Buying new System, need advice on DDR3

Al3xki

Distinguished
Jan 25, 2006
I'm buying a new system and The site recommends getting a P35 mb to stay on top. I can't afford DDR3 modules so I've bought these: GeIL 2GB (2x1GB) PC6400C4 800MHz Ultra Low Latency DDR2 Dual Channel Kit (GX22GB6400UDC). The thing is will they work on a DDR3 mb or should I get one that specifically says it accepts DDR2 and DDR3.

Thanx, any advice is appreciated I can't afford to make a wrong decision

Mondoman

Splendid
No, they won't work in DDR3 slots. It will take a while until DDR3 RAM becomes available that's faster than DDR2 at a reasonable price. Don't bother getting a DDR3 MB, just get a DDR2-only P35 MB. You definitely don't want a MB that takes both, as that will limit the total amount of RAM you can install.

mad_murdock

Distinguished
Nov 3, 2006
You definitely don't want a MB that takes both, as that will limit the total amount of RAM you can install

From the pics posted on Tom's site. The one P35 board had the usual 4 DDR2 slots and 2 DDR3 slots. Seeing how DDR3 is going to be where pretty much every one buys 2x2GB, I don't see where this would be a huge problem.
http://www.tomshardware.com/2007/05/21/intel_intros_3-series_chipsets_with_fsb1333_and_ddr3/page6.html

Sure you may not be able to upgrade to 8GB, but we don't really need 4GB, by the time anyone needs 8GB, it will be time to upgrade to DDR4.
I understand there is a select group of Photoshoppers and 3dMaxers out there that need 8GB. But I'm talking namely to the gaming and casual crowd.

I agree at this point, DDR3 is too pricey to consider (you can get 4GB DDR2 for $300 vs 2GB DDR3 for $493) and the performance numbers don't show much either. So sticking with a DDR2 board makes the most sense. Unless you grab the one that offers both like the one pictured above in Tom's article

TRENDING THREADS