MSI K9N Platinum overclocking problem

rawsteel

Distinguished
Oct 5, 2006
Hi.

I recently bought MSI K9N Platinum and AMD 64 x2 3600+. The Processor is nice and overclocks extremely well, however I have a lot of problems with my mobo.

First It shutdowns whenever I try to change the processor voltage (no matter by how many even +0.05v)
I read about this problem and it turns out to be hardware problem with one of the capacitors. It seems I got the older revision and I am little screwed about it but anyway. My processor seems to overclock easy to 280Mhz bus which is about 2.66Ghz but after that my mobo dies. I think the chipset cant go over 280Mhz. Does anyone else have same mobo and tell me what overclock of the bus they achieved. I am limited by my multiplier and I feel bad that my processor can go much higher and my mb is the limit. I am overclockin the machine from Windows with the DualCoreCenter app because the BIOS is hell. Every time I change some value and save it turns off and I need to reset the bios.

I also bought a fan to blow on the chipset radiator in case the chipset fails because of overheating but this doesnt helped me achieve more than 280 Mhz. Also regretfuly there is no way I can up the chipset voltage as its not in the bios.

Does someone knows if a later bios can add chipset voltage setting or this depends on the MB make and it cant be done if its already isnt?

Thanks to all replies in advance

Regards (TG forums are the best :) )

bobbknight

Distinguished
Feb 7, 2006
As I see it your options are:

Live with it, and run it at stock speeds.

Send it back to where you bought it, and eat the restocking fee, and buy one from another store hoping for the best.

Send it to MSI and hope they fix it, you'll prolly get you same unfixed board back.

Buy another board.

rawsteel

Distinguished
Oct 5, 2006
Unfortunately I cant RMA as I live in Bulgaria and I doubt that is an option. Return the MB for new one from my retailer is also not an option as I will most probably get the same broken release as the current one.

I was just asking if anyone with same mobe has achieved higher than 280 FSB (my HT is set to 3x resulting in less than 1000 mhz).

Another question is are there MB's which can achieve more than 300Mhz fsb for AM2? and how much more :)

thanks

Parrot

Distinguished
Feb 13, 2005
Unfortunately I cant RMA as I live in Bulgaria
It doesn't matter where you live, MSI after sales and tech support SUCK!
I also think that their products are third rate. You should learn from your mistakes and in future buy a REPUTABLE brand like ASUS or DFI.

rawsteel

Distinguished
Oct 5, 2006
To tell you the truth I have used ASUS and "reputable" brands before and sometimes I have troubles with them also. There are products from ASUS that also have problems like MB ASUS M2N-E. I have read a lot about it as it is comparable to K9N Platunum and people reported problems with it also. I am not brand junkie, I try to buy the best for my price value. The thing is that I didnt find problems while checking the K9N untill I bought it and knew the exact problem to search for ;)