CD / DVD Burning on SATA vs IDE

AARRGGHHH

Distinguished
Jun 1, 2007
The motherboard that I'm looking at has multiple SATA ports and 1 IDE port.

Given that CD / DVD burn and read times are somewhat limited, is there any real advantage in using SATA instead of IDE? How about when using formats such as DVD- RAM?

Also, if I do go IDE, both my reader drive and my burner drive will be on the same IDE port (1 master, 1 slave). Does this present any problems when copying a CD or DVD?

Thanks

The motherboard that I'm looking at has multiple SATA ports and 1 IDE port.

Given that CD / DVD burn and read times are somewhat limited, is there any real advantage in using SATA instead of IDE? How about when using formats such as DVD- RAM?

Also, if I do go IDE, both my reader drive and my burner drive will be on the same IDE port (1 master, 1 slave). Does this present any problems when copying a CD or DVD?

Thanks

IDE cables are large and take up space and prohibit air flow when compared to a SATA cable. A DVD-RAM SATA drive will make use of that media the same as an IDE drive will. With a SATA drive be sure and connect it to a 'common' MB SATA port, not a 'special' RAID designated MB port. Putting two IDE optical drives in a Master/Slave config on a single IDE cable will work fine for copying purposes. So will two SATA optical drives on seperate SATA MB ports for that matter.

AARRGGHHH

Distinguished
Jun 1, 2007
Thanks for the replies. Yes, If I go IDE, I will definitely use the new round cables, I hate those ribbon cables.

With a SATA drive be sure and connect it to a 'common' MB SATA port, not a 'special' RAID designated MB port.

I'll have 8 SATA ports, 4 from the South Bridge and 4 from SATA controller chip on the board. All are basically advertised as SATA, with a RAID option. I'm not aware of any RAID only ports. Are these RAID only ports common? What should I look for?

There is no performance difference between SATA and IDE for CD/DVD.

Okay, so even copying CD to CD or DVD to DVD, I should still be able to get maximum (or close to maximum) read and write speeds (assuming the rest of the system cooperates) when copying CDs and DVDs?

Sorry if I seem paranoid here, I'm using an antique POS (piece of... somethin...) that's never burned a CD over 8x, despite being advertised at, IIRC, 32x.

Thanks

tlmck

Distinguished
Okay, so even copying CD to CD or DVD to DVD, I should still be able to get maximum (or close to maximum) read and write speeds (assuming the rest of the system cooperates) when copying CDs and DVDs?

Yes. The maximum transfer rates of CD/DVD burners is still well below the speed of the IDE bus. Your speed will have more to do with the X factor of your drive and media. In other words, if your drive can write 48X CDR, but you use 24X blank discs , then your write speed will be 24X.

Hope that helps.