After a week, my Idle temps are INcreasing. Why?

random_misc

Distinguished
Mar 1, 2007
First, the components:

e6320 on a DS3 (rev. 3.3). I have a U-120 extr w/ 120mm fan (scythe) to cool it.
AS ceramique
2gb Corsair XMS 6400c4 (at 2.1v)
BFG 7950gt factory oc'd
Seagate 320gb hd 7200.10
Corsair 520hx psu
Antec solo w/ 2 92mm intake fans (in addition to the 120mm tri-Cool that came w/ the case)
Vista Ultimate (if that means anything)

I built it about a 10 days ago. I downloaded CPUz, TAT, SpeedFan, Orthos, CoreTemp, etc. On stock everything, my idle temps were in the low 20s and load temps were in the low to mid 30s.

A couple days later I worked up the courage to OC. I upped the appropriate voltages (using Wusy's guide and another from HardOCP forum..can't recall the name). I didn't go for a crazy OC, just a moderate one, w/ FSB at 399 (at 400 it wouldn't POST), putting me at 2.78. Temp readings for that day and the next day or two had my idle temps in the mid 30s, usually btwn 33 and 36. Load temps were 54-57.

Now about a week later, my temps have actually increased! I don't get it. Using TAT, my idle temps are now 39-42, mostly above 40. Readings from CoreTemp are mostly identical.

I thought after burn-in, my temps were actually supposed to go down a degree or three. What gives? Ambient temps in the room are fairly consistent, usually 70 degrees (fahrenheit). Why are my idle temps going up? I'm pretty sure i applied the ceramique correctly (using the AS instructions from online). I don't see any programs out of the ordinary running in the background (but maybe i don't know what to look for).

Any help/ideas/comments are greatly appreciated. Thanks!

harmattan

Distinguished
Jul 24, 2006
Yes, your temps should go down a bit after burn-in and the thermal paste melts/reforms.

One thing you can check: is your HSF slipping? I had a Scythe INF that was slipping little by little as time went on because one of the top prongs wasn't tight. After re-seating and re-fastening it was ok.

random_misc

Distinguished
Mar 1, 2007
Thanks harmatten and jtt for the replies.

I'll check the seating of the HSF (i just got another HD, so i'll be opening the case), but it seemed pretty secure and fastened after installation. I haven't looked in the case since then, so i suppose it's possible it slipped a smidge over the past week...though i really hope not.

I don't have any pets, and while my place is not immaculate, i'm not up to my ankles in dust 8) (I do vacuum occasionally, though not in the past couple weeks). I don't think the fans or intakes could accumulate enough dust in so short a time anywho :wink: .

The computer is sitting on top of my desk and I think air access is pretty good, i.e. it's not right up against the wall (it's about 4 inches from the wall) or in an enclosure.

Any other ideas as to what may be causing this? thanks all!

random_misc

Distinguished
Mar 1, 2007
@ZOldDude - thanks for replying :) . I understand increased volts = more heat, but do you think it would cause temps to rise a week later? I haven't touched the volts since the initial OC, and at that time, temps were ~34/~55. Now they're ~40/~58, w/o touching anything since then.

But re-trying the stock volts is a good idea though; saves power and heat and might still result in the same oc. I'll give it a shot. Thanks!

random_misc

Distinguished
Mar 1, 2007
Well, quick update:

I opened the case last night to install an add'l hdd.

I didn't notice any slippage in the HSF. I tried to jiggle it to see if there was any movement, but it felt pretty firm. It seemed pretty securely fastened, but I guess I won't know unless I remove the mobo from the case to get a really good view. If the temps stay like they are, I may break down and take the mobo out of the case (it's gonna be a pain).

I did put the MCH voltage back to normal (from a +0.1v) w/o any problems (so far...keeping my fingers crossed). However, there was no reduction in the temps.

I did some more wire management, but there was no drop in temps either.

Any other ideas?