• G92

Votes: 8 25.0%
  • Stay with 7900GS

Votes: 19 59.4%

• Total voters

Eurasianman

Distinguished
Jul 20, 2006
I sort of want to upgrade my video card, then again, not. I sort of know how the graphics card industry works. The 8800 has been out for about half a year now, and if history serves me right, there's a refresh about every 6 months or so. However, I did a Google search on the G92 (successor to the G80) and it looks like it might be released around Christmas. But then again, who knows?

Direct X 10 wagon hasn't really left yet either. Right now, I game at 1280x800 and as most know, Vista kind of kills the FPS. I just got Shadowrun last week (exclusive to Vista), so I don't plan on going back to XP. I get about an average of 30 FPS (not too bad in my opinion for a new game). However, the only game that really bothers me is F.E.A.R. I'm not sure if it's the drivers, or something else, but I can play F.E.A.R. for about 10-20 minutes before my FPS takes a dive down (not sure why). I'll get around 60 FPS and then out of nowhere, it'll drop to 20 FPS. All my other games work fine (WoW, S.T.A.L.K.E.R., HL2, BF2142, Shadowrun, Flight Simulator X, etc.)

I don't really have any real issues with my graphics card. However, I sort of feel like I could get better with my build. If I upgrade anything else, it would be to a Quad Core, another 2 gigs of RAM, and perhaps Vista 64.

Let's hear some opinions/advice :)

Emtiph

Distinguished
Feb 1, 2007
I honestly think you should stay with the 7900GS (for now). I myself was tempted by the 8800GTS 320MB version and had a view of buying one this summer. However, I would honestly wait until we can at least look at how these cards preform with some benchmarked DX10 games. We know they are wonderful with DX9, but no one knows how they'll preform with their intended DX10.

I would just say don't get tempted with all the power (in this situation) when no DX10 games, and thus benchmarks, are out.

With regards to your low fps in certain games, well that's almost certainly attributed to a still premature Vista. Once they've fixed everything and video card company's have got full Vista compliant drivers that don't have the issues that they are currently having all should be better.

I myself have the Sapphire Radeon X1950Pro (can be compared to your card, although will beat it in most benchmarks) but the 7900GS does overclock better than the X1950Pro, so with regards to your low fps (Vista) for the time being you might want to look into OC'ing it to get some extra power until when it seems sensible to replace it (when DX10 games are out). But honestly, for now, I don't see the need to go DX10 yet. I play ALL my games at 1680x1050 with all settings up high + AAx4 and 6xAF (usually no HDR though) and all I get no performance issues or low FPS at all. I am on XP Home.

Eurasianman

Distinguished
Jul 20, 2006
I honestly think you should stay with the 7900GS (for now). I myself was tempted by the 8800GTS 320MB version and had a view of buying one this summer. However, I would honestly wait until we can at least look at how these cards preform with some benchmarked DX10 games. We know they are wonderful with DX9, but no one knows how they'll preform with their intended DX10.

I would just say don't get tempted with all the power (in this situation) when no DX10 games, and thus benchmarks, are out.

With regards to your low fps in certain games, well that's almost certainly attributed to a still premature Vista. Once they've fixed everything and video card company's have got full Vista compliant drivers that don't have the issues that they are currently having all should be better.

I myself have the Sapphire Radeon X1950Pro (can be compared to your card, although will beat it in most benchmarks) but the 7900GS does overclock better than the X1950Pro, so with regards to your low fps (Vista) for the time being you might want to look into OC'ing it to get some extra power until when it seems sensible to replace it (when DX10 games are out). But honestly, for now, I don't see the need to go DX10 yet. I play ALL my games at 1680x1050 with all settings up high + AAx4 and 6xAF (usually no HDR though) and all I get no performance issues or low FPS at all. I am on XP Home.

LOL!!! Yea, I checked Tom's Hardware VGA charts. I was going to get the ATI X1950 Pro, but the retailer I was purchasing from (newegg.com) only had Sapphire cards (which were the cheapest). But I read the reviews on them and people were complaining that they had multiple issues. Therefore, I just went with the 7900GS. In a way, I'm kind of happy with it. My previos card, ATI X1900XT 512 GDDR3, was broken while in the process of having the original heatsink placed back on (I messed something up when removing the Accelero X2 heatsink cooler). The ATI X1900XT ran really hot. I read that the X1950 Pro used a different process that was to allow it to run cooler, but people still complained that the heatsink/fan cooler was loud and not very good.

Also, over the weekend, I read that it's easier to use nvidia cards with linux than ATI, hence another reason why I'm glad I chose the 7900GS. Just wished I would have gotten a SLI mobo :?

I was thinking about doing a dual boot with Vista/XP, but am too lazy and don't want to go through the hassle.

Looking at the poll, you guys suck! :tongue: 50/50 as of 11:37 AM GMT Jun 11, 2007.

Eurasianman

Distinguished
Jul 20, 2006
Get yourself a Diablo 2 or Titan Quest game for $20, it will play very well on your 7900 GS. By the time you finish it the G92 will be out :p

Played both... not my type of game. I like RPG and RTS, but don't like playing Diablo 2 or Titan Quest.

Any other suggestions?

Btw, I'm still working on Oblivion: Shivering Isles for XBOX 360, S.T.A.L.K.E.R., and Flight Simulator X :tongue:

Farhang

Distinguished
Mar 20, 2007
Hey man.
I voted for 8800GTX and i have some reasons:
First, even with my 2 years old single core Athlon64 and a 8800GTS i`m playing ALL (i mean all) of my games 1600x1200+16xAA/16xAF with exceptional FPS(except Supreme Commander in heavy battle scene and that's because the game designed for Dual/Quad-core CPUs)and my CPU is nothing compare to your CPU, so combine your CPU with a 8800GTX and you should be able to play ANYTHING at ANY setting at least in this year!
Second, waiting for the G92 is useless cause no one knows where exactly it comes & it won't come at least until Xmas, so buying a 8800GTX allows you to enjoy Ultra-High-Quality gaming until it comes.(and some months after that!)
Third, I hate waiting! :x
Forth, 8800GTX
67zisnc.gif
, Your CPU
67zisnc.gif
----->
67zisnc.gif
+
67zisnc.gif
=Dual
67zisnc.gif

Fifth, You won't get disappointed by buying a 8800GTX.(I promise! :tongue: )
Sixth, Just make sure you have a
67s261f.gif

slim142

Distinguished
Jan 29, 2006
I too have a 7900GS KO HDCP from eVGA which has been good so far.

However, I have been so tempted with the 8800GTS 320mb (specially with the sexy ass ACS3) but I start thinking, if I buy this card then....

1) Ill be left with no money
2) If someday I go 1920x1200, I will be in a super lag because of lack of video memory
3) I think it will be a waste of money because NVIDIA just said they will cut the prices of 8000 series cards and also ATI is gonna release their new X2950XTX and also G92 is coming so I think I can wait for now :)

pignoli

Distinguished
Jan 2, 2007
Stay with the 7900gs, they overclock like a dream and should easily last you until the next refresh, when you can re-assess the situation.
It's doubtless vista thats causing your slowdowns, as your hardware is definitely up the task.

Emtiph

Distinguished
Feb 1, 2007
Second, waiting for the G92 is useless cause no one knows where exactly it comes & it won't come at least until Xmas, so buying a 8800GTX allows you to enjoy Ultra-High-Quality gaming until it comes.(and some months after that!)
Third, I hate waiting! :x

Who the hell said wait for the G92?
I said wait will 8800's are benchmarked with DX10. Why the shit would you get DX10 when no DX10 games are out? Sure you can get great visual effects with zero negative performance issues, but you can with my card and the XT version.

FeareX

Distinguished
Mar 13, 2006
I've voted for keep the 7900.
But its really up to you. Upgrade if you feel the need to. I don't know how long you already own the 7900 but its not that old and still runs games fine.

And it's just like you said, the 8800 is out for half a year and probably you can better wait for the g92 to come out, the 7900gs wil hold you out long enough.

smartel7070

Distinguished
Feb 26, 2006
I say stick with the gs also. I just got a 22" widescreen and was afraid the gs would be a little weak to drive it so I was thinking of going with a 8800gts 320 but after a weekend of gaming I am sticking to the gs for a while still. If you wanna get some more life out of yours overclock it .... I do 575/800 with mine with a zalman vf-700cu on it.

rodney_ws

Splendid
Dec 29, 2005
I have a whole cabinet dedicated to awards like the one you gave me. Although it may have sounded like I was being a smart-ass... I really wasn't. Some people are perfectly content to game at lower resolutions... others aren't.

Battou

Distinguished
Apr 5, 2007
Keep what you got. I'm still gaming on a X800 and would love to have the card you have. I'm still thinking of buying one, if only the price would come down a little more :)

Eurasianman

Distinguished
Jul 20, 2006
Heh, I didn't have a choice really. I broke my ATI X1900XT card and it'd be a waste to just have my computer sit around for nothing.

And I didn't have a spare PCI Express graphics card either... luckily, this card was on sale on newegg for $149.99 after rebate, but before S/H (still waiting on rebate :? . But yea, it was the only card that had HDCP. I figured, if I was going to buy another card, might as well make sure it was HDCP capable. :)

TRENDING THREADS