Cingular GSM / Treo questions

Last response: in Network Providers
Share
January 9, 2005 5:16:48 PM

I currently have an old AT&T TDMA phone that I'm considering replacing. I
really like the Treo 650, which I'm told will be available from Cingular
later this month. I have a few questions though:

1. A Cingular salesman told me (in trying to sell me a Blackberry) that
their lowest cost unlimited data plan is $45/mo. I see a plan on their web
site called "MEdia Works", which looks like it includes unlimited web
browsing for $20/mo. Maybe that's not full IP access; the web site is not
very detailed. The Cingular on-line store lets me select a Treo 600 with
MEdia Works, so I assume it's compatible. What's the real deal?

2. He also told me that their entire network is EDGE enabled, and anywhere I
get GSM service I should get EDGE data speed. I was a little skeptical about
this claim. Is it true?

3. Is there a source for unlocked Treos in the U.S.? If I buy directly from
PalmOne, for instance? If so, would Cingular give me any trouble when I try
to activate it? I'm not interested in
"do-it-yourself-cable-soldering-warranty-voiding" unlocking solutions.

TIA.

-Eric
Anonymous
January 9, 2005 7:25:43 PM

Eric wrote:
> 1. The Cingular on-line store lets me select a Treo 600 with
> MEdia Works, so I assume it's compatible. What's the real deal?

Media Works ought to do it for you. I haven't heard of being able to
tether a Treo to a PC, so the oddball protocols shouldn't be an issue.

> 2. He also told me that their entire network is EDGE enabled, and
anywhere I
> get GSM service I should get EDGE data speed. I was a little
skeptical about
> this claim. Is it true?

My experience has been that AT&T has EDGE, and if Cingular has EDGE
it's constrained to GPRS speeds.

tg.
Anonymous
January 9, 2005 8:54:33 PM

Tested Cingular in Charleston, SC, Richmond, VA, Alexandria, VA,
Harpers Ferry, WV. Was able to get registered on Cingular in all but
Richmond BTA; saw remarkable speed difference when on AT&T in
Alexandria and Harpers Ferry. While in Richmond the T-Mobile network
showed speeds comparable to Cingular, and T-Mo's advertised no EDGE
capability.

This leads me to conclude that if Cingular's running EDGE in the
southeast, the speeds are no better than GPRS.

tg.
Related resources
Can't find your answer ? Ask !
Anonymous
January 9, 2005 10:35:26 PM

<glaabtom@netscape.net> wrote in message
> Eric wrote:
>
> My experience has been that AT&T has EDGE, and if Cingular has EDGE
> it's constrained to GPRS speeds.

And where would you have picked up this experience?

--
SS
Anonymous

"Eric" <netnews1@mcdanielhome.com> wrote in message

> I currently have an old AT&T TDMA phone that I'm considering replacing. I
> really like the Treo 650, which I'm told will be available from Cingular
> later this month. I have a few questions though:
>
> 1. A Cingular salesman told me (in trying to sell me a Blackberry) that
> their lowest cost unlimited data plan is $45/mo. I see a plan on their web
> site called "MEdia Works", which looks like it includes unlimited web
> browsing for $20/mo. Maybe that's not full IP access; the web site is not
> very detailed. The Cingular on-line store lets me select a Treo 600 with
> MEdia Works, so I assume it's compatible. What's the real deal?

We are not allowed to activate any PDA or data device with a GSM rate plan
and Mediaworks in a company owned store. Has to be activated with a data
plan designed for such a device.

> 2. He also told me that their entire network is EDGE enabled, and anywhere
> get GSM service I should get EDGE data speed. I was a little skeptical
about
> this claim. Is it true?

Totally not true. Some areas do not have EDGE.

Where are you located?

> 3. Is there a source for unlocked Treos in the U.S.? If I buy directly
from
> PalmOne, for instance? If so, would Cingular give me any trouble when I
try
> to activate it? I'm not interested in
> "do-it-yourself-cable-soldering-warranty-voiding" unlocking solutions.

You can purchase through PalmOne. You won't be able to go through Cingular
for any warranty/technical assistance. Cingular "unofficially" doesn't care
if you buy a phone from them. They're not making money on the phone anyway.
The salesman shouldn't care. He's not paid commission on the phone either.

--
SS
Anonymous

Don't be surprised if Cingular-branded 650s are available from PalmOne
long before unbranded, unlocked 650s are. Also, well into the 600 life
cycle, carrier-branded 600s were being shipped by PalmOne much faster
than unbranded, unlocked 600s were.
!