Can't do a System Restore

rajkalyan

Distinguished
Jan 1, 2009
Hey guys,

My computer is going out of whack, as usual. :sarcastic:
As I said in my previous post, every startup includes a dozen or so registry recovery messages. :fou:
I've tried to Restore my computer except every time it starts up again, it says incomplete shutdown interrupted the restoration. Help? :heink:

rajkalyan :bounce:

rajkalyan

Distinguished
Jan 1, 2009
Uh if your computer is out of whack enough to have a dozen error messages, I am pretty sure your best path is nice good old demolishing your OS and reinstalling it ;)

Well in that case.... where is my hammer?!?!
Is there anything I can do before searching for my hammer?
Besides fixing the coffee machine?

blackhawk1928

Distinguished
Well...you can try a system repair, it basically doesn't format anything or earase you data or programs but it rebuilds your registry completly and you need to redo all windows updates, its not that hard but it might save you. Basically insert your Operating System Installation disk, and once it starts the reinstallation process it should give you the option to do a windows repair, do it and try it, if nothing helps, then find your hammer.

ig neap

Distinguished
Oct 15, 2008

rajkalyan

Distinguished
Jan 1, 2009

Nils

Distinguished
Aug 7, 2008
Look, after you've solved the problem and got your OS healthy again (repair or reinstall), make sure you get a decent backup utility. Do not use the build-in Windows system restore thing.

I'm using a very small but smart program called Snapshot. Like the name already says, it makes a snapshot of any partition you want, bootable or not. In my case it makes an image of the C partition which contains the OS and its settings and all other software. If something goes wrong with it, I simply restore the image from DOS (as you can't rewrite Windows while it's running) and my PC handles the same way as it did when I made the image or took the snapshot.
This is great protection against viruses and stuff like that. I only use an anti-virus to detect viruses, not removing them. As soon as I found out some viruses entered my PC, I restore a clean backup and they're all gone. Simple as that.

rajkalyan

Distinguished
Jan 1, 2009

And yes, as a mof (matter of fact) i did. but when it restarts it goes to regular mode and i get a dozen registry windows.... @_@

So you need to run a registry cleaner. I know you mentioned that you have some, but some do more harm than good. A real good one is ccleaner. You can download it here, it's the best one I've used.
http://www.ccleaner.com/

Since you're having problems in normal windows, boot into safe mode and run it there. See if that fixes you up.

rajkalyan

Distinguished
Jan 1, 2009

Thanks. I'll try that. I actually got a GAOTD program, Premium Booster. It has some Reg cleaner stuff. I think I'll try that, If that doesn't work, I'll get ccleaner and, wheres my hammer.....