LightScribe Drives and non Lightscribe media

AARRGGHHH

Distinguished
Jun 1, 2007
Two questions:

1. Will data burned on a Light Scribe burner be readable in non Light Scribe drives?

2. When I don't need a label (which will probably be 80% to 90% of the time) can I use regular, inexpensive CD and DVD media, or do I still have to use Light Scribe media?

Thank you

jjnguy13

Distinguished
May 3, 2007
No worries here!!

The only compatibility issue here is if you try to make a label in a lightscribe drive with non lightscribe media.(I'm not actually sure what happens in this case)

Two questions:

1. Will data burned on a Light Scribe burner be readable in non Light Scribe drives?

2. When I don't need a label (which will probably be 80% to 90% of the time) can I use regular, inexpensive CD and DVD media, or do I still have to use Light Scribe media?

Thank you

Yes. I use many Lightscribe drives in multiple computers with all kinds of media.

When I don't need a label (which will probably be 80% to 90% of the time) can I use regular, inexpensive CD and DVD media, or do I still have to use Light Scribe media?

Yes. Non-Lightscribe media will work in a Lightscribe capable CD/DVD optical drive.

scradge

Distinguished
Oct 19, 2006
putting a none lightscribe disk into a lightscribe drive for labeling (not burning) does nothing if you look on the top of the disk there is a bar code and digital infomation on the very inner of the disk,
this is so that the drive knows that it is compatible media. and also so you can add stuff to an image without fucking up :) although im not sure about the last bit. i havnt tried it adding to an image