Problem with winamp in win2k

mrtj

Distinguished
Jan 25, 2001
i dont have this problem in win ME, but for some reason in 2k winamp occassionally skips 5 seconds ahead in the song that is playing.

i have a kt7-raid with win2k SP2
soundblaster 1024 live - driver ver not known (it says not available under the details in the cards properties), though the date is 05-05-2000.

<P ID="edit"><FONT SIZE=-1><EM>Edited by mrtj on 09/18/01 09:11 PM.</EM></FONT></P>

Shakkuras

Distinguished
Sep 17, 2001
I had no idea what you meant until i was running a few things at once and it skipped, and i only have 256mb ram. THAT might be your problem, causing it to skip. I notice that running a lot at once with so little ram makes a difference, so try disabling some of the fun effects of win2k or getting ram, or whatever, and if im wrong someone correct me by all means.

mrtj

Distinguished
Jan 25, 2001
all i have running in win2k is zone alarm winamp and 1 IE browser window. i also have 384 megs of ram. could it be because i have a matrox g400?

G

Its yer sounds card i get the same crap with my sbl value friggin garbage drivers and garbage cards. Best go out and buy a phillips or turtle beach or even a hercules card.

-Spuddy

<font color=red>Being Evil Is Good. Cause I Can Be A Prick And Get Away With It.</font color=red> :lol:

mrtj

Distinguished
Jan 25, 2001
i think the card is pretty good, and it doesnt do that in ME. must be the current win2k drivers. it's been ages since there have been any new ones tho.

which card would you recommend (remembering i dont like to spend much money :)

Shakkuras

Distinguished
Sep 17, 2001
menu fading and all that stuff is more taxing than just regular win98-style menu animations, and im sure theres more, i installed about 4 days ago and havent played around too much yet

Shakkuras

Distinguished
Sep 17, 2001
hehe, i figured the stability mightve been more attractive, but i must say the fading is VERY nice, and the cursor shadow too..its the little things..easily distracted....*stares at menus popping up under cursor shadow*

Bames_Jond

Distinguished
Aug 20, 2001
Don't blame the Sound Card. It's most likely your NIC's if you have them installed. I guess most of you have network adapters installed right?????

If so check if they are ACPI compatible in the manual or on the back of the box it came in. If not get a new one or change to Windows 98/ME again. I had some of the same problems with my SB Live! 5.1 platinum until I installed a noname ACPI compliant network adapter.
I don't know why most SB Live! cards are affected by the network adapter. All I know is that changing the network adapter and placing the cards in the right PCI ports helped me and my friends with our SB Live! Windows 2000 problems.
You also have to make sure that the sound card is NOT sharing any IRQ's with other components in the bios, although you have ACPI enabled in Windows 2000. All you have to do is look in your mobo manual to see which PCI ports share IRQ's with each other or the AGP port. When you find out which PCI port is absolutely free of IRQ sharing you place the SB Live! in that slot and all the other cards where there is room.

Good luck! (No my network card did not exactly "kill" my SB Live!, it just drove it "mad"!!!)...... :)

My name is Jond, Bames Jond.

My ACPI incompatible network adapter killed my SB Live!