Sign in with
Your question

Fastest CPU for engineering workstation

Last response: in CPUs
June 12, 2007 4:20:10 PM

I am interested to see if you have a comparison which rates Xeon Core 2 duo vs AMD vs RISC vs Itanium 2 vs others for fastest calculation per second. Some of the analyses I perform take several days on my current computer. Is there a significant difference anymore?
June 12, 2007 4:49:46 PM

Welcome to the forums!!!

Here is a comparison of desktop processors....

Click Me

But I'm not sure where to find such a nice comparison of workstation CPU's.

P.S. What are you currently running?
June 12, 2007 5:36:29 PM

Quote:
I am interested to see if you have a comparison which rates Xeon Core 2 duo vs AMD vs RISC vs Itanium 2 vs others for fastest calculation per second. Some of the analyses I perform take several days on my current computer. Is there a significant difference anymore?

fast calculation in what?
MIPS?
lol
ok

you may need to see which CPU does faster in what application. Need more details on what you want
Related resources
June 12, 2007 6:50:40 PM

I have an Itanium 2 1.4 Ghz system (8Gb RAM) Ultra SCSI (15,000 rpm HD) running HP-UX 11i (Unix) With a Nvidia Quadra (5xxx?) video card. Runnig MSC Mentat & Marc.

I would like to know if the latest x86 based 64 bit processors (using Unix) can reduce solution times... or would it be pointless to change?

I am told that they have versions of the program which will run with Linux and Vista on the latest AMD with Xeon Core 2 duo processors.
June 12, 2007 7:51:27 PM

I could only find really old comparisons between Itainium 2 and the original (single core) Opteron

http://www.extremetech.com/article2/0,3973,635775,00.asp

and

Quote:
The true test that remains, however, is a test comparing AMD’s Opteron to Intel’s Itanium 2. Intel was not very receptive to the idea of doing a head-to-head; not out of a fear of losing, but out of a desire not to lend AMD any credibility by showing that the Opteron is indeed a competitor to the Itanium 2. While we do believe that the Itanium 2 in its 128-way configurations is definitely out of the Opteron’s league, in the 2-way and 4-way configurations that we are interested in comparing, the two are absolutely competitors.

from http://www.anandtech.com/printarticle.aspx?i=1935

Depending on how many CPUs your current system is running any modern workstation should beat it. A pair of quad core Xeons or quad dual core Opterons (quad core coming soon) should easily shorten your solution times.
September 3, 2007 1:35:26 AM

This summer, at my internship at Intel, I worked on dual-socket dual-core Itanium systems (running the Montecito processor, the most recent Itanium), dual-socket dual-core Woodcrest systems, and dual-socket 3.6GHz Xeon systems.

The Woodcrest and Itanium machines both had 128GB of RAM.
The Xeon (Netburst architecture) had 6GB of RAM

We were running simulations and design checks to make sure there were no violations. From what I remember, the Woodcrest machines ran our tests ~2x faster than the Itanium machines, and ~3x faster than the Xeon machines.

The new Woodcrest machines give a noteworthy speed increase over Itanium systems.
!