Sign in with
Your question

Programs start failing when pc on too long

Last response: in Windows Vista
November 18, 2009 9:58:39 PM

Problem: when I boot up and open several programs, I have no problems. However, after a few hours, even if I have walked away from the computer, some programs stop working, and when I try to open them again, I get errors.
Examples: Skype gave System Error: Code 8. Not enough storage is available to process this command.
Right clicking on the Computer icon and clicking properties, the window opens up but says Page Cannot Be displayed.
Try to open Regedit and I get Application Error - The application failed to initialize properly (0xc0000142).

If I close all the open programs, and then reopen one of the ones that stopped working, it works fine.

A few weeks ago, I had a terrible malware infection, and it took me days to remove it, but I finally succeeded. The problem began after that, I think, although before I found the malware with HijackThis I had frequent system crashes so the system wasn't up long enough for programs to start failing....not sure if there is registry damage, or some buffer or cache is set too low and gets filled.

I have Vista Home Premium (32 bit), NTFS. 2 gigs of ram which is new, and Windows Memory Checker finds no problem with the ram. 200 gig harddrive with only about 65 gig full, and a slave 1 Terrabye drive with only 1/8th full.

Any suggestions short of reformatting the hard drive and reinstalling the o.s.?
November 19, 2009 12:15:15 AM

I think you still have a malware problem... something is filling up memory while your system is idle. The best solution would be formatting and reinstalling.
!