3250 time warner dvi setup

Last response: in Home Theatre
Share
January 31, 2005 5:29:37 AM

just hooked up a sa3250 using passport software and a dvi/­hdmi
port......while i can select all resolutions and you can see­ each
screen flicker as it changes in component i cant seem to get­ anything

but 1080i out of the hdmi port no matter how many other reso­lutions
are
checked off.if i check off only 1080i or 72op by themselves ­i will
get
either resolution but if i check both off together only 1080­i comes
thru. 2.im using time warner and im starting to think the bo­x will
only
output to dvi/hdmi in one fixed output. dont forget passport­ has no
pass thru mode.interesting too,when in dvi mode there is no ­output
format selection listed in the 3250hd settings screen,it onl­y appears
when in component video output
January 31, 2005 3:36:07 PM

I found with my T-W box (8000 HD) I can pick say 1080i AND 480p, and it will
choose the latter for SD and 1080i for high-def. But overall, it causes some
weird things to pick off more than one choice. After all, if you have a good
HDTV which uses 1080i, that is the ONLY setting you ought to use. Remember,
T-W caters to people with all kinds of TVs. Just pick your own TV's choice.
Roger
Anonymous
January 31, 2005 5:44:31 PM

MATTY wrote:
> just hooked up a sa3250 using passport software and a dvi/­hdmi
> port......while i can select all resolutions and you can see­ each
> screen flicker as it changes in component i cant seem to get­ anything
>
> but 1080i out of the hdmi port no matter how many other reso­lutions
> are
> checked off.if i check off only 1080i or 72op by themselves ­i will
> get
> either resolution but if i check both off together only 1080­i comes
> thru. 2.im using time warner and im starting to think the bo­x will
> only
> output to dvi/hdmi in one fixed output. dont forget passport­ has no
> pass thru mode.interesting too,when in dvi mode there is no ­output
> format selection listed in the 3250hd settings screen,it onl­y appears
> when in component video output

You might want to review my comments in the following post:

http://groups-beta.google.com/group/alt.tv.tech.hdtv/ms...

Note that the 3250HD (at least mine) does not have a HDMI output, it is
only DVI (along with the other outputs). Big difference...

Also, as a result of the steps that I had to go through in the above
post to get DVI to work, which had to be repeated every time that I turn
on the STB since the setting was not retained, I have given up on DVI
for now and gone back to component video. The DVI connection, while
providing a better quality picture, was too much of a PITA to use.

HTH,

Marc
Anonymous
February 1, 2005 11:45:39 PM

Marc Schwartz wrote:
> MATTY wrote:
>
>> just hooked up a sa3250 using passport software and a dvi/­hdmi
>> port......while i can select all resolutions and you can see­ each
>> screen flicker as it changes in component i cant seem to get­ anything
>>
>> but 1080i out of the hdmi port no matter how many other reso­lutions
>> are
>> checked off.if i check off only 1080i or 72op by themselves ­i will
>> get
>> either resolution but if i check both off together only 1080­i comes
>> thru. 2.im using time warner and im starting to think the bo­x will
>> only
>> output to dvi/hdmi in one fixed output. dont forget passport­ has no
>> pass thru mode.interesting too,when in dvi mode there is no ­output
>> format selection listed in the 3250hd settings screen,it onl­y appears
>> when in component video output
>

> You might want to review my comments in the following post:
>
> http://groups-beta.google.com/group/alt.tv.tech.hdtv/ms...
>
> Note that the 3250HD (at least mine) does not have a HDMI output, it is
> only DVI (along with the other outputs). Big difference...
>
> Also, as a result of the steps that I had to go through in the above
> post to get DVI to work, which had to be repeated every time that I turn
> on the STB since the setting was not retained, I have given up on DVI
> for now and gone back to component video. The DVI connection, while
> providing a better quality picture, was too much of a PITA to use.

Hey Marc, I'm not sure if your 3250 box is the same as mine, but mine is
a Scientific Atlanta Explorer 3250HD. According to Comcast's
instructions, you're supposed to turn on your TV first, and while the
cable box is OFF, press guide and info (the top two black buttons) at
the same time and it should automatically go to the menu on how to setup
your box. After you're done with the setup, you just turn the power
button and you're all set.

I followed everything to a T and it's retaining all of my setup.

Dude, how can you *even* consider going back to component video after
seeing a DVI TO HDMI connection???!!! :-)

good luck,
-Naz

!