Sign in with
Your question

Can someone please help me before my 2 88gtxs die

Last response: in Overclocking
June 12, 2007 1:49:46 PM

G'day all, sorry im new , recently i've been having problems tuning on my pc since i have installed a second GTX. The pc turns on but my lcd doesn't the light just keeps flashing,Untill i turn the psu off at the back and on again, then push the on button and it works. Im not sure its my psu does it have enough power? My specs are , E6600@3.4 on air , bfg680i , 2xfx GTXs and 4 200Gb HDDs ,XFI card and 4GB of g.skill 6400HZ @ 1016. the psu that is powering all this is silverstone ST75ZF , Can someone please help

More about : 88gtxs die

a c 236 K Overclocking
June 12, 2007 2:08:21 PM

Was the P/S rated to be able to handle 2 8800GTX?
June 12, 2007 2:13:09 PM

from what I can find that PSU only has 2x 6-pin PCI-E power connecters. thats enough for 1 8800GTX. you need to buy a new PSU that has 4x 6 pin PCI-E power connectors.
Related resources
June 12, 2007 2:14:37 PM

nar dude it comes with more then enough , it has 4,6pin connections for 2 vidcards.
June 12, 2007 2:14:51 PM

nm my previous post....I was looking at an outdated review :oops: 
June 12, 2007 3:08:27 PM

nvidia is very clear about power requirement for two 8800 GTX, they said 1000W power supply.

but you uses 750W ps. so you did not even meet their spec.

dun overclock your cpu. run cpu at nominal, take out power for all unused harddisks / unused cards and test again. Dun overclock your GTX too. if that works. you need a new power supply, or new casing that support two PSU.

Lian Li A10 etc or stacker.
June 12, 2007 3:25:38 PM

My guess is that your PSU is not putting out enough power. Technically it might have enough power, but if there are any losses, it might fail. Since everything seemed to be working with one card, the additional card seems to have tipped the balance. I'd recommend moving up to a minimum of a 850wt PSU and make sure that it is rated for powering two 8800 GTX's. Your present PSU may be rated for SLI, but not be specific enough as to the level of cards in SLI, i.e., it may provide enough power for a 7900 SLI, but not a 8800 SLI.

Other possible problems may be a bad motherboard or a wrong setting in the BIOS, though for the moment I'll assume that you set the BIOS correctly for SLI.
a c 236 K Overclocking
June 12, 2007 3:29:43 PM

Yep totally agree! Howdy Sailer, How've you been doing? :) 
June 12, 2007 3:29:52 PM

Yea i was guessing that , have to swap it at work then but the SilverStone 850W is abit hard to get at the moment.
June 12, 2007 3:31:46 PM

Do you think it would make a big difference if i took 2 of the harddisks out? I wouldn't think they take too much power just wondering...
June 12, 2007 3:33:10 PM

Hi Ryan. Been doing fine overall. My son graduated from college and we took off for a trip through the San Juan Islands. Only bad thing about it was coming back. How have you been?
June 12, 2007 4:00:43 PM

Read my signature, that silverstone psu works beatifully with 2x88gtx
June 12, 2007 4:07:03 PM

Your Silverstone 750 psu might work, but the OP has his cpu overclocked a bit higher, so it uses a few more watts. Also, his psu may not be producing power to spec. Since the problem appeared after he added the second card, the first thing to consider is lack of adequate power from the psu. After that comes BIOS settings and the motherboard as potential problem areas.
June 12, 2007 4:14:24 PM

Yea but it runs fine in windows, Everything OK , i get 15130 in 3D06 and 21966 in 3D05 , I've only noticed a strange sound coming from the psu when its tuned off too. Im not sure if that was there from the start or just came. I can play games fine for hours and i when i was ocing the cpu it run for more the 10hours just for the stable test. I'm thinking i may have pushed it too far or just another faulty psu. Dieing.Happens all the time at work. I would in an IT shop ya see. You can never trust any brand.Warrenty is what matters.
June 12, 2007 4:33:51 PM

Quote:
G'day all, sorry im new , recently i've been having problems tuning on my pc since i have installed a second GTX. The pc turns on but my lcd doesn't the light just keeps flashing,Untill i turn the psu off at the back and on again, then push the on button and it works. Im not sure its my psu does it have enough power? My specs are , E6600@3.4 on air , bfg680i , 2xfx GTXs and 4 200Gb HDDs ,XFI card and 4GB of g.skill 6400HZ @ 1016. the psu that is powering all this is silverstone ST75ZF , Can someone please help

i second the motion everyone here seemed to agree with......POWEEEEEERR :wink:

With all that hardware listed above ..you need at least 1kW able psu
a c 126 K Overclocking
June 12, 2007 5:19:50 PM

Some motherboards have a bios option to stagger the startup of hard drives. Apparently, hard drives take much more power to get going, than they need while running. If you do not have this bios option, try to startup without powering three of your 4 hard drives and. If this works, then you will need to look at a psu that can handle surges better.
June 12, 2007 5:57:26 PM

Just replace with an ATi product......... Let the flaming begin you bastards!
June 12, 2007 6:04:12 PM

Quote:
Just replace with an ATi product......... Let the flaming begin you bastards!

LOL You dowsed it with gasoline And lit the match with that one!
June 12, 2007 6:05:10 PM

Quote:
nvidia is very clear about power requirement for two 8800 GTX, they said 1000W power supply.

but you uses 750W ps. so you did not even meet their spec.

you make me laugh

''After successfully bringing industrial power supply technology into the desktop market, SilverStone is again setting the benchmark for consumer-level power supplies. This revamped addition to Zeus family can produce 750W continuously even when ambient is up to 50°C, all the while maintaining a size that is easy to integrate into most systems. With an incredible 60A combined (over 700W) for the +12V rail alone, the ST75ZF is capable of powering any top of the line systems available today and beyond. Coupled with higher than 80% efficiency and top quality cooling fan, the ST75ZF is also quieter and more user friendly than its predecessor while providing more power.''

and http://www.slizone.com/object/slizone_build_psu.html

and if u search the web many people use 8800gtx in sli with 750watt psu's and some people in here also sli their 8800gtx with a 750w

OP ''I've only noticed a strange sound coming from the psu when its tuned off too. Im not sure if that was there from the start or just came.''

doesnt sound right to me.. maybe ur PSU is faulty.
June 12, 2007 6:32:03 PM

Ignore all the people saying its your PSU. They've been reading too much ATI propaganda.

8800GTX's only use 140-170W each, so thats leaving at least 400w for the rest of your system, so it isn't your PSU (unless its faulty).

http://news.softpedia.com/news/8800GTX-Power-Analysis-4...

Try each card singly to make sure you haven't got a faulty vid. card. Also make sure its seated properly in the slot. Also check there's nothing you need to set on your motherboard if you use both slots.

If all that fails then I'm much more inclined to believe its down to your overclocking settings being too agressive causing your system to be unstable. Try putting EVERYTHING back to default clocks and voltages and see what happens then.
June 12, 2007 6:38:54 PM

To the OP:

What monitor are you using just out of curiousity and to be completely off-topic.
June 12, 2007 6:46:30 PM

I never found that the small boost of SLI was worth the extra cost so I never used it...but I have read that some RAM setting are needed at times with SLI if your system is OC'ed. There are alot more than just the main four time settings most people look at.

Like I said I never had the need to know myself and I don't recall the artical I read about this in the past week was located at.

If you can't get it sorted out ask Angry Games on the DFI/DIY forums:
http://www.diy-street.com/forum/index.php
June 12, 2007 6:47:21 PM

Quote:
Ignore all the people saying its your PSU. They've been reading too much ATI propaganda.

8800GTX's only use 140-170W each, so thats leaving at least 400w for the rest of your system, so it isn't your PSU (unless its faulty).

http://news.softpedia.com/news/8800GTX-Power-Analysis-4...

Try each card singly to make sure you haven't got a faulty vid. card. Also make sure its seated properly in the slot. Also check there's nothing you need to set on your motherboard if you use both slots.

If all that fails then I'm much more inclined to believe its down to your overclocking settings being too agressive causing your system to be unstable. Try putting EVERYTHING back to default clocks and voltages and see what happens then.

Seeing how I have Nvidia cards in all four of my computers, I don't think I'm speaking from ATI propaganda. I have stated that the psu rating is adequate, but the power output of the OP's psu might not be to spec, i.e., a faulty psu. I have also mentioned possible BIOS or motherboard problems. I do think its significant that the OP mentioned a strange sound coming from his cpu. That could indicate a bad capacitor or something. Can't say for sure.

Granted, you might not have been including my responses in your statement, yet when you write "Ignore all the people saying its your PSU", you're painting everyone with a very broad brush.
a c 236 K Overclocking
June 14, 2007 3:55:32 AM

Theres one in every thread EH Sailer :roll:

I was just looking at an article in CPU magazine concerning high end power supplies and the ones they tested capability to handle 2 8800GTX, I wish the OPs Silverstone had been covered in the article but it wasn't.

Seems just because its a high wattage P/S doesn't mean it'll support 2 8800GTX graphics cards, I was really surprised when the Fortron FX760E failed to support the 2 graphics cards.

Heres a list of the P/Ss CPU Mag tested that did run 2 8800GTX stable;
Cooler Master Real Power Pro 1000W Con=1000w Peak=1200w 6 12v Rails
Enermax Infiniti 720W Con=720w Peak=800w 3 12v Rails
Enermax Galaxy DXX 1000W Con=1000w Peak=1100 5 12v Rails
E-Power Xscale 750W Con=750w Peak=750w 1-4 12v Rails [user controlled]
E-Power Tiger 1200W Con=1200w Peak=1200w 6 12v Rails
FSP Kingcraft 1000W Con=1000w Peak=N/A 4 12v Rails
PC Power & Cooling Silencer 750W EPS12V Quad Con=750w Peak=825w 1 12v Rail
PC Power & Cooling Turbo-Cool 1000W SR Con=1000w Peak=1100w 1 12v Rail

The following failed to stably run 2 8800GTX in SLI
FSP FX 760E Con=700w Peak=760w 4 12v Rails
Tagan Turbojet TG1100-U96 1100W Con=1100w Peak=1200w 6 12v Rails

Con=Continuous
CPU Magazine= Computer Power User, for any that want to check out the article yourself it was in the May issue 2007

Quality seems the way to go when stepping into 2 8800GTX in SLI when it comes to the Power Supply thats going to power the rig, but as expensive as it is if you can afford 2 8800GTX, then the necessary P/S should be gravy.

Went to San Juan when I was in the Navy, and cruised the Virgin Islands, we got thrown out of St Thomas for participating in a race riot. Oh well, it was fun while it lasted! :wink:
a c 236 K Overclocking
June 14, 2007 4:18:27 AM

Quote:
I never found that the small boost of SLI was worth the extra cost so I never used it

3D Mark 03 Single 7800GTX 21,317 in SLI 34,521
3D Mark 05 Single 7800GTX 9,586 in SLI 13,738
3D Mark 06 Single 7800GTX 5,013 in SLI 7,804

In 03 thats a small boost of 13,204
In 05 thats a small boost of 4,152
In 06 thats a small boost of 2,791

Wow I see what you mean! :lol: 
June 14, 2007 4:30:22 AM

Quote:

Quality seems the way to go when stepping into 2 8800GTX in SLI when it comes to the Power Supply thats going to power the rig, but as expensive as it is if you can afford 2 8800GTX, then the necessary P/S should be gravy.

That's a thing I always wonder about. Why is it that so many people are willing to put a thousand plus dollars into graphics cards and then cry about having to spend a few hundred dollars for a good psu to power them? Oh well, it'll be theri problem and not mine.

Quote:
Went to San Juan when I was in the Navy, and cruised the Virgin Islands, we got thrown out of St Thomas for participating in a race riot. Oh well, it was fun while it lasted! :wink:

Now those are nice islands to visit. Never actually raced my boat, but did enjoy watching the girls in their bikini's, or lack thereof.
a c 236 K Overclocking
June 14, 2007 4:36:32 AM

Man the water there was crystal blue, while cruising through you could see the bottom clearly, the beach sand white as snow, it was absolutely beautiful there, I'd love to go back, but on my time not the militarys! :wink:
June 14, 2007 4:38:15 AM

That's something I like about being retired from the military. I can go where I like, for however long I like, and if I don't like it, I can leave.
June 14, 2007 5:09:46 AM

I had somthing like that happent to me, but it was only with 1 8800gtx. I found out that my 8800 gtx requires 30 amps to run at fuul speed. I was using both the 6 pin connection off the Power supply. but it turned out that they where on the same rail. 20 amps was just enough to run the card at idle, but when I cranked it up my computer would shutdown/crash.

To fix this, I went out and bought a 600 watt quad rail with 18 amps per rail power supply. I have had no problems since then.

I know that you are running 2 8800gtx's so you are going to need a nuclear reactor to power them, just make sure you have enough amps available to power them at max settings. I am sure that this will help you out.

If you do get a new Power Supply, be sure to get a really good one. Dont be cheap because it could cost you more down the road. I have had a power supply take out everything in 1 quick min. And thats not fun when you have to explain that to your wife.

I hope that this helps you. Good luck
June 14, 2007 5:59:23 AM

THG did stress test on PSU, this would be a help for you to read. There were a few brands that failed the stress test. Bad thing when a company says 32 amp on the 12 volt and really when stressed at that they failed. Sales are sales knowing all the psu can handle is 24. I'm being lazy now and refuse to dig the link for you the psu stress test was late last year but a real good read.
I not lazy now got over it Stress test
a c 236 K Overclocking
June 14, 2007 11:00:35 AM

Yep thats the ticket, doing what you want when you want! :wink:
a c 236 K Overclocking
June 14, 2007 11:03:05 AM

Quote:
And thats not fun when you have to explain that to your wife.

Definitely been there before! :wink:
!