Shutdown Hangs Up

steve

Distinguished
Sep 10, 2003
Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.basics,microsoft.public.windowsxp.configuration_manage,microsoft.public.windowsxp.help_and_support,microsoft.public.windowsxp.newusers (More info?)

When Windows XP Home is told to "Shutdown" or Reboot" it hangs up with a
small window with title "Windows XP" and message "Please Wait...
Saving your settings...". Only way to recover is to power off/on. Just
started recently, probably due to something I changed. SymantecGoBack is no
help. Restore has been disabled.

Please advise.

Thanks

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.basics,microsoft.public.windowsxp.configuration_manage,microsoft.public.windowsxp.help_and_support,microsoft.public.windowsxp.newusers (More info?)

Have you tried the Shutdown Troubleshooter?
Open the Help and Support Center and search for: shutdown troubleshooter.

You can also find help from the knowledge base on Microsoft's web site. For
example:

"Resources to help troubleshoot shutdown problems in Windows XP"
http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;308029

I think there are one or newsgroups that might have missed.
--
Ted Zieglar
"You can do it if you try."

"Steve" <spinetxnj1NOSPAM@verizon.net> wrote in message
> When Windows XP Home is told to "Shutdown" or Reboot" it hangs up with a
> small window with title "Windows XP" and message "Please Wait...
> Saving your settings...". Only way to recover is to power off/on. Just
> started recently, probably due to something I changed. SymantecGoBack is
no
> help. Restore has been disabled.
>
> Please advise.
>
> Thanks

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.basics,microsoft.public.windowsxp.configuration_manage,microsoft.public.windowsxp.help_and_support,microsoft.public.windowsxp.newusers (More info?)

On Shutdown problem:
Have you checked your Power Management settings?
Get into Control Panel----Power Management---and turn on
APM ---Advanced Power Management .
That should take care of it.

If not, see Jim Eshelman's Windows website. He has an article on Shutdown
issues
http://aumha.org/win5/a/shtdwn­xp.htm

--
Maurice N