Programs disapearing in xp pro!!!

curlykale

Distinguished
Nov 5, 2006
Hi,
I'm about to go mad! I am on my second XP pro install. In the last, I was installing daemon tools which required a restart. My pc wouldn't restart and I had to do it via the power button, bad, I know. On start-up, the taskbar had disappeared and I had to reboot (again the power button). I slected 'last known configuration that worked. Windows opened and looked fine until I realised that half my programs were apparently missing. I looked in C programs and they were there but could not be accessed through all programs. Some desktop shortcuts had also disappeared as had some window install items such as games.
I decided that I had somehow damaged the reistry and I carried out another new install. This looked perfect and was running well until I installed power iso which required a reboot. It rebooted perfectly but when windows opened......again a lot of programs aren't showing up in START-all programs! Power iso and everything else is in the programs folder but I want to access it the normal way. Also shortcuts for Google earth and Apps have gone.
Some windows apps have gone as well! On the previous install I tried 5 different dates to do a system restore but they all failed. Does anyone know what is going on, please?
Thanks in advance.......

After a fresh windows XP install, the immediate next steps should be as follows:

> Install MB/system drivers
> Install video card driver
>install all MS OS updates (SP3 covers SP1 and SP2)
>install personal apps

curlykale

Distinguished
Nov 5, 2006

That's what I always do, by the book I've successfully re-installed windows at least a dozen times but I've never had these problems before.

curlykale

Distinguished
Nov 5, 2006

I see an all users folder and my name on the other folder.

G

Check the Desktop folders in your user folder and the All User folders to see if the missing icons may be in those folders.

curlykale

Distinguished
Nov 5, 2006
Hi, thanks, I've done a complete re-install. Everthings fine but I still have a bit more to install........
Some of the progs were in the two folders but not all.