Linux for new iPaq 6315?

a b α HP
July 26, 2004 11:13:23 AM

Archived from groups: comp.sys.handhelds (More info?)

There is an announcement (
http://zdnet.com.com/2100-1103_2-5282083.html?tag=zdfd.... ) for
a new iPaq H6315 from HP having everything modern communication
technology (besides GPS):

* GSM/GPRS
* WLAN
* Bluetooth
* Camera
* 320x240 display
* 64MB RAM and 64MB FLASH
* detachable QWERTY

(Some features added from a different source).

Does anybody know if there will be a Linux for that device soon?

-- hns

More about : linux ipaq 6315

Anonymous
a b α HP
July 27, 2004 12:05:56 PM

Dr. Nikolaus Schaller wrote:

> Does anybody know if there will be a Linux for that device soon?

Depends on what you define as "soon" ;)

If there are people available able to work on it and if HTC has made the
specs available to HP a'nd the porting team and if enough test devices are
spread chances are good that we will see a port one day.

Oliver
Oliver Fels
Feed manager/Coordination
Project OPIE- the Open Palmtop Integrated Environment
http://opie.handhelds.org
IRC: irc.freenode.net #opie #opie.de
Anonymous
a b α HP
July 27, 2004 12:18:52 PM

Archived from groups: comp.sys.handhelds (More info?)

Dr. Nikolaus Schaller <hns@computer.org> wrote about yet another nice
and shiny PocketPC device:
[...]
> Does anybody know if there will be a Linux for that device soon?

Pretty unlikely for my definition of soon. Look at the support status for
the 1xxx, 2xxx and 4xxxx. The handhelds.org people get no specs from HP -
they even have to buy the devices to start working on a port - and there
are just too few people interested enough in participating on kernel work.

:M:
Dipl.-Inf. Michael 'Mickey' Lauer mickey@tm.informatik.uni-frankfurt.de
Raum 10b - ++49 69 798 28358 Fachbereich Informatik und Biologie
a b α HP
July 27, 2004 1:37:36 PM

Michael 'Mickey' Lauer <mickey@tm.informatik.uni-frankfurt.de> wrote in message news:<2mmhfcFo577uU1@uni-berlin.de>...
> > Does anybody know if there will be a Linux for that device soon?
>
> Pretty unlikely for my definition of soon. Look at the support status for
> the 1xxx, 2xxx and 4xxxx. The handhelds.org people get no specs from HP -

As far as I remember it was strongly supported by Compaq (iPAQ) but
which company
wants to affort to support such projects at the moment...

> they even have to buy the devices to start working on a port - and there
> are just too few people interested enough in participating on kernel work.

Hm, the problem is:
* many new devices coming out over the year
* each one uses different internal specs
* small number of kernel developers

So why not thinking about a more generic Linux kernel that does not
replace PocketPC but uses its system API and keeping the specific
specs of the device hidden? Something like coLinux? Would that be a
feasible future?

-- hns
Anonymous
a b α HP
July 29, 2004 6:39:34 PM

"Dr. Nikolaus Schaller" <hns@computer.org> wrote in message
> Michael 'Mickey' Lauer <mickey@tm.informatik.uni-frankfurt.de> wrote in
message news:<2mmhfcFo577uU1@uni-berlin.de>...
> > > Does anybody know if there will be a Linux for that device soon?
> >
> > Pretty unlikely for my definition of soon. Look at the support status
for
> > the 1xxx, 2xxx and 4xxxx. The handhelds.org people get no specs from
HP -

> As far as I remember it was strongly supported by Compaq (iPAQ) but
> which company
> wants to affort to support such projects at the moment...
>
> > they even have to buy the devices to start working on a port - and there
> > are just too few people interested enough in participating on kernel
work.

> Hm, the problem is:
> * many new devices coming out over the year
> * each one uses different internal specs
> * small number of kernel developers
>
> So why not thinking about a more generic Linux kernel that does not
> replace PocketPC but uses its system API and keeping the specific
> specs of the device hidden? Something like coLinux? Would that be a
> feasible future?
>
> -- hns

Best you get working on it then.... Don't always sit on the backs of others,
sometimes it's your turn to carry....
Anonymous
a b α HP
July 30, 2004 5:03:22 AM

"John Smith" <soneone@microsoft.com> wrote in message news:<ceauir$rhe$1@newstree.wise.edt.ericsson.se>...

> Best you get working on it then.... Don't always sit on the backs of others,
> sometimes it's your turn to carry....

Yes, sure - if it is worthwhile to start carrying at all and if I am
really able to carry that. I want to find out that first.

BTW: are you really working at MS as your e-mail address indicates?
Anonymous
a b α HP
July 30, 2004 6:12:35 PM

Archived from groups: comp.sys.handhelds (More info?)

Hi,

I know that the processor used by the 6315 is a TI OMAP 1510 for which a
Linux port exists, the major problem will be the GSM part.

.... Collin

--
Collin R. Mulliner <collin@betaversion.net>
BETAVERSiON Systems [www.betaversion.net]

Dr. Nikolaus Schaller wrote:

> BTW: are you really working at MS as your e-mail address indicates?

Would you expect the following mail address to be real:
Stefan Schmidt<jemand@microsoft.de>
;)

John Smith as a name is, besides John Doe, the most common generic name
combination.
Interesting fact, a whole lot of motel registration forms carry that name
especially if couples arrive with a one night reservation. *g*

Oh, yes, I should refrain from watching that much american sequels and
movies :-)

Oliver
Anonymous
a b α HP
July 31, 2004 4:03:22 PM

Collin R. Mulliner wrote:

> I know that the processor used by the 6315 is a TI OMAP 1510 for which a
> Linux port exists, the major problem will be the GSM part.

The most difficult part is the adaption of the hardware abstraction layer.
The wiring of the different chipsets via ASICS differs from device to device
and in lots of cases the specs are not available.

Drivers for GSM et al are not that complicated, in most cases they can be
accessed like a serial device.

Make it fit together and create the boot loader is the critical part.

Oliver
Oliver Fels
Feed manager/Coordination
Project OPIE- the Open Palmtop Integrated Environment
http://opie.handhelds.org
IRC: irc.freenode.net #opie #opie.de
Anonymous
a b α HP
September 6, 2004 5:22:55 PM

Archived from groups: comp.sys.handhelds (More info?)

Hi,

> Make it fit together and create the boot loader is the critical part.

I've done some research found some good looking information:

http://www.muru.com/linux/omap/
http://focus.ti.com/omap/docs/omapgenpage.tsp?navigatio...

I think this looks very good - though I still haven't decided if I buy a
6315 or not.

.... Collin

--
Collin R. Mulliner <collin@betaversion.net>