Setting a Quake shortcut for a specific server

If I have a shortcut to quake on my desktop, how would I go about setting
that shortcut to connect to a specific server without going thriugh the
multiplayer menu?
4 answers Last reply
More about setting quake shortcut specific server

    On Sat, 25 Sep 2004 22:04:31 GMT, Turd Furgeson <funny@name.org> wrote:

    >If I have a shortcut to quake on my desktop, how would I go about setting
    >that shortcut to connect to a specific server without going thriugh the
    >multiplayer menu?

    Add this to the command line in the properties of the shortcut on your desktop:

    +connect xxx.xxx.xxx.xxx:27960

    1) the x's represent the ip address
    2) :27960 represents the port the server runs on. Might be different but that
    is the default port.

    Or create a config file in your quake directory. I have a file called

    friends_name.cfg

    with the contents of

    connect xxx.xxx.xxx.xxx

    where friends_name is my friend's name and xxx.xxx.xxx.xxx is his IP
    address. In order to connect, I go into the console and type

    exec friends_name

    This way you can have more than one config file if you have more than
    one server to which you frequently connect. If the server uses a
    password, then precede the line "connect xxx.xxx.xxx.xxx" with
    "password pass" where pass is the password.

    Most players use a game browser. I use The all seeing eye.
    http://www.udpsoft.com/eye2/index.html
    It is worth getting the license for it as well. This thing scans servers
    amazingly fast and accurate. I scan 261 rocket arena servers in about 3
    seconds. Plus you can set servers up in a favorites folder and not scan at
    all. Just open the browser double click the server and it automaticly opens
    q3 to the proper game mod and the server of your choice.

    "kong" <kong@myrapidsys.com> wrote in

    > Most players use a game browser. I use The all seeing eye.
    > http://www.udpsoft.com/eye2/index.html
    > It is worth getting the license for it as well. This thing scans
    > servers
    > amazingly fast and accurate. I scan 261 rocket arena servers in about
    > 3 seconds. Plus you can set servers up in a favorites folder and not
    > scan at all. Just open the browser double click the server and it
    > automaticly opens q3 to the proper game mod and the server of your
    > choice. "Turd Furgeson" <funny@name.org> wrote in message
    >> If I have a shortcut to quake on my desktop, how would I go about
    >> setting that shortcut to connect to a specific server without going
    >> thriugh the multiplayer menu?

    I installed that... after a few uses, the Quake 3 tree dissapeared and
    now I have no tree at all. I am at a loss as to why this is...

    I can't bring up any trees. :/

Connection Desktops Games Multiplayer Servers Video Games