Sign in with
Your question

Hard drive space goin to quick

Last response: in Storage
June 11, 2007 11:31:40 PM

I just bought a new 500gb hardrive for my computer, and I have a huge problem with it. First of all, when I first started it up it only came with 465 gb on it. This might be normal, but now when I come home from work or after downloading a file that wasn't even that big, the space almost gets taken up wayyy to quick. Like I am already down to 393 GB and I am barley downloading that much at all. This is a very very weird problem and I can't figure it out. Anyone know how to make it take up normally? cuz i'm sure there is a problem here.
Thanks,
Zman
June 12, 2007 5:41:04 AM

Well, having a little less than you expected on the drive is normal (look up byte in wikipedia), FYI my 320gb HDD shows up as a 298gb drive so 465gb sounds normal. Can anyone else use your computer? They might be putting stuff on it. Otherwise, try and find out where all the data is going. Also, is this drive the one that contains windows?
a b G Storage
June 12, 2007 6:38:38 AM

You might want to look at the properties in the Windows folder, Programs, and My Documents. If any of those use huge amounts of space, you can easily pin-point what's using it all up like games, music, movies, whatever.

You may also have a worm :twisted:
Related resources
June 12, 2007 1:35:01 PM

A great program for discovering where drive space is being used is WinDirStat, short for Windows Directory Statistics. It has a wonderful graphical display of the files on the drive, with each file proportionally represented to show how much space it's using, and files and folders grouped together.
June 28, 2007 9:48:50 PM

no like i used WinDir and it says thats I have only used up 35 GB but when I click on properties on my computer, it says I have taken up 97 GB. Is there someway to make my hard drive display the right amount of space yyet? Because I'm not sure which one is right. Also, when I start up my computer it says No Hard Drive found, and also something about RAID. I don't know if thats of any significants to the problem, but my hard drive really is there. Anyone know the solution to any of this?
Thanks,
Zman
a b G Storage
June 29, 2007 3:48:03 AM

Yeah. First off, Windows considers gigabytes as 1024mb, while hard-drive companies consider 1gb as 1000mb. This is why Windows shows you have less space, but you don't. So neither are wrong.

Again I will suggest that you go through your documents and see what folders are taking up the most space. It's the easiest way to find out what's doing it. If your downloads folder is taking up a lot, then you've found your answer. If your Windows folder is larger than, say, 5GB, then you may have a worm that is eating up space. If your programs folder is taking up a lot of space, then start uninstalling stuff. It's not hard to find out where your space is being taken up. Do you have a lot of music? That takes space. Do you have a lot of games? Those can take a LOT of space. Try that program someone suggested. It will tell you where most of that 'lost' space has been allocated.

Nobody can give you any simple answer here. Anything is possible, so YOU will need to do the research on YOUR PC. Nobody can sit here and say "Oh yes, this is what's wrong. You have THIS problem exactly. How do I know? I just know! I'm that good. I KNOW you have 13 games each worth 5GB because I'm smart like that." No, nobody can know that unless you tell them. Only you can find out. If you find out the Windows directory is holding 20GB, then go in there and single out which folder is taking up the most space. If you find a single file named "lolIgotyougoodLOSER.dat" and is like 15GB, well, use your brain ;) 

Good luck!
June 29, 2007 5:26:19 AM

Hey try this really quick:

- Go to Control Panel and get to your Internet Options.
- Click "Settings" under Temporary Internet Files
- Set your amount of disk space to use to between 50-100Mb

Then Delete Cookies, Delete Files, and Clear History.

Afterwards, use Disk Cleanup and check under "Compress old files" to see if your PC has been compressing files.

But honestly, I think you have a virus/worm/spyware/adware on your PC...
I would run an virus scan and/or spyware scan if I were you.
a b G Storage
June 29, 2007 6:49:09 PM

another thing to remember is that there are 2 ways the computer can report disk usage. Actual usage by file size and usage by how much space those files take up. Example: If your disk is set at 4K cluster then a 1k file will use all of the 4k cluster. A 5k file will use two clusters.
In the report it may show 5k of usage but 8k on disk usage.
My music folder shows a size of 22,604,566,612 bytes, Size on disk is 22,614,032,384 bytes, almost 10 meg differance.

My father had a virus/worm that kept duplicating a 37kb file over and over. Once I got rid of it he had an extra 6-7 gig more space.

Do a thorough cleaning of your system. Delete all temp files, internet files, cookies, spyware, windows temp folder, prefetch folder, etc..
June 30, 2007 4:45:51 AM

soo i can delete my whole windows folder?? because it is like 8 GB r u sure I can delete every single temp folder also? I will continue rto run more tests becaue I honestly think there is a bug. Thnx sooo much for the help.

Zman
June 30, 2007 6:44:07 AM

please guys its kinda urgent
a b G Storage
July 2, 2007 6:09:32 PM

Dont delete the windows folder!!!!

You can delete the files in these folders:
c:\windows\temp You can delete all the files in that folder. Some may be in use though.

C:\WINDOWS\Prefetch You can delete all files in this folder. Windows will make new ones that are needed.

C:\Documents and Settings\'account name'Local Settings\Temp
You can delete all the files in this folder also. Also do the Temporary Internet folder also.

If you dont need to uninstall any of the windows updates you can delete the install/uninstall folders. c:\windows\$NtUninstall.... Folders will be blue. May have to check "Show hidden files and folders" under the Folder options window, look under view.
July 2, 2007 6:49:35 PM

Turn off system restore. You mentioned downloading as well. If you use multi-part systems (BitTorrent, edonkey2000, etc), a lot of extra space will be used until the parts are built into the output file(s). Having a bunch of stuff in progress simultaneously will have a scalar effect.
July 2, 2007 7:26:14 PM

dont delete the windows folder that would kill your system.
July 2, 2007 10:00:02 PM

Don't turn off System Restore, but you can reduce how much it uses, default is 12% :!:
Start - Control Panel - System System Restore Tab Adjust as required.

Mike.
!