Avira Free Anti-Virus...no spyware protection?
Well...just for heck of it, I decided to try the Avira Personal Free Anti-Virus on my computer. Well, in the main inferface it only says that anti-virus is on, but i dont see anything about anti-spyware on. However on the website it says the free version gives anti-spyware so I am guessing in the program when it says Anti-Virus, it means anti-virus and anti-spyware right? On the website i saw it did say is gives both. Please help as if it has no anti-spyware, then i wont use it. Thank you for any help
so the Avira Free Personal Anti-Virus has spyware already built in? Cause i dont see anything in there that says spyware, all i see is anti-virus is enabled. I am saying this becuase in AVG it clearly says Anti-Virus is enabled and then is says Anti-Spyware is enabled. However in Avira it only says Anti-Virus is enabled. I am guessing in avira, anti-virus a general term for both anti-spyware and anti-virus? RIGHT? please tell me and thank for the help.
tiple said:Wow! I never saw so many pop-ups, large in size sometimes, as was the case on my desktop when I installed the free version of Avira.
I nuked the insidious Bas---d after a week and installed avast.
Disable the Avira AntiVir avnotify nag screen :.
1. Click Start, and then click Run
2. In the Open box, type gpedit.msc, and then click OK
3. Expand User Configuration, expand Administrative Templates, and then expand System
4. In the right pane, double-click Don't run specified Windows applications
5. Click Enabled, and then click Show
6. Click Add, and then type the executable file name of the program (avnotify.exe) that you want to restrict users from running.
7. Click OK, click OK, and then click OK (NOTE: If domain-level policy settings are defined, they may override this local policy setting.)
8. Quit Group Policy Object Editor
9. Restart the computer
Windows 2000/XP: (2000 & XP Pro do not require you to boot into safe mode)
1. Boot into Safe Mode (tap F8 repeatedly after you restart the computer)
2. Log in using the Administrator account
3. Go to C:\Program Files\Avira\AntiVir PersonalEdition Classic\avnotify.exe
4. Right-click avnotify.exe-> properties-> security-> advanced
5. Under the Permissions tab click on SYSTEM under Permission entries:
6. Edit-> Traverse Folder / Execute File-> deny-> ok ->apply-> yes -> ok-> ok
7. Reboot the computer into Normal Mode (start-> shutdown-> restart)
Windows XP Pro & Vista Business/Ultimate/Enterprise
1. Start-> Control Panel
2. Administrative tools-> Local security policy
3. Click on Software Restriction Policy-> Action (at the top)-> create new restriction policies
4. Right-click additional rules (on the right side)-> new path rule
5. Click Browse and navigate to C:\Program Files\(Avira)\AntiVir PersonalEdition Classic\ and double-click avnotify.exe
6. Set the security level to Disallowed-> apply-> ok
Windows Vista Home Premium
1. Go to C:\Program Files\Avira\AntiVir PersonalEdition Classic\avnotify.exe
2. Right-click avnotify.exe-> properties-> security->
3. Under the group or username SYSTEM click edit
4. Put a checkmark under the DENY column for "read and execute"