LCD for quake3? (Hyundai q17)

Last response: in Video Games
September 24, 2004 5:33:14 AM

I need some opinions about playing quake3 on Hyundai q17. I'm not concerned
about ghosting since I played UT on it (unfortunatly they didn't have quake
3 installed) and the picture quality was great, no ghosting or afterglow
effect whatsoever. If I didn't know otherwise I would have thought I was
playing on CRT.

What concerns me though is if I'll experience picture tearing when playing
quake3 on 125 fps with 60 or 75 Hz refresh rate. I do get this artifact
when playing on 60 or 75 Hz on CRT, so I was wondering if it's any
different when playing on LCD since it's screen refreshing mechanism works
fundamentally different?

Comments appreciated.

Lars.

More about : lcd quake3 hyundai q17

Anonymous
September 24, 2004 5:33:15 AM

I have a sony 17" LCD with a 16ms response. No ghosting at all. Great for Q3
and other FPS games. I do get tearing. No artifacts though. I got tearing
with my 21" Sont Trinitron too.

"Lars Willis" <lwillis@yahoo.com> wrote in message
> I need some opinions about playing quake3 on Hyundai q17. I'm not
concerned
> about ghosting since I played UT on it (unfortunatly they didn't have
quake
> 3 installed) and the picture quality was great, no ghosting or afterglow
> effect whatsoever. If I didn't know otherwise I would have thought I was
> playing on CRT.
>
> What concerns me though is if I'll experience picture tearing when playing
> quake3 on 125 fps with 60 or 75 Hz refresh rate. I do get this artifact
> when playing on 60 or 75 Hz on CRT, so I was wondering if it's any
> different when playing on LCD since it's screen refreshing mechanism works
> fundamentally different?
>
> Comments appreciated.
>
> Lars.
Anonymous
September 24, 2004 2:43:00 PM

On 9/23/2004 10:50 PM Diezel brightened our day with:

>I have a sony 17" LCD with a 16ms response. No ghosting at all. Great for Q3
>and other FPS games. I do get tearing. No artifacts though. I got tearing
>with my 21" Sont Trinitron too.

What's the model number on the Sony LCD? I'm thinking about finally
getting a flat panel for myself for xmas. Gah, I have a 5 year old Dell
19" CRT, it's been a total trooper but it's time for a change.

One thing I want to get is one that is DVI ready and includes a DVI
cable. That seems surprisingly rare. Don't just about all video cards
these days have DVI out? It can't imagine having a digital flat panel
and using an analog cable.

--
"...forged but accurate."

Steve ¤»Inglo«¤
www.inglostadt.com
September 25, 2004 12:55:27 AM

I have a 17in Sony SDM-S73 LCD and it kicks my old 21" Trinitron CRT's ass.
was really worried when I ordered it. 16ms response time. No artifacts. No
ghosting. Colors are amazing. I run all my games in 1280x1024, except for
Doom III, which I run 640x480. If you run 1024x or 800x the game doesn't
line up on the screen anymore. It does in 640x480. I LAN a lot which is one
of the main reasons I got a LCD. Glad I did. Lugging a 21inch monitor is a
bitch. Now I can carry all my stuff in one trip if someone grabs the door
for me =) Yes you can setup the game to V-Sync and get no tearing but your
not going
to be sitting at 125fps anymore. It would drop it down to a constant 60. No
good. The slight
tearing isn't very noticeable either.

Stylez/Soulfly [AGQx]

"Inglo" <ioo@??.¿¿¿> wrote in message
> On 9/23/2004 10:50 PM Diezel brightened our day with:
>
> >I have a sony 17" LCD with a 16ms response. No ghosting at all. Great for
Q3
> >and other FPS games. I do get tearing. No artifacts though. I got tearing
> >with my 21" Sont Trinitron too.
> >

> What's the model number on the Sony LCD? I'm thinking about finally
> getting a flat panel for myself for xmas. Gah, I have a 5 year old Dell
> 19" CRT, it's been a total trooper but it's time for a change.
>
> One thing I want to get is one that is DVI ready and includes a DVI
> cable. That seems surprisingly rare. Don't just about all video cards
> these days have DVI out? It can't imagine having a digital flat panel
> and using an analog cable.
>
> --
> "...forged but accurate."
>
> Steve ¤»Inglo«¤
> www.inglostadt.com
September 25, 2004 3:44:51 AM

In article <lNidnVLUlskPKM7cRVn-vQ@centurytel.net>,
diezel@absolutewiSPAM.com says...

> I have a sony 17" LCD with a 16ms response. No ghosting at all. Great for Q3
> and other FPS games. I do get tearing.

It's not great if you get tearing.

> I got tearing
> with my 21" Sont Trinitron too.

That's because you don't know how to set it up properly. I have no
tearing on my 21" Sony since I've set r_displayRefresh to 120 and
r_swapInterval to 1.
September 25, 2004 6:41:35 AM

"Jason" <asdf@asdf.asdf> wrote in message
> In article <lNidnVLUlskPKM7cRVn-vQ@centurytel.net>,
> diezel@absolutewiSPAM.com says...
>
> > I have a sony 17" LCD with a 16ms response. No ghosting at all. Great
for Q3
> > and other FPS games. I do get tearing.
>
> It's not great if you get tearing.

There isn't a LCD on the market with a refresh as high as the maximum FPS on
Quake 3. Tearing is not noticeable to a degree where it should be a concern
on a top end Sony TFT, but TFT is not upto CRT in this regard.

PM
Anonymous
September 25, 2004 8:18:46 PM

On 9/24/2004 6:41 PM PM brightened our day with:

>"Jason" <asdf@asdf.asdf> wrote in message
>

>>In article <lNidnVLUlskPKM7cRVn-vQ@centurytel.net>,
>>diezel@absolutewiSPAM.com says...
>>

>>>I have a sony 17" LCD with a 16ms response. No ghosting at all. Great
>>>

>for Q3
>

>>>and other FPS games. I do get tearing.
>>>

>>It's not great if you get tearing.
>>

>There isn't a LCD on the market with a refresh as high as the maximum FPS on
>Quake 3. Tearing is not noticeable to a degree where it should be a concern
>on a top end Sony TFT, but TFT is not upto CRT in this regard.
>
>PM

play at 75 Hz w/ vsync on (r_swapinterval 1) and make sure the servers
you frequent have pmove_fixed on if tearing bothers you that much.
I can run Quake3 at 1280x960@85Hz w/ 6x temporal AA and 16xAF and get a
steady 85 fps and still make the jump to the mega health in Q3DM13 with
pmove_fixed 1. I haven't played Q3 online in a long time so I don't
know if that setting is enabled or not on most servers. I don't see why
it wouldn't be. That's one of the whole reasons why doom 3 has the
whole fixed tic thing, so people don't need to get 125 fps.

--
"...forged but accurate."

Steve ¤»Inglo«¤
www.inglostadt.com
Anonymous
September 25, 2004 11:38:40 PM

Inglo wrote:
> On 9/23/2004 10:50 PM Diezel brightened our day with:
>
>> I have a sony 17" LCD with a 16ms response. No ghosting at all.
>> Great for Q3 and other FPS games. I do get tearing. No artifacts
>> though. I got tearing with my 21" Sont Trinitron too.
>>

> What's the model number on the Sony LCD? I'm thinking about finally
> getting a flat panel for myself for xmas. Gah, I have a 5 year old
> Dell 19" CRT, it's been a total trooper but it's time for a change.
>
> One thing I want to get is one that is DVI ready and includes a DVI
> cable. That seems surprisingly rare. Don't just about all video
> cards these days have DVI out? It can't imagine having a digital
> flat panel and using an analog cable.
>
> --
> "...forged but accurate."
>
> Steve ¤»Inglo«¤
> www.inglostadt.com

Steve,
A link to the monitor I'm looking at this very moment:
http://www.envisiondisplay.com/products.asp?EPage=produ...

At first, I was put off by the 25ms response time. Whatever all the
terminology means, I can tell you for a fact that this monitor plugged
into the DVI port of either the 9800 Pro, GF4 Ti4600, or FX5900 has a
gorgeous image. And that is in 2D, watching DVD movies full screen,
playing Doom3, Far Cry, UT2004. Ghosting while using DVI is minimal.
I feel it was a good choice. I needed something that used DVI as the
NEC1760V I already had was analog VGA only. I wanted dual monitors. I
have dual monitors now. I'll be happier with another 19" LCD :)
--
McGrandpa [AGQx]
Anonymous

On Sat, 25 Sep 2004 16:18:46 GMT, Inglo wrote:

> play at 75 Hz w/ vsync on (r_swapinterval 1) and make sure the servers
> you frequent have pmove_fixed on if tearing bothers you that much.
> I can run Quake3 at 1280x960@85Hz w/ 6x temporal AA and 16xAF and get a
> steady 85 fps and still make the jump to the mega health in Q3DM13 with
> pmove_fixed 1. I haven't played Q3 online in a long time so I don't
> know if that setting is enabled or not on most servers.

It's not.

> I don't see why
> it wouldn't be.

Because pmove_fixed 1 gives you a different feeling that people who aren't
used to it dislike, so most servers (except tricking ones) have it turned
off by default. Some even disable the possibility of voting it.
Anonymous
October 7, 2004 7:11:22 AM

In article <lNidnVLUlskPKM7cRVn-vQ@centurytel.net>,
diezel@absolutewiSPAM.com says...

> I have a sony 17" LCD with a 16ms response. No ghosting at all. Great for Q3
> and other FPS games. I do get tearing.

What exactly do you mean by tearing? Tearing happens when screen
refresh is not synced with frame rate so frames get mixed up, but since
LCDs are not refreshing whole screen like CRTs but only pixels that
changed tearing should not happen.
!