Why is "Color Quality"only upto 32 bit in x64 XP?

HolyDoom Witch

Distinguished
Nov 24, 2008
As you can see the title, I just upgraded to x64 version from 32 bit XP. But to my disappointment, the display properties only show up to 32 bit. Where is the 64 bit option? Here is the hardware I have:

E2140 @ 1.6ghz
2GB
Intel 945 Express Chipset (PC Chips; "P17G") (Installed 64 bit Chipset Configuration Utility from Intel's site)
HD 4870 512mB (Sapphire; box states x64 XP supported) (Installed 64 bit 9.8 Catalyst)
17" Flatron CRT (LG)

I had thought that while playing games, wherever there would be unmixed colors, they would now be mixed properly, like steam coming in dark areas in a game, or too many colors not fading into each other properly. But looks like I would need to do with the 32 bit only I guess.

Thanks

Solution
Thanks, I had given up hope for this thread.

Q1.
But can you tell, what does my card mean by supporting 64x systems, only that it can be installed in such an environment? And not that it can produce 64bit colors in that environment?
It supports 64 bit operating systems, not 64 bit colors. Basically it's for a compatability report.

Q2.
Secondly, I can also not make out from the AMD site, what kind of a card is this FireGL (or even the Quadro by Nvidia). I don't happen to understand the difference. If a GT285 or an HD 4870 is enough for games, then what do these lines of product represent? May be THIS is the only difference between both types of cards, that the one I have, and the GT series, are 32 bit, whereas this series we have...

fmmarmello

Distinguished
Sep 14, 2009
Well, despite you have a good computer, this option (64b) is only turned on when you have a video card that supports it, like FIRE GL and QUADRO, you have an amazing VGA, but that is not made for this pattern of colors.

HolyDoom Witch

Distinguished
Nov 24, 2008

Q1.
But can you tell, what does my card mean by supporting 64x systems, only that it can be installed in such an environment? And not that it can produce 64bit colors in that environment?

Q2.
Secondly, I can also not make out from the AMD site, what kind of a card is this FireGL (or even the Quadro by Nvidia). I don't happen to understand the difference. If a GT285 or an HD 4870 is enough for games, then what do these lines of product represent? May be THIS is the only difference between both types of cards, that the one I have, and the GT series, are 32 bit, whereas this series we have here, is 64bit.

Q3.
Can these type of cards be used for conventional gaming? Which would mean that they are going to give TWICE as much quality in visual effects as the 32 bit cards. Or, they are just special cards for special purposes, which are going to be inefficient for conventional gaming. May be they are just for development of the games and some other uses, just like you have very powerful server processors, but like everybody says, none can be used for gaming they are so inefficient in graphics. In other words is it feasible for someone to buy such a card and install in their system for just playing the games, and get twice the quality of 32bit cards?

Thanks

AsAnAtheist

Distinguished
Sep 15, 2009

Q1.
It supports 64 bit operating systems, not 64 bit colors. Basically it's for a compatability report.

Q2.
Secondly, I can also not make out from the AMD site, what kind of a card is this FireGL (or even the Quadro by Nvidia). I don't happen to understand the difference. If a GT285 or an HD 4870 is enough for games, then what do these lines of product represent? May be THIS is the only difference between both types of cards, that the one I have, and the GT series, are 32 bit, whereas this series we have here, is 64bit.
FireGL/Quadros are known for graphic design. Those suckers CAN put out 64 bit color, not to mention put out insane amounts of graphic processing powers (NOT DESIGNED FOR GAMES). Most if not all gaming cards DO NOT output 64 bit color, they are gaming cards.

Q3.
Can these type of cards be used for conventional gaming? Which would mean that they are going to give TWICE as much quality in visual effects as the 32 bit cards. Or, they are just special cards for special purposes, which are going to be inefficient for conventional gaming. May be they are just for development of the games and some other uses, just like you have very powerful server processors, but like everybody says, none can be used for gaming they are so inefficient in graphics. In other words is it feasible for someone to buy such a card and install in their system for just playing the games, and get twice the quality of 32bit cards?
Quadros/FireGL cards cannot be used for gaming very efficiently... actually probably not at all. They are indeed special cards for special purposes... intensive graphic outputs, sometimes used for 3d modeling, architecture (not building buildings)... etc

Thanks

Solution

HolyDoom Witch

Distinguished
Nov 24, 2008
Matter of fact I had asked similar questions to the Sapphire tech. Matter of fact I had asked them 3 questions in great detail, instructing them twice to give separate answers to each of them. (These hi-tech support people can piss you off easily.) But this is the only answer they gave:

"
Dear Sir :
The color depth is nothing related with X86/X64 edition of OS.

No matter X86 or X64 bit OS you are using , the color depth only can adjust to 32bit.

Tks.

"

This means, that even if it is a FireGL, then you CANNOT EVER, EVER have 64bit color depth. Yes sir.

(Strange! Somehow I felt I have some great background images on the desktop, with STUNNING visual quality, especially color and clarity wise, that I thought I have never seen on a 32 bit XP. (I have x64 XP these days; runs much faster.)

Thanks