Blast From The Past

Last response: in Home Theatre
January 31, 2005 9:41:43 PM

Archived from groups: alt.video.digital-tv,alt.tv.tech.hdtv (More info?)

Its in how you define "excellent" I guess. Back in 1999 I defined it
COFDM. Motorola said about their latest 8-VSB chip at the time...

"... chip that provides excellent signal reception, even under difficult
ghost
signal conditions found often in urban areas."

How is Motorola doing on this problem some 5 1/2 years later BTW?

Bob Miller

Here is the 1999 BS release from Motorola.

> [...]
>Wil Salhuana, Vice President and General Manager, Entertainment
>Solutions Division, Motorola. "The MCT2100 demonstrates Motorola's
>ability to engineer original, forefront technology solutions, which
>in this case, will have a significant impact on the quality of
>digital television technology."
>
>Glenn Reitmeier, Vice President for DTV and Web Media at Sarnoff,
>said the new chip means that all of the capabilities of the ATSC
>standard will be available to TV set makers and their customers, the
>viewers. "The MCT2100 is a major step forward in implementing the
>perfect pictures and reliable data transmission that the creators of
>the ATSC standard intended for DTV and HDTV."
>
>"The development of this technology demonstrates Motorola's
>commitment to provide the industry with solutions for the ATSC
>standard," said Bob Stokes, Director, Digital TV Operations,
>Motorola.
>
>The MCT2100 is a member of Motorola's M-DTV(tm) chip set, which
>provides low-cost solutions to make digital television more
>affordable to the consumer, easing consumer's transition from analog
>to digital formats. The M-DTV chip set provides solutions for DTV
>sets, satellite and cable set-top boxes and digital versatile disk
>(DVD) players.
>
>The MCT2100 is part of Motorola's DigitalDNA(tm) technology, the
>intellectual property that makes up the heart of intelligent
>consumer and business devices.
>
>About Motorola
>As the world's #1 producer of embedded processors, Motorola's
>Semiconductor Products Sector offers multiple DigitalDNA(tm)
>solutions which enable its customers to create new business
>opportunities in the consumer, networking and computing,
>transportation, and wireless communications markets. Motorola's
>worldwide semiconductor sales were $7.3 billion (USD) in l998.
> http://sps.motorola.com/
>
>Motorola is a global leader in providing integrated communications
>solutions and embedded electronic solutions. Sales in 1998 were
>$29.4 billion (USD).
> http://www.motorola.com/
>
>About Sarnoff
>Sarnoff Corporation creates and commercializes electronic,
>biomedical and information technology. Founded in 1942 as RCA
>Laboratories, Sarnoff has been a wholly owned, for-profit subsidiary
>of SRI International since 1987. Building on decades of innovation,
>including the development of color television and the liquid-crystal
>display, Sarnoff now works with a wide variety of industry and
>government clients to develop and improve specific technologies that
>will help change the world. A key element of the company's overall
>strategy is the founding of new companies that bring its
>technologies to market. Eleven such companies are in various stages
>of development.
>
> # # #
>
>M-DTV and DigitalDNA are trademarks of Motorola, Inc.

More about : blast past

Anonymous
February 4, 2005 6:21:24 PM

Archived from groups: alt.video.digital-tv,alt.tv.tech.hdtv (More info?)

<snip>

I'm curious, just what do you hope to accomplish by posting this stuff in a
newsgroup?

Pagan
Anonymous
February 5, 2005 1:24:19 AM

Archived from groups: alt.video.digital-tv,alt.tv.tech.hdtv (More info?)

You posting to yourself?
Anyone interested in why a Chinese or wherever system might be better than
ours?

> [...]
> > http://www.motorola.com/
> >
> >About Sarnoff
> >Sarnoff Corporation creates and commercializes electronic,
> >biomedical and information technology. Founded in 1942 as RCA
> >Laboratories, Sarnoff has been a wholly owned, for-profit subsidiary
> >of SRI International since 1987. Building on decades of innovation,
> >including the development of color television and the liquid-crystal
> >display, Sarnoff now works with a wide variety of industry and
> >government clients to develop and improve specific technologies that
> >will help change the world. A key element of the company's overall
> >strategy is the founding of new companies that bring its
> >technologies to market. Eleven such companies are in various stages
> >of development.
> >
> > # # #
> >
> >M-DTV and DigitalDNA are trademarks of Motorola, Inc.
February 5, 2005 2:01:12 AM

Hasenpfeffer wrote:
> You posting to yourself?
> Anyone interested in why a Chinese or wherever system might be better than
> ours?

Yes I am interested. Do you have some information on it?

Or are you suggesting that we should not be interested in a better
system than the one we have. Ever? For how long? Not if it is Chinese?

The fact is most of the basis for the COFDM Chinese DMB-T modulation
comes from the old Bell Labs right here in the good old USA. We can be
patriotic and have a modern modulation system also.

Let's put it this way. If the Chinese system can deliver 4 1080P HD
programs in one 6 MHz channel, the receiver cost $12.99, they throw in a
free HD set and they send a technician in white gloves to install it is
anyone interested in whether a Chinese system is better than ours? We
seem to be OK with just about everything else Chinese.

Bob Miller

!