When to say thats it.

gomerpile

Distinguished
Feb 21, 2005
First ever computer was a tsr80, I remember learning what format was with my only dos disk, what a mistake that was. Does anyone know who made the tsr80?
20 or more years later and 60 thousand dollars in computer parts and software with no car, I ask myself did I make a mistake again.
Cpu’s 8088, 8086, 286, 386, 486, 486x2, Pentium 1,2,3,4, 805, amd xp 1800, 2500, 3200.
Video, 256 color adapter I think creative made that. Creative vcard ISA, trident, sis, matrox, banshee, all makes of 3dfx, nvidia every gforce card made each year in agp sets.
Well this is some of the list, some day I going to write all the stuff and ask myself again did I waste my money in life

First ever computer was a tsr80, I remember learning what format was with my only dos disk, what a mistake that was. Does anyone know who made the tsr80?
20 or more years later and 60 thousand dollars in computer parts and software with no car, I ask myself did I make a mistake again.
Cpu’s 8088, 8086, 286, 386, 486, 486x2, Pentium 1,2,3,4, 805, amd xp 1800, 2500, 3200.
Video, 256 color adapter I think creative made that. Creative vcard ISA, trident, sis, matrox, banshee, all makes of 3dfx, nvidia every gforce card made each year in agp sets.
Well this is some of the list, some day I going to write all the stuff and ask myself again did I waste my money in life

At least it took you some time to learn about frustration and despair in life. Paris Hilton has learned the same lesson by spending 48 hours in jail. You are going to be OK. Paris will have to spend billions to fully realize she is an idiot.

Dade_0182

Distinguished
Apr 3, 2006

At least it took you some time to learn about frustration and despair in life. Paris Hilton has learned the same lesson by spending 48 hours in jail. You are going to be OK. Paris will have to spend billions to fully realize she is an idiot.Ditto. Paris is just stupid. She's not that beautiful either so I don't know what the big fuss is about. Spoilt little attention-seeker she is. You on the other hand have some common sense still.

tlmck

Distinguished
My first was a Timex Sinclair 4k, upgraded to a 16k. First build was 8088 IBM from kit for college computer lab. Best computer to date was the old Commodore 64. By best I mean what it could do with the amount of horsepower it had available. It also had the first GUI/office suite I ever saw(GEOS).

Current project is my finalized lifetime divorce from all things Microsoft. I have already hooked up with Ubuntu Feisty, and MacOS Leopard is looking pretty good in the corner over there. :D

Everybody needs to have a hobby regardless of the cost.

shooter124

Distinguished
Dec 4, 2006
why don't you just cut back and restrain yourself to a new system every 3-4 year but make sure its a bang for your buck system and not an all out 3000$ machine. its like going to AA but then realizing you can still have a drink every once in a while without falling off the wagon :lol:

Thunderfox

Distinguished
Sep 3, 2006
The TRS80 was made by Tandy, aka Radio Shack. I had a CoCo, which came after it.

Not much point in these kinds of questions, other than the general concept of changing irrisponsible behaviour. If you went your whole life without a car and didn't miss it, then be glad for the fun you had with your computers and start saving for a car now if you need one.

If you decided back then that you'd rather have a new CPU that you WANTED rather than a car that you NEEDED, then you can either feel terrible about it and kill yourself, or learn from it and start saving for a car now, IF you need one.

Any car you bought back then would be junk by now, so you probably wouldn't have one right now anyway :)

Mugz

Splendid
Oct 27, 2006
ZX Spectrum to start, currently on a 631 & 805, I upgrade both PCs once every two years (my 805 is going up to an E6600-equivalent come December)...

I have doubts as to whether I'll ever hit the 'that's it' stage, with what I use the thing for (CAD, among other things), but yeah... it does seem a bit ridiculous, the rate at which the tech keeps changing.

yakyb

Distinguished
Jun 14, 2006
i know exactly what you mean im currently running a 3 year old 3500 and 1950pro (bought cause my 6800gt crapped out on me) i saved for a Q6600 and 8800gtx but when the time came to buy (feb) the 2900 was weeks from release so i thought it wise to wait, now i just dont feel the neccesity to upgrade as things have become kind of stagnant in the computer industry im hoping that Crysis will change that. after the multiple disapointments of CNC3 (good game but not as replayable as red alert 2), stalker and incredibly poor performanceof Supcom (on my machine) i feel very uninspired to upgrade atm which is probably due to the lack of benchmarks around at the moment which makes me beleive that performance is not up to expectations.

having recently received Halo2 in the post (requires Vista) and about 5 gameson preorder i would really like some benchmarks to be released of upcoming hardware to inspire me again else ill no doubt wait for penryn. unless of course july 22nd is as good as is promised.

any way needed to get that out of my system so intel, AMD benches please excite us again we are all getting bored