Kingston or GEIL? And Help with mobo settings on DDR2-800

amnotanoobie

Distinguished
Aug 27, 2006
I am currently looking at VALUE ram from Kingston and GEIL. I was wondering what people would recommend at STOCK ddr2-800 speeds. Also my board only supports up to 667MHz @ RAM by default, I was thinking of OC'ing the RAM only to 800MHz. I was wondering if I still have to raise the voltage since I am running the RAM @ stock of 800MHz whilst OC'ing the RAM bus speed to 800MHz.

And also Please:

No NewEgg, ZipZoomFly, Amazon, or other e-tailers. Simply put i am in another country and could not buy at those stores (Well i could actually buy, but the shipping and tax would make the buy a total waste of money).

No High-End Stuff, NO Kingston HyperX, Crucial Ballistix, Corsair Dominators, G.Skill, etc. As I am simply looking at value stuff and not extreme OC'ing.

Tnx.

netburst

Distinguished
Dec 9, 2004
But i guess we all would like to know what type of motherboard and model so that the suggestion can be more solid because both of the rams are almost the same. As in the warranty and reliability.

amnotanoobie

Distinguished
Aug 27, 2006
Whoops. I got:

Asus P5LD2-SE
Intel 945
2 x 512MB 533MHz DDR2 (These are going to be replaced with what I'll buy)
7600GT 256MB

The board officially supports up to 667MHz RAM only, what I'm planning is putting in 2 x 800MHz modules and then oc'ing the ram fsb to 800MHz. The question now is whether I still have to increase the RAM voltage. I'm trying to avoid a voltage increase as I'm trying to minimize the chance of frying ye mem to nearly 0%. Tnx.

netburst

Distinguished
Dec 9, 2004
IMO, i would go for the GEIL ram cuz its more flexible. But you should be able to OC the ram to 800 by increasing the voltage a little but im not too sure bout that.

amnotanoobie

Distinguished
Aug 27, 2006
Tnx. Maybe I'll go for GEIL's. Since it's pretty much a guarantee with Kingston that you'd be able only to OC very little. Though I like Kingstons when running at full stock. Plus I could get the GEIL's for around $97 while the Kingstons for around $130. (It maybe a small difference in amount but from where I'm from, the $33 I save is quite a big amount.)

Thanks for the help :D

pshych0

Distinguished
May 22, 2007
I DO NOT recommend Kingston and btw, my geil order should arrive tomorow, to replace the kingston i now have. gl

amnotanoobie

Distinguished
Aug 27, 2006
Hey, I like Kingston's when @ stock. And only at stock. Though at the systems I use Kingston's, I am focusing more on longevity than absolute performance. When I need performance, I'll look for a different brand.

Just based on experience, I have a Kingston DDR400 module running at full stock for nearly 3 years and I still don't have any problems with it.

Track

Distinguished
Jul 4, 2006
If u already have RAM, why replace it?

I was planning to replace the things, because

1) I want to try to run the thing at 1:1 FSB. Or at least have faster memory.

2) I am planning another cheap PC build and my old mem's are going there.

Alright, so u want RAM that is 667 at stock (because thats the max that ur motherboard supports) and is able to OC to around 800Mhz?

Just buy any DDR2-667 RAM with a latency of 4.