CPU, GFX Card, etc. problems POSSIBLY related to PSU?

njvisitor

Distinguished
Jun 10, 2007
Hey all,

For the past few months or so, my computer (which I assembled about 3-4 years ago, from all brand new parts) has been giving me problems. Every so often, it says "Overclocking Failed" at the BIOS (and sometimes, the temp. of the CPU is very high at BIOS) upon rebooting. Another problem is that after the Windows loading screen goes away, the computer screen would essentially "turn off" (the monitor light would go to the "suspend mode"). This happens more frequently than the Overclocking issue.

Just yesterday, I kept getting the "Overclocking Failure" message and the monitor-shutoff issue, except it KEPT happening - just 2 days ago, the house power went out 3 times, consecutively, in a matter of 20 minutes (my computer was on the whole time, so it got shutoff 3), that's when the problem intensified.
Now, the computer wont even turn on...

My specs:

P4 2.8 Northwood
P4P800-D Mobo
4x 256Mb DDR400 RAM
200Gb 7200 ATA Maxtor HD
XtremeMusic Soundcard (PCI)
nVidia 6800 Ultra (AGP)
1 DVD-RW/CD-RW/CD-R Optical Drive
RAIDMAX 420W PSU (came with the case)
3x90mm Fans

All are approx. 3-4 years old (except the DVD-RW and the XtremeMusic). I use my computer pretty heavily (gaming, movies, studio programs, etc.).

Could these problems possibly be related to the PSU?

And now that the PSU is dead, do you think replacing it with a better quality PSU will make the above problems go away?

Thanks,