Any disadvantage to running windows on a large drive?

zebus

Distinguished
Jun 11, 2007
I'm currently in the process of building a computer, and all i got left to pick it out is the hard drive.

I was either going to go with a single raptor 150, new single 750 gig hitachii, or two cheaper drives in raid.

It seems in reviews that the 750 hitachi is every bit as good as the raptor in benchmarks, and at nearly the same price. So which option would be best for me.

I was leaning towards the hitachi because of the reviews, but I wasn't sure if running windows and all my apps/files one drive would be a bad thing or not performance wise. Otherwise I was just going to do raptor or two small drives in raid, and add a storage drive later when I get the money.

powerbaselx

Distinguished
Feb 23, 2006
I was either going to go with a single raptor 150, new single 750 gig hitachii, or two cheaper drives in raid.

It seems in reviews that the 750 hitachi is every bit as good as the raptor in benchmarks, and at nearly the same price. So which option would be best for me.

I was leaning towards the hitachi because of the reviews, but I wasn't sure if running windows and all my apps/files one drive would be a bad thing or not performance wise. Otherwise I was just going to do raptor or two small drives in raid, and add a storage drive later when I get the money.

I have the idea that big drives are very fast in the first sectors and then drop a lot in performance in the other 3/4 of the disk. The Raptors have less capacity and fast disk access all the time.

Anyway, i have configured two WD Caviar SE 80GB SATA150 in RAID0 and the performance is really good, maybe close to a single Raptor.