Sign in with
Your question

So many motherboards to choose from; help me please

Last response: in Motherboards
June 12, 2007 10:26:32 AM

Hi everyone, hope you can help me.

I am building a new intel gaming system and having trouble deciding on motherboards. I have read reviews after reviews after reviews and have almost settled on a motherboard EVGA but having little doubts as this forum seems to encourage the P35 chipset. After reading a couple reviews on the some of the P35 chipsets i can't say that i am impressed, however i am the first to say that some of the techy mumbo jumbo goes over my head.

I have on order the following items:

Intel E6600 Core2Duo 2.40GHz
Corsair TwinX 2GB DDR2 8500DOM dominator
250G HGST SATA2 HDD 8M/7200

I currently have an XFX 7800GTX graphics card which i will improve in a few months for DX10 compatibility. Like i said i am a pure gamer and everything else comes second, and know DX10 games are in development i wish to be ready when the time comes.

I would really appreciate if some of you could offer opinions on motherboards for me, which chipset is best for gaming, what i should look for etc etc.

Many many thanks in advance!

OB1

More about : motherboards choose

a c 141 V Motherboard
June 12, 2007 11:24:15 AM

I'm not going to finalize my choices until after the July CPU price cuts, but I am also going to build a new PC, and no mobo absolutely stands out as the one I want. My limiting factors are that the case I have on order for it is Micro-ATX, and the budget for CPU + mobo + RAM is probably $400-$500. This pretty much rules out DDR3 memory. Ability to overclock is non-essential, but may be a step I take in the future depending on CPU. All drives will be SATA. The PSU will be a Mushkin 550 modular (like in my .sig), assuming it fits (which will be verified when the case arrives tomorrow).

Thank you for your opinions.
June 12, 2007 12:00:25 PM

You've just hijacked my thread buddy :roll:

I haven't even had 1 bit of advice yet.
Related resources
a c 141 V Motherboard
June 12, 2007 12:48:11 PM

Hmmm, I didn't think I affected the purpose of the thread, to get ideas on motherboards. I didn't think my opinion would count for much against the research you've already done.
You've already bought DDR2 RAM, so that rules out DDR3-only boards for you too (ruled out for me on cost).
June 12, 2007 1:15:39 PM

Fair point, i apologise.

I have ruled myself out on DDR3 memory for now because of cost as well, although not ruling myself out for future use of DDR3. Although i am only interested in going SLI route in graphics and therefore that rules me out for the P35 i believe, however if someone has stats etc on the benefits of crossfire/P35 setup then i may be swayed.

How much improvement will DDR3 memory be over DDR2? Especially when concerning games.
a c 141 V Motherboard
June 12, 2007 2:35:27 PM

...about the P35 mobos. They will only support one PCI-X slot going at the full 16x; other would only be 4x. I'm nowhere near as twitchy as some folks on here, and I can't imagine I'd want Crossfire or SLI with something like the 8800GTX available (I may buy an 8800GTS/320 and be really impressed). If you want SLI, I think there are chipsets that support 16x on two slots, but don't remember which one(s).

Right now I will probably default to this mobo:
GIGABYTE GA-G33M-DS2R LGA 775 Intel G33 Micro ATX Intel Motherboard - Retail $140
http://www.newegg.com/product/product.asp?item=N82E1681...

...mostly as it seems to be the only new-chipset M-ATX board out there. You don't say anything about what form factor you prefer, but I'm using a SFF case (X-QPACK2) for my build.
June 12, 2007 2:45:22 PM

Quote:
...mostly as it seems to be the only new-chipset M-ATX board out there. You don't say anything about what form factor you prefer, but I'm using a SFF case (X-QPACK2) for my build.

I have absolutely no idea what you just said there, sorry :oops:  form factor??
a c 141 V Motherboard
June 12, 2007 2:54:45 PM

I am using a very small case, which limits me to a Micro-ATX motherboard. Most people use mini- or mid-tower cases, which can accept the larger standard ATX boards.
June 12, 2007 4:02:42 PM

i have a mid tower case which i will be using.
June 13, 2007 7:13:33 PM

Are you gonna make a media center computer?
a c 141 V Motherboard
June 13, 2007 10:50:55 PM

Not really, it will mostly be for general use and mid-range gaming. I am planning on redesigning my home hobby and work area, and wanted to use the smallest case consistent with decent components.

The mobo will probably be the new Gigabyte (-DS2R??), and the CPU will depend in part on the July price cuts. I don't see it being less than an e6420, and am hoping the e67xx is affordable.
!