Sticky Keys at startup

seahorse

Distinguished
Aug 24, 2009
I have a desktop computer and cannot enter my password to log on because the STICKY key function is on. A window box appears and it says click OK to leave sticky keys on and Cancel for To turn it off and the SETTINGS key is disabled (can't click it). I clicked cancel and it still won't work. I held down both shift keys but still I cannot get the keyboard working. The backspace button types something but I am not sure what and I cannot sign onto my computer in Windows XP? Now what do I do?

seahorse

Distinguished
Aug 24, 2009
It types into the password box area and will not disable the sticky keys at all. I start to type on the keyboard and the sticky key display box comes up again. This keeps happening and I cannot get it to disable at all. I shut down a few times but still it keeps happening. I even disconnected the keyboard and started it again but it keeps coming up with sticky key display and won't let me type in my password to get into the main computer.

The settings box is there but it won't let me click on it at all as an option. Very Frustrating and I don't know what to do.

seahorse

Distinguished
Aug 24, 2009
I tried clicking the shift key 5 times and it just types into the password box area and will not disable the sticky keys at all. I start to type on the keyboard and the sticky key display box comes up again. This keeps happening and I cannot get it to disable at all. I shut down a few times but still it keeps happening. I even disconnected the keyboard and started it again but it keeps coming up with sticky key display and won't let me type in my password to get into the main computer.

The settings box is there but it won't let me click on it at all as an option. Very Frustrating and I don't know what to do.

btk1w1

Distinguished
Oct 13, 2008
Two things you can try.

First.

Run system restore from safe mode.

Boot into safe mode by following the steps for XP linked below:

http://www.pchell.com/support/safemode.shtml

Once you are in safe mode the page linked below will tell you "How to use System Restore to restore Windows XP to a previous state":

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/306084

Be sure to select a date prior to the sticky keys problem.

Second

kellys korner may have a couple of tweaks that can help you.

Go to the link below and scroll down to line 211, Right hand side

(2 options) Disable Sticky Keys or Delete Sticky Keys

http://www.kellys-korner-xp.com/xp_tweaks.htm

Boot into safe mode with networking and run the fixes.

How to boot XP into safe mode:

http://www.pchell.com/support/safemode.shtml

Run one fix (.reg file) by downloading it to the desktop. Double click the .reg file and allow the registry merge. Reboot your PC normally to see if the problems persists.

If no change, reboot into safe mode again and run the other fix.

seahorse

Distinguished
Aug 24, 2009
DID NOT WORK. Problem is I can't even get the keyboard to type the F8 key. The left keys seem to be typing something but not the correct letter. Other keys don't type at all. It is NOT a keyboard problem. It came with the gateway I have and is wireless. The mouse works. There is no plug in the back for a keyboard since this is a media computer from gateway made back in 2004. I can't even plug another keyboard in this thing. I am stuck! This is making me CRAZY! Can't believe this happened. I don't know what to do at all.

I can turn on the computer and the password page comes up that is it! I can shut off the computer with the mouse. That is it! Cannot get into the computer to type the password since the keyboard is in sticky keys. The sticky key box comes up and I can click either OK or Cancel and Settings button does not work at all! I held down the shift key and it types into the password box. I held down both shift keys same thing. I clicked shift key 5 times and it types in the password box That is it. HELP! :cry:

btk1w1

Distinguished
Oct 13, 2008
A quick reply....

It won't be an Operating system issue if the keys aren't working while the PC is booting up. (You are hitting F8 as soon as the pc starts booting?)

There may be a chance that the shift key is sticking?

Do you use a USB or the older PS2 keyboard?

btk1w1

Distinguished
Oct 13, 2008
If there are USB ports you can try another keyboard.

It's a 99% chance the keyboard is the issue. The drivers may have become corrupted somehow or it might only be that the batteries in the keyboard are a little weak.

Sorry if the responses are fragmented, I had a little tyke hanging off me during my response and I was trying to respond as quick as possible.

seahorse

Distinguished
Aug 24, 2009
Yes I have a wireless keyboard and I will have to bring another one home with a USB port that is wireless (from work I can get). That may be the answer and when this happened I immediately put new batteries in the keyboard so it isn't the batteries.

seahorse

Distinguished
Aug 24, 2009
The keyboard has no usb port connection because it is a media center PC desktop where the monitor and the harddrive are connected so there is no usb connection for the keyboard and mouse. Maddening isn't it?

seahorse

Distinguished
Aug 24, 2009
It is now working. Brought a usb wireless keyboard home from work and now I know it was the keyboard itself. I went into accessibility options and saw the sticky keys weren't even checked in the settings function to use sticky keys. So I will now buy a new keyboard for my computer.

Thanks for helping me figure this out. :)