Sign in with
Your question

P4 2.6C vs. Core 2 Duo Q6600

Tags:
Last response: in CPUs
June 12, 2007 3:13:52 AM

First, yes, this is totally crazy and stupid, but bear with me.

I might be able to get a killer deal on this CPU and (matching) motherboard - and obviously with it, I would get new ram (2 GB) and video card (and all that...)

Obviously, this would be stupidly faster that my 2.6C - but how much so (in general terms if you could compare the CPU performance raw)?

According to Newegg, I ordered that CPU in December 2003, so it is 3.5 years old...and Crysis is coming out soon :p  - so I know its time.

More about : core duo q6600

June 12, 2007 3:19:08 AM

Well, the Q6600 is a 2.4ghz processor. On average, a 2.4ghz Conroe is equivalent to a 4.8 Netburst.

So to equal in performance to the Q6600, you would need seven of the P4 chips.

Disclaimer: This is not definitive.
June 12, 2007 3:43:22 AM

LOL, I like how that sounds.

And that doesn't even cover the fact everything is running, what 4X faster or more (memory and all that stuff)?
Related resources
June 12, 2007 4:33:42 AM

Pentium 4 2.6GHz

Core 2 Q6600
June 12, 2007 4:39:12 AM

Quote:
Pentium 4 2.6GHz

Core 2 Q6600

nice
a b à CPUs
June 12, 2007 4:42:44 AM

Quote:
First, yes, this is totally crazy and stupid, but bear with me.

I might be able to get a killer deal on this CPU and (matching) motherboard - and obviously with it, I would get new ram (2 GB) and video card (and all that...)

Obviously, this would be stupidly faster that my 2.6C - but how much so (in general terms if you could compare the CPU performance raw)?

According to Newegg, I ordered that CPU in December 2003, so it is 3.5 years old...and Crysis is coming out soon :p  - so I know its time.

A 2.6 user who swears the 2.4 q6600 won't touch it.

http://img383.imageshack.us/img383/8859/iraqimoronhp4.j...
June 12, 2007 4:52:58 AM

LMAO! I appreciate the effort, it was worth it!!!
June 12, 2007 6:48:39 AM

well, i can't really say, you see, to give you an idea of performance increase it would be mostly understandable to give you a multiple or a ratio, but since the 2.6=0 in the ratio or as a multiple it would be impossible, or it would mean the q6600 is infinitely better... ok, so it is... but that is beside the point.
a b à CPUs
June 12, 2007 7:36:36 AM

Quote:
well, i can't really say, you see, to give you an idea of performance increase it would be mostly understandable to give you a multiple or a ratio, but since the 2.6=0 in the ratio or as a multiple it would be impossible, or it would mean the q6600 is infinitely better... ok, so it is... but that is beside the point.

A Q6600 is about to be had for under $300. I have one. It will be hard to resist building with a 45nm Penryn when it comes out later this year. OP is thinking quadcore jumping from his single core. Asking if there is really that big of a difference is like asking if a bear sh!ts in the woods. My correlation is not far off. No where near to the efingftard in the picture.
June 12, 2007 7:43:32 AM

Quote:
Well, the Q6600 is a 2.4ghz processor. On average, a 2.4ghz Conroe is equivalent to a 4.8 Netburst.

So to equal in performance to the Q6600, you would need seven of the P4 chips.

Disclaimer: This is not definitive.

The 2.6C has HT (Hyper-Threading) so it's more 5 - 6 P4 2.6Cs. :lol:  ;)  in multithreaded apps.
June 12, 2007 8:28:04 AM

I'll agree with that any day. Great comparisson.
June 12, 2007 9:00:48 AM

Quote:
The 2.6C has HT (Hyper-Threading) so it's more 5 - 6 P4 2.6Cs. Laughing Wink in multithreaded apps.

I hope that was sarcastic 8O
June 12, 2007 9:36:57 AM

Quote:
The 2.6C has HT (Hyper-Threading) so it's more 5 - 6 P4 2.6Cs. Laughing Wink in multithreaded apps.

Nope, not sarcastic at all. Before dual core the only multithreading (albeit limited) possible on a consumer CPU was the P4s with HTs.

My old machine was a 2.6C @ 3.3GHz, so I have 3 years of real world experience on it. It was a solid CPU, a bit dated now obviously but it handled multitasking much better than my other machine with an XP-M @ 2.6GHz, even though the XP-M probably edges it in single threaded performance.

Compare video encoding times with HT on/off and you won't think I'm being sarcastic.
June 12, 2007 6:20:27 PM

It is amazing how fast my computer is for having a 4 year old CPU/MB/RAM (I do have a 6600GT in it) - but new games just don't run with the same enthusuasm as 4 year old ones :?

Basically, I am going to hold off until my computer is no longer usable for the most part, then upgrade, but if I can get a good deal on this CPU and MB, I might have to just go for it.
a b à CPUs
June 12, 2007 8:00:30 PM

Quote:

Nope, not sarcastic at all. Before dual core the only multithreading (albeit limited) possible on a consumer CPU was the P4s with HTs.

My old machine was a 2.6C @ 3.3GHz, so I have 3 years of real world experience on it. It was a solid CPU, a bit dated now obviously but it handled multitasking much better than my other machine with an XP-M @ 2.6GHz, even though the XP-M probably edges it in single threaded performance.

Compare video encoding times with HT on/off and you won't think I'm being sarcastic.

Ahhh the Pentium4C Northwood with HT Technology. Probably one of my favorite CPU's ever.

I ran, much like you, both a P4C 3.0@4GHz and an AMD AthlonXP 3200+ @ 2.8GHz and must say that I preffered using the Pentium4 machine. It was much more responsive in a windows environment and although both were somewhat on equal terms in games I still preffered the Multithreaded capabilities of the P4C.

Now looking back and trying to compare my P4C with even an Atglon64 X2 4800+ @ 3GHz wasn't doable. The A64X2 was much more responsive. And now we have Core 2 Quads which adds even more to performance.

I simply cannot put into words the difference this upgrade will do for your system's responsivness.
June 12, 2007 8:33:35 PM

Although THG doesn't have the Northwoods on the chart, you can get an idea from the comparison to a 2.8 Prescott.

http://www23.tomshardware.com/cpu.html?modelx=33&model1=695&model2=463&chart=171

One note, however - unless your current system has < 1GB RAM or your current vidcard really sucks - or you do a lot of CPU intensive things such as encoding - don't expect to see a huge difference in everday use. Most software is still designed for a single core. You won't see much difference in browsing the net, playing older games, etc. This seems like common sense, but it seems that some upgraders are expecting everything to be noticably faster, and are dissapointed that their new system doesn't "feel" faster than their old one.

My first Core2 upgrade was from a 3.2 P4 (Northwood) to a E6600 (OC to 2.9). I can honestly say that it didn't feel any faster (Windows open at the same speed, Office Apps run the same, etc) - but when doing encoding I really noticed the difference (1hr 47 min vs 22 min).

Also, you didn't say what price you were going to pay or what vid card your looking at. It may behoove you to wait for Intel's price cut (July 22), or if your primary interest is in gaming, you may be better off going dualcore and buying a better vidcard.
a b à CPUs
June 12, 2007 8:49:17 PM

Quote:
My first Core2 upgrade was from a 3.2 P4 (Northwood) to a E6600 (OC to 2.9). I can honestly say that it didn't feel any faster (Windows open at the same speed, Office Apps run the same, etc) - but when doing encoding I really noticed the difference (1hr 47 min vs 22 min).

I noticed a huge difference in everything I use my computer for when I upgraded from the e6600 I had been using for more than six months to the Q6600 I am using now. The e6600 compared to the q6600 in the PC Mark 05 you quoted doesn't begin to exemplify the hands on boost in performance experience. Much less a Northwood 2.6. I repaired a 2.6 Northwood for someone a couple of months ago. It was like pulling teeth waiting for the machine to process compared to my dual/quad core machines. And I ADDED a half gig of RAM while repairing it! I have a 3.0 socket 478 Prescott and a 3.0 socket 775 P4 running around my offices currently. I took the 3.0 Prescott down and have it in my closet. 1:47 to :22 is humorous when I read it.
June 12, 2007 9:15:53 PM

Do you see a difference in the everyday feel of your computer (window opening speed, etc.)? This seems to be where a lot of upgraders are expecting to see magic results.

As far as use goes, anything that took a minute or two on the P4 is now instantaneous - with some small compilings, I can't even get a sip of coffee in. :( 
a b à CPUs
June 12, 2007 10:11:47 PM

Comparing the e6600 to the Q6600, I do experience distinct quicker OS loading times loading with Windows XP pro off the 74GB SATA Raptor. Strangely, 150 GB SATA Raptor with Vista is a slow loader period. Of couse there is no comparison if you are talking my 3.0 pentium 4's single cores. The Q6600 is 'the ultimate driving machine'. The only single core processor I have that really puts out with full load 100% processor use (a frequently occuring single core CPU attribute) is my AMD 64 FX55 socket 939 at 2.8+. I am a novice overclocker and I think you will find what I am about to say unbelievable. I tweaked and overclocked my e6600 for months. I installed my q6600 about five weeks or so ago. I can't beieve I am saying this. I have NEVER overclocked it! I droped it in, fired it up and just simply smiled!!!!! I am not kidding! I'm still smiling! The system is so great and fun. I open my task manger and watch the CPU usage levels sometimes for kicks. Listen to this. I have not changed the BIOS setting to allow the CPU to run at 2.4 x 4 when not under load! hahahaha! LMAO! This system is really fun. What can I say.

Q6600
ASUS P5B-Deluxe
G. Skill PC6400 4GB 4-4-4-12
EVGA 7900GTO 512 MB
WD 150 SATA RAPTOR Vista HP 32
WD 74 SATA RAPTOR Windows XP PRO

WD 250 SATA storage
ASUS DVD-ROM
ASUS DVD-RW Lightscribe
Thermaltake 700 watt quad 12v rail PSU
Thermaltake Mozart tower
Thermaltake media Lab Led Remote control
Zalman 9500 Led HSF
Audigy 2 Soundblaster
Boston Acoustics
Pinnacle Studio 9 PCI
Slingbox Pro Digital Satellite
BenQ 22" LCD

Vista Experience rating is 5.9.
a b à CPUs
June 12, 2007 10:43:21 PM

I have used pcpitstop.com system analysis for many years. If I remember correctly, my Pentium 4 3.0's score around 2000 on the comprehensive system analysis test score. I was delighted when my e6600 scored 3200 (I think 3200 was the score) I ran my Q6600 last week over ther and scored 5100. Jaw dropped.
June 12, 2007 10:57:46 PM

Now you got me craving one. :x

I was going to wait and do another build with a Penryn (Provided AMD's destop quadcore doesn't outperform it), but I don't think I'll be able to pass up getting a Q6600 when the price drops in 6 weeks. :twisted:
a b à CPUs
June 12, 2007 11:00:32 PM

Definately buy one at under $275.00. I am still kicking myself for paying $899.00 for the AMD 4800 X2 when it came out. I watched the price for months and it just would not drop. I plan to never pay like that again. Then there is Penryn! :D 
June 12, 2007 11:11:24 PM

I'd like to think that upgrading to a Q6600 would let me skip Penryn, and wait for Nehalem - but I know myself better than that. :cry: 

*Prepares credit card for maximum usage.*
a b à CPUs
June 12, 2007 11:26:26 PM

This is all getting too expensive for my tastes. Upgrading to latest and greatest is always uber expensive. I want to say I learned my lesson. However, I am pleased with this Q6600. New chipsets and DD3 will become hard to resist. I'll be biting down hard to resist before it's over.
June 13, 2007 1:50:33 AM

:lol:  I know what you mean.

Unfortunately, I'm spending more since everything is so comparatively cheap. Just a few years ago, top of the line would cost $3,000 - a price that normally set me back. Now, it cost $1,000 and I'll upgrade 3 times without thinking about it - then wonder where all my money went. :?

Oh well, as long as the money doesn't come from the sacred purse & shoes budget - I'm safe. :p 
June 13, 2007 2:02:45 AM

Thanks all!

If this deal falls thru, what price was the chip supposed to drop to?
June 13, 2007 2:16:55 AM

$266
http://www.vr-zone.com/index.php?i=4976

Keep in mind, these are tray (wholesale) prices, so they will be a little more once the retailer adds their profit margin on - but still should be below $300.
a b à CPUs
June 13, 2007 2:55:04 AM

Super Pi (1m):

P4 @ 7.3ghz = 20 seconds
C2D E6600 (stock) = 20 seconds
C2D (4mb) @ 3200/1600 = 15 seconds

big difference, and thats only using one of the two cores available for the above benchmarks ;) 
June 13, 2007 4:16:35 AM

Quote:
Super Pi (1m):

P4 @ 7.3ghz = 20 seconds

big difference, and thats only using one of the two cores available for the above benchmarks ;) 

So refiguring my equation from before, it would take twelve of the Pentium 4 chips, instead of seven. Thought seven seemed kind of low. :lol: 
June 13, 2007 4:28:01 AM

12!!!???

Jesus Christ!

For the record, I like having lots of stuff open (4, 6, 8 things at a time), I do 3D CAD work, and like to play games (HL2 Episode 2 FTW!) - so I don't think it would be wasted. Toss in an 8800GTS (I'm cheap) and I might be happy.
June 13, 2007 6:06:29 AM

Quote:
Although THG doesn't have the Northwoods on the chart, you can get an idea from the comparison to a 2.8 Prescott.

http://www23.tomshardware.com/cpu.html?modelx=33&model1=695&model2=463&chart=171

i had a P4C 2.4@ 3.2 those where the good old days

one thing you have to remember about Northwood is that they ran slow than Presscot at the same clock (and hotter too) so the 2.6C would be a fair bit slower than the 2.8 Presscot so it would be an even bigger difference
June 13, 2007 6:19:49 AM

Quote:

i had a P4C 2.4@ 3.2 those where the good old days

one thing you have to remember about Northwood is that they ran slow than Presscot at the same clock (and hotter too) so the 2.6C would be a fair bit slower than the 2.8 Presscot so it would be an even bigger difference

LOL I think you got things in reverse dude. Prescott was HOT, Northwood not so much...
June 13, 2007 6:29:59 AM

yeah sorry about that ,meant to say it was cooler but brain no work
a b à CPUs
June 13, 2007 7:13:02 AM

Quote:
LOL I think you got things in reverse dude. Prescott was HOT, Northwood not so much...

I repaired a friend's 2.6 Northwood recently. I built her 14 year old son a system (gave him most of it including my ABIT 865 chipset socket 478 backup MB). I stuck his 2.4 Celeron in there (the guy who built his first system told him it was for gaming with the Gforce 440 He installed) and gave him 2 x 512 RAM and made him buy a 9600XT to play WOW on. He's a smart kid, his mom and dad own a TV repair shop. His dad has put some of my computers for sale via flyer w/pics on the wall in his shop. Seems like everyone is concerned how big the hard drive is around there above everything else :D  ! Anyway, his mom calls me and says my son has crashed my office computer. I have her bring it over late that night. She says she has to have the info on that computer EVERYTHING is on there 8O She explained they update under warranty TVs with program downloads from the internet via the TV mfgs. They are an authorized dealer repair shop.

Anyway it was a Gateway 2.6 P4 Northwood with 2 x 256 MB RAM. Man that thing was so slow. After I got it running, I added a couple of 256 modules I had laying around and made it a gig, 4 x 512. Disk Boot Error was the problem. I asked if she had her Windows CD and she pulled it out. Her son had burned it with a cigarette or something. There was a hole in it 8O I'm thinkin' WTF! So I got a windows XP cd and tried to do a repair. No go. I'm assuming gateway wanted the Master CD, not an OEM windows CD I had So with my computer, I go through the entire Google data base (haha you believed me :lol:  ) and I find how to extract a couple of Boot files from my windows CD and repair (or reinstall) her Boot files.

This 2.6 P4 took like 15 minutes to get to the desktop after I fixed it. She could have had breakfast waiting for this thing to get to the desktop in the mornings. I asked her how she could stand it :D  Anyway I cleaned out her start menu and left the gig of RAM in there. Then I blew the dust out. Jebus! The CPU fan looked like the lint trap in my dryer. The fan was turning like 50 rpm. Those 2.4 Northwoods are tough :lol:  I installed an exhaust fan and told her to clean out the dust better when she got home. It would have taken a few rolls of paper towels and several bottles of Windex all purpose to get the grease out that system. Her office must be next to a horse riding trail :lol:  I told her son to get his mom's 2.6 P4 when she got a new computer and I'd install it for him. He'll probably put a hole it like He did her windows CD. She has since said her 2.6 runs much better since I fixed it. I mentioned Gateway sold her a $2500 computer and didn't even put a $3 exhaust fan in it :D  I offerd to install a storage HD so she could protect and store her imnportant data. I told her to at least buy a usb drive and back up important stuff on there. I think she's afraid her son will put a hole in it, so she won't buy anything for backup.
June 13, 2007 7:47:19 AM

Quote:
Super Pi (1m):

P4 @ 7.3ghz = 20 seconds

Super Pi only uses a single core.
June 13, 2007 8:13:25 AM

Quote:
Pentium 4 2.6GHz

Core 2 Q6600

nice

So which is better? :p 
a b à CPUs
June 20, 2007 9:45:08 PM

Quote:
Super Pi (1m):

P4 @ 7.3ghz = 20 seconds

Super Pi only uses a single core.

read my bottom remark ;) 
!