Sign in with
Your question

Computer doesn't Recognize HDD

Last response: in Windows XP
August 19, 2009 5:22:01 PM

I am running XP Pro on my computer. On another drive I have windows 7. My computer stopped booting to my XP drive all of a sudden, but it would let me boot to my Windows 7 drive. That lasted for about 3 days. Now I can't boot to either drive. When I start the computer it says there is no HDD. I tried to use the XP disk to repair, that didn't work., so I thought I'd do an XP install. But my hard drive doesn't show up all the time. Or it will show the HDD but upon trying to pick a partition to set up XP in, it then tell me there is no HDD. I get the blue screen of death, and have to manually force a shut down. Other times it tell me that the HDD is RAW, and it needs to be formatted.

My question is, HELP!

How can I get the HDD to format? Is there a way to do it through DOS. Sometimes I can't even get to the DOS prompt. The bootup section is corrupt. I need to repair it, but can't if the system doesn't see my HDD.

Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks!

More about : computer recognize hdd

August 19, 2009 7:06:34 PM

Try a new cable. It could be a loose or defective cable.

Can you get into the BIOS? Can you get it to boot off the XP disc? If not, the problem isn't in the HD.
August 19, 2009 7:51:54 PM

If you are using a IDE harddisk make sure the jumpers are set correctly sometimes cable select has issues. Ive had problems similar also with dual booting Windows Vista and XP. U have to install the older OS first t hen install the newer one from what i have found. Its been while since i have dual booted but that was the problem i ran into.
Related resources
August 20, 2009 3:21:22 PM

how old is the computer, it could be a motherboard problem, download the Ultimate Boot CD and see if you can run the diagnostics
August 20, 2009 5:18:58 PM

aford10 said:
Try a new cable. It could be a loose or defective cable.

Can you get into the BIOS? Can you get it to boot off the XP disc? If not, the problem isn't in the HD.

I can get into the BIOS, and I can boot off of an XP disc. But... when I try to install XP, it will then say that there is no HD. My HDD is an ATA disk.

The computer is only 3 years old. Where can I get an Ultimate CD Boot?
August 20, 2009 5:29:53 PM

number13 said:
how old is the computer, it could be a motherboard problem, download the Ultimate Boot CD and see if you can run the diagnostics

I found the UBCD, is it the same program as WIN.ISO, you build a bootable CD with options to add drivers etc?
August 20, 2009 6:36:44 PM

UBCD has a bunch of diagnostic programs built into it.

Did you check to make sure the cable is snug or try a new cable?
Have you tried the manufacturers HD diagnostic?
August 20, 2009 8:03:51 PM

aford10 said:
UBCD has a bunch of diagnostic programs built into it.

Did you check to make sure the cable is snug or try a new cable?
Have you tried the manufacturers HD diagnostic?

Yep, Checked the cable, and tried a new one, I don't have a manufactures's disk.

I'm trying to make the UBCD, but it keeps giving me error messages, and won't make the ISO file
August 20, 2009 8:08:14 PM

You don't need a disc to use the manufacturers diagnostic. You can download them off their website.

Have you checked out this walk through for UBCD4W?
http://www.ubcd4win.com/howto.htm
!