Computer doesn't Recognize HDD

KanadianKewlKat

Distinguished
Aug 19, 2009
I am running XP Pro on my computer. On another drive I have windows 7. My computer stopped booting to my XP drive all of a sudden, but it would let me boot to my Windows 7 drive. That lasted for about 3 days. Now I can't boot to either drive. When I start the computer it says there is no HDD. I tried to use the XP disk to repair, that didn't work., so I thought I'd do an XP install. But my hard drive doesn't show up all the time. Or it will show the HDD but upon trying to pick a partition to set up XP in, it then tell me there is no HDD. I get the blue screen of death, and have to manually force a shut down. Other times it tell me that the HDD is RAW, and it needs to be formatted.

My question is, HELP!

How can I get the HDD to format? Is there a way to do it through DOS. Sometimes I can't even get to the DOS prompt. The bootup section is corrupt. I need to repair it, but can't if the system doesn't see my HDD.

Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks!

MGDJoker

Distinguished
Aug 19, 2009
If you are using a IDE harddisk make sure the jumpers are set correctly sometimes cable select has issues. Ive had problems similar also with dual booting Windows Vista and XP. U have to install the older OS first t hen install the newer one from what i have found. Its been while since i have dual booted but that was the problem i ran into.

KanadianKewlKat

Distinguished
Aug 19, 2009

I can get into the BIOS, and I can boot off of an XP disc. But... when I try to install XP, it will then say that there is no HD. My HDD is an ATA disk.

The computer is only 3 years old. Where can I get an Ultimate CD Boot?

KanadianKewlKat

Distinguished
Aug 19, 2009

I found the UBCD, is it the same program as WIN.ISO, you build a bootable CD with options to add drivers etc?

KanadianKewlKat

Distinguished
Aug 19, 2009

Yep, Checked the cable, and tried a new one, I don't have a manufactures's disk.

I'm trying to make the UBCD, but it keeps giving me error messages, and won't make the ISO file

TRENDING THREADS