Router for my current connection... and future one?

minty

Distinguished
Jul 24, 2006
Hello :)

After much thinking I will get a router.
Basically the idea is connecting my two PCs, to my internet connection.

My internet connection is a cable that goes from the roof of the builiding to my flat. So Im guessing there is probably another router up there.
My IP is "global", aka its not a local IP, so im guessing that's good.

I have two concerns:

1. My idea is to connect both PCs to the router (not going wireless, just wired). then the router to the RJ45 cable that is provided by my ISP.
If I ever switch to ADSL, am I gonna have problems? Like, I can use this same exact setup, with difference being, I will have to connect the router to the ADSL modem and that's it? Same features and all? (Well of course in this case Ill just need 1 extra cable to connect the router to the modem).

2. When the guys from my ISP installed my connection, they cut about 6 feet of remaining cable, and I saved it :p
Is that cable going to work or do I need special one?
Im confused because of crossed, straight etc...
So Im guessing it all depends on the patching, but the cable is the same always? :?

3. If I switch to ADSL, it will be a small change... from my current 300K to maybe 1 MB... will this make any difference in the patching? I mean, Ive read about patching standards and the like, but maybe a small change like this, means no changes at all in the patching?

Thanks for your time :wink:

kitchenshark

Distinguished
Dec 30, 2005
If I'm understanding your questions correctly then.

1. Your setup should be fine if you switch to ADSL. All you need to do is connect your router to the new modem.

2. Network cable is network cable (generally speaking). As long as it has the right number of conductors (wires) then all you need is to punch down two RJ45 ends on it and you'll have your cable. Just make sure that you get the wires in the same order on each plug though! Meaning you have to get the colors matched up, doesn't matter what order, they just have to be the same on each plug. You only need a crossover patch cable if you're connecting two PCs network card to network card.

3. I think this question is part of question 1. If you have your comps hooked to a router, then all you have to do is connect your router to the new modem if you switch.

kitchenshark

Distinguished
Dec 30, 2005
You're very welcome! ^^

If you switch ISPs there's a slight chance you might have to re-configure router settings, but I just can't see you needing to change your network wiring.

minty

Distinguished
Jul 24, 2006
Oh I see.
Well as long as I dont have to change the network I think some reconfiguration wont be so bad.

Thanks again :)

TRENDING THREADS