Upgrading from 1900xtx ? is it worth it ?

Mcfake

Distinguished
Sep 15, 2006
I currently have the ati 1900xtx.

I was looking at the new ati card. and my budget isnt specific.

But from what i look at on the charts and what i read i cant c any reason to upgrade yet (aprt form dx10) but i dont use vista yet.

Is it worht holding fire ? or getting one of the new cards?
I mainly run everything in 1280x1024.

FeareX

Distinguished
Mar 13, 2006
The 1900xtx should still be more then enough to run your games. At least till the next series of graphics cards come out.

I would say keep it.

crabdog

Distinguished
Sep 16, 2006
Well, considering you have a 1900xtx I would say - No, it's not necessary for you to upgrade. What games do you play? I'd be willing to bet that your current card can play pretty much any game with most of the eye candy turned on, especially considering your resolution is only 1280x1024. Now if you bought the new ATI card (I'm assuming you mean the HD2900XT) you would definitely see improved fps in most games. BUT that card is still unproven in dx10 games and nobody can guarantee it will even be able to run them with decent fps.

Basically what I'm saying is this: Is it worth forking out $400+ for a few extra frames in the games that you currently play, with no guarantee that the card will work well in the next game you buy? Or should you wait until there are some dx10 games benched and the cards' ability is a known factor.

By the time dx10 games start to arrive in any numbers NV and ATI/AMD will have likey released new models already. So you could get yourself a next-next gen card, or at the very least be able to buy the 2900xt at a lower price than it's currently at.

Personally I'd wait.

I own a 1900xt 512MB, and was looking forward to the 2900xtx, but it never appeared, so Im waiting. I also run at 12x10. The 2900 will get you extra fps and some more eyecandy, but not enuff IMO for it to be worth it. The DX10 games that are out or to be released soon arent as DX10 as they are DX9, so in reality, the 2900 doesnt perform that great , and wont perform that great in some DX10 games. I would wait until ATI gets to a new release unless theres a DX10 game that comes out you just have to have. The newer cards will be at 65nm or even 55 and be less power hungry and cooler and be better optimised for the transition to both formats. Like I said, stick with your XTX

Furious5k

Distinguished
Feb 15, 2007
When you say "mainly", do you mean that 1280x1024 is the maximum resolution for your screen or are you just using that for the most part?

If it is the highest your monitor will give you, then there really is no reason to upgrade. Wait for the time being and consider an upgrade when you have to start lowering the settings to medium.

By the time you do upgrade, you will be much more happier with the price/performance you'll get.

blade85

Distinguished
Sep 19, 2006
unless u plan to get vista and play in dx10...no its not worth upgrading. your current card should hold out at least another year...maybe even 2 (at reasonable framerates).

the dx10 demo of COH just has some extra eye candy...its not like your missing out on tooo much :roll:

now if you were building a new system from scratch...then yeah sure get the 8800 cards...but since you already have a very good card...i'd say..stick with it.

here are some reviews of dx9 vs dx10 in COH

http://www.bit-tech.net/gaming/2007/06/20/company_of_heroes_dx10_comparison/1

and a little video: http://www.ifilm.com/video/2860706