Starcraft II to be in Pixel Shader Model 2.0

This interview has been online since June 4 so maybe you already know this, but here is what the cool Blizzard guy with long hair and who likes to say "as far as ... go" said:

As far as system requirements go, we're still filing that in, you know, specifics, but what I can mention is that we are gonna be targeting pixel shader 2.0, so (...) it's gonna be a step-up graphically, and require a fairly decent card. (...) I can't go much beyond that. We will support Windows Vista and Windows XP... and Macintosh actually too.

We intend to support Vista but not specifically any features specific to DX10 at this point, but we're very early, you know we haven't planned not too either, it's just that right now we're focusing on making it playable on both platforms but not exclusive to DX10. (...) That may change, but at this time we're not planning specifically on DX10 features.

So, what this means is that the game should run on the X800 series. Yeah! :D Long live Blizzard!

Source: http://media.pc.ign.com/media/850/850126/vids_1.html
10 answers Last reply
More about starcraft pixel shader model
  1. Thanks for the news update. Since they made the Starcraft2 announcement, I've re-loaded Starcraft and BroodWar as well as renewed my Battle.net account. I rarely get excited over game releases but Starcraft2 is one game I can honestly say I will gladly pay full retail price for. Heck, I may actually even put in a pre-order when it becomes an option.

Given Blizzard is keeping the isometric view I can't imagine the game having super high system requirements. I think just updating the engine to DX9c would be a vast improvement. But then again, being able to play the game at a higher resolution than 800x600 would be a vast improvement. :lol: 8O
  2. Interesting bits of information. I'll also buy happily this game at full retail price as I did for all Blizzard games. Call my bias but this company has provided me with quite a few nice games through the years and I am more the willing to give them my money in order for the them keep on producing games I enjoy.

Refreshed graphics and resolutions along with new content should make this classic enjoyable again. :P
  3. Hope it does not requires Dual-Core CPUs like Supreme Commander :x cause i like to play it smooth with 16xAA like C&C3. :twisted:
    Like it or not...Star Craft rules!
  4. Quote:
    Hope it does not requires Dual-Core CPUs like Supreme Commander cause i like to play it smooth with 16xAA like C&C3.

Blizzard games are famous for their low system requirements, but we can certainly hope the game will have some useful optimizations for dual-core processors. Anyway, by the time it comes out (2009 is my expectation), everyone should have a dual-core processor.

Quote:
    Refreshed graphics and resolutions along with new content should make this classic enjoyable again.
    If the radical change that was Warcraft III over Warcraft II is of any indication, it's a safe bet that Starcraft II will not be Starcraft with fancier graphics. It's gonna be the next best thing garrglll can't wait *drops unconscious to the floor in anticipation*

Quote:
    But then again, being able to play the game at a higher resolution than 800x600 would be a vast improvement.
    Starcraft is limited to 640x480. :wink:
  5. Quote:
    ...by the time it comes out (2009 is my expectation), everyone should have a dual-core processor.

Hope the God send me some help before 2009. :(
  6. I still love Starcraft and can't wait either.
  7. Quote:
    Anyway, by the time it comes out (2009 is my expectation), everyone should have a dual-core processor.

2009? I hope its here by 2008!! I love Starcraft/Broodwars. Besides, if its delayed too long, then the hardware will have left it far behind and it could end up looking bad (graphically) compared to the games of the future. Hey, I'd really like to see it released by Christmas. :D
  8. Quote:
    2009? I hope its here by 2008!! I love Starcraft/Broodwars. Besides, if its delayed too long, then the hardware will have left it far behind and it could end up looking bad (graphically) compared to the games of the future. Hey, I'd really like to see it released by Christmas.
    Well, look at Warcraft III: originally scheduled for 2000, and then delayed, and delayed, and delayed again. It did look a bit dated when it finally came out, in late 2001 if I recall, but Blizzard games don't sell by graphical technology, they sell because of refined, perfect gameplay and outstanding visual style. Gameplay and style, yeah that's Blizzard.

The game is officially not coming out in 2007, and if Blizzard stays true to themselves, it will be delayed again and again. :D That's what I'm expecting it for 2009.
  9. blizzard as always made not very demanding games, to get into the most posible computers with a good game :>
  10. Quote:
    Interesting bits of information. I'll also buy happily this game at full retail price as I did for all Blizzard games. Call my bias but this company has provided me with quite a few nice games through the years and I am more the willing to give them my money in order for the them keep on producing games I enjoy.

Refreshed graphics and resolutions along with new content should make this classic enjoyable again. :P

Same here. If only they'd release Diablo 3 already ... :cry:
Ask a new question

Read More

Graphics Cards Windows Vista Starcraft Graphics