Computer beep codes 4 beeps pause 3 beeps

rlgmarketing

Distinguished
Nov 30, 2009
Dell Inspiron 1501 Does not Boot. I can hear the CD/Rom running at Boot.
I get a 4 beeps pause then 3 beeps code. I can't find anything on this beep code. It only has 512mb memory in slot "A" I put it in slot "B" and the indicator light did flash the "A" meaning no memeory installed in slot "A"
I'm hoping that the memory went bad and not a motherboard issue. Any ideas anyone?

dmroeder

Distinguished
Jan 15, 2005
Are you positive that you have the beep code correct? I copied this from another site:

Dell BIOS Beep Codes:

looks like video card problem.
Beep Codes Possible Causes Corrective Action
1 - 2 No video card detected Reseat the video card
1 - 2 - 2 - 3 BIOS ROM checksum error
1 - 3 - 1 - 1 DRAM refresh error Reseat the memory modules
1 - 3 - 1 - 3 8742 Keyboard Controller error Reseat the keyboard connector
1 - 3 - 3 - 1 Memory defective or not present Reseat the memory modules
1 - 3 - 4 - 1 RAM failure on line xxx Reseat the memory modules
1 - 3 - 4 - 3 RAM failure on data bits xxx of low byte on memory bus Reseat the memory modules
1 - 4 - 1 - 1 RAM failure on data bits xxx of high byte on memory bus Reseat the memory modules

rlgmarketing

Distinguished
Nov 30, 2009

Hello,

And Thanks For Your Response. Yes, it's definitely 4-3 and I'm hoping it is just the memory. I guess the only way to find out is to purchase new. I have price it and it really isn't that costly for the puter.

Again, Many Thanks

rlgmarketing

Distinguished
Nov 30, 2009
Hello aford10,

And Thanks For Your Response. I have check and reseated the memory securely
a few times still nothing.

I'm hoping it is just the memory. I guess the only way to find out is to purchase new. I have price it and it really isn't that costly for the computer. As I have mentioned this is a Lap Top and I have never worked on one before.

I have never joined a chat like this before. I'm VERY Impressed with the response's and time that you members have responded. I wish I could have something to offer from time to time but I'm not at all a "Techie!"

Again, Many Thanks

RAM is pretty simple. You just pull the clips to the side to release the RAM chips, remove them, then place the new ones in. Obviously you know this if you've already reseated them.

The most important thing is to make sure you order the same or compatible RAM.

You don't have to offer anything. Some of us are addicted and get our jollies of out of helping others on here.