quadfather review = super disappointing

cb62fcni

Distinguished
Jul 15, 2006
I agree, you could easily build a unit with similar specs for less than 3000, especially with the upcoming quad price drops. The quadfather is, simply put, a turd.

bfellow

Distinguished
Dec 22, 2006
makes me sad

http://www.tomshardware.com/2007/06/12/vigor_force_recon_qx4/index.html

oh great green god, spare us the despair of your latest and greatest being a flop!! let yer k10 shine bright 4ever!!

Those benchmarks were, to say the most positive thing you could you could say about them, abysmal. On the other hand, the $7200 price tag of the Intel based Dell system is, in a word, retarded.

Well they did say part of the cost was the ~$600 Dell monitor and the Quadfather didn't have one.

turpit

Splendid
Feb 12, 2006
makes me sad

oh great green god, spare us the despair of your latest and greatest being a flop!! let yer k10 shine bright 4ever!!

Those benchmarks were, to say the most positive thing you could you could say about them, abysmal. On the other hand, the $7200 price tag of the Intel based Dell system is, in a word, retarded.

Well they did say part of the cost was the ~$600 Dell monitor and the Quadfather didn't have one.

Even @ $6600 the price is retarded. Still significantly cheaper to build your own. :wink:

petevsdrm

Distinguished
Feb 19, 2007
The review was meh, but the discussion is priceless!

"abysmal"
"retarded"
"turd"

The quadfather is an abysmal retarded turd.

:lol: :lol: :lol:

Oh how the mighty have fallen. :cry:

turpit

Splendid
Feb 12, 2006

"abysmal"
"retarded"
"turd"

That said, it does have the potential to mature into something spectactular...after K10 arrives and itself gets sorted out. However, from 4x4s inception to the current date, the above description is not unwarrented.

cb62fcni

Distinguished
Jul 15, 2006
True, but that's assuming that AMD can get its yields straight, which it looks like they're having serious problems doing. A month from launch and the best silicon that's been seen is only running at 1.6, with rumors of a 2Ghz floating around. The projections at 2.6Ghz, based on internal AMD simulations mind you, still showed only a relatively slim lead over conroe, and furthermore were based on a fairly irrelevant benchmark to begin with (SPEC). So whatever, I'll believe it when I see it. I seriously hope AMD has SOMETHING that can compete, cause the last thing any of us want is Intel dominating and prices going through the roof.

ZOldDude

Distinguished
Apr 22, 2006
Anyway you look at it IF your going to buy a pre built system and want the best then go for a Falcon.

Then again for that much money you could buy a new car.

turpit

Splendid
Feb 12, 2006
True, but that's assuming that AMD can get its yields straight, which it looks like they're having serious problems doing. A month from launch and the best silicon that's been seen is only running at 1.6, with rumors of a 2Ghz floating around. The projections at 2.6Ghz, based on internal AMD simulations mind you, still showed only a relatively slim lead over conroe, and furthermore were based on a fairly irrelevant benchmark to begin with (SPEC). So whatever, I'll believe it when I see it. I seriously hope AMD has SOMETHING that can compete, cause the last thing any of us want is Intel dominating and prices going through the roof.

Agreed

bfellow

Distinguished
Dec 22, 2006
Yeah... it should be a 2x2 or 2x4 (2 cards x 4 cores). If someone offers you the quadfather, is it an offer you would refuse?

turpit

Splendid
Feb 12, 2006
The quadfather is, simply put, a turd.

A quad turd :wink:

Funny that this is what the PR department at AMD touted as "the ultimate enthusiast" system
It's not a quad turd in my eyes... maybe a 2X2 turd... but not a quad.

:lol: :lol:

Still, as solutions go, with AMD crying "glued core" over MCM, the MCM seems a far more elegant solution to achieving a quad core CPU than the "glued mobo"

BaronMatrix

Splendid
Dec 14, 2005
makes me sad

God you guys....... How could anyone in their right mind ( including AMD) have thought that if X2 can't beat C2D somehow QFX would beat C2Q?

There were a lot of tests that Anand ran that they didn't like BluRay stress tests where you would play a movie and then run benches. QFX did MUCH better in those scenarios. That what the platform was for, running lots of things at once, not improving the speed of the chip.

I still may go for it after the DX10 stuff shapes up. But I think I want Agena. The other key point is that the Vigor machine was $2000 less than the Dell and though it didn't win those tests, only Oblivion had bad frame rates.
That's why I say benchmarks mean less than before as now every game gets more than playable frame rates with nearly any X2 or Core 2.

I mean Doom3 at 125fps 2048x1536 is more than enough. AMD has enough things to deal with being under Intel's heel (they are actually competing with a non-profit organization - that's low) without peole hollaring how they would have done this and AMD was being complacent, etc.

What you should all do is go to electrical engineering school and become CPU designers. That way you can have chips when you want them.

Oh you mean Fab cost billions to build and chip designs take two years so you wouldn't be in any better shape.

That's what I thought.

Let the company be. There are only TWO X86 CPU companies and people act like Via overtook them along with Transmeta and Cyrix and now AMD is bringing up the rear in 5th place.

I think that those beautiful HD2600 and HD2400s are going to mae AMD a lot of dough as Computex reported that AMD has 60% of OEM orders and climbing with those 65nm chips.
Now with WalMart and Sam's Club carrying AMD, that's a bit more share along with Toshiba who says they will be at least 20% AMD. If they sell 5 million laptops, that's 1 million AMD chips sold.

I think that Barcelona will be what they said and with the minimal benches around it's easy to believe.

Forgive my rant.

BaronMatrix

Splendid
Dec 14, 2005

"abysmal"
"retarded"
"turd"

That said, it does have the potential to mature into something spectactular...after K10 arrives and itself gets sorted out. However, from 4x4s inception to the current date, the above description is not unwarrented.

Can someone explain to me why Phenom will be better suited for this. I mean it's the same thing with a faster HT. Won't single threaded apps still have the same problems?

I mean I was thinking about slapping two 2.2GHz Opterons into one of those boards just so I don't need to check my wiring.

But either of those systems will be a power hog. I think it's a great platform except for the power. I think it would be even better if there were more mobos and chipsets for it.

It's a shame that 790G boards will be more useful for Agena than Windsor.

petevsdrm

Distinguished
Feb 19, 2007
I still may go for it after the DX10 stuff shapes up. But I think I want Agena.

Yeah Turpit mentioned earlier the platform may be very nice with a couple of k10 chips in there. Still *sigh* waiting on benchies, but if AMD can get their steppings tightened up with higher clocks it may even become the enthusiast platform it was originally touted as.

Shame about the current perfomance though. I bet someone somewhere will buy it anyway.

BaronMatrix

Splendid
Dec 14, 2005

According to all sources there are higher clocks but the rev had some problems. You mean Intel would just raise prices and screw everyone? Heaven forbid.

And SPEC is far from irrelevant as it actually runs real applications. The last comparisons between Penryn and Barcelona show that clock for clock they are about even.

AM2 sucked all the way up until release and that came out great (latency issues notwithstanding).

AMD is now selling GPUs like hotcakes so the funds should pick back up going into Q3. I still think that they should be trying to release Agena ASAP to get some footing back on the desktop.

cb62fcni

Distinguished
Jul 15, 2006
You mean that they're selling video cards that are about as useful as hotcakes, right? Well, that's a tad unfair, the HD2900 isn't really a bad card, though their leaving out UVD is absolutely inexcusable IMO.

SPEC should just be avoided, you know how much controversy it generates. You want real benchmarks? Here's K10 lagging a xeon by 8% clock for clock:
http://www.dailytech.com/Quick+and+Dirty+AMD+K10+Cinebench/article7574.htm

They obviously need to do something, head should roll, there's no excuse for their performance this last year, and apparently, beyond.

cb62fcni

Distinguished
Jul 15, 2006
And yes, I know that if the K10 had been clocked up to 2.4Ghz like the Xeon, the IMC would be clocked higher too and probably close the gap. But still, lookin kinda weak.

turpit

Splendid
Feb 12, 2006
makes me sad

God you guys....... How could anyone in their right mind ( including AMD) have thought that if X2 can't beat C2D somehow QFX would beat C2Q?

The benchmarks speak for themselves. The "Ultimate Enthusiast" system is anything but ultimate, when compared to the competitions top system. Unless you consider power demands and waste heat production. Nothing more can be said, and there is no way to twist the benchmarks when comparing the best available to the best available.

There were a lot of tests that Anand ran that they didn't like BluRay stress tests where you would play a movie and then run benches. QFX did MUCH better in those scenarios. That what the platform was for, running lots of things at once, not improving the speed of the chip.

As far as anandtech, if you are refering to the review here:

http://www.anandtech.com/cpuchipsets/showdoc.aspx?i=2879

First, note the date. I would hope AMD actually managed some improvement since Nov 6. Also note, that while QFX does indeed scale better in BluRay + Cinebench, it only does so by 8% releative to the reference system. In the 3 other BluRay benchmarks, C2Q beats QFX by as little as 4.4% to a maximum of 13.9%. To be precise, BluRay performance is not better with Blue Ray, but in fact Cinebench.

So I am not seeing the "...a lot of tests that Anand ran that they didn't like BluRay stress tests where you would play a movie and then run benches. QFX did MUCH better in those scenarios....", so I may very well be refering incorrectly to a different set of tests. Would you be so kind as to link to the test to which you are refering so I may review the results?

anandme1.jpg

I still may go for it after the DX10 stuff shapes up. But I think I want Agena. The other key point is that the Vigor machine was $2000 less than the Dell and though it didn't win those tests, only Oblivion had bad frame rates.
That's why I say benchmarks mean less than before as now every game gets more than playable frame rates with nearly any X2 or Core 2.

I mean Doom3 at 125fps 2048x1536 is more than enough. AMD has enough things to deal with being under Intel's heel (they are actually competing with a non-profit organization - that's low) without peole hollaring how they would have done this and AMD was being complacent, etc.
That is a valid point, however, these are "ulitimate enthusiast" systems, not geared towards those concious or caring of the price-performance comparison. Theses are for people who care about "e-penis" size, not how many FPS they can get for the lowest price...just how many FPS they can get. Regardless of whether is "good enough" or not. That is, the best vs best.

What you should all do is go to electrical engineering school and become CPU designers. That way you can have chips when you want them.

Oh you mean Fab cost billions to build and chip designs take two years so you wouldn't be in any better shape.

That's what I thought.

That is a combative comment, and as such, not worth rebutting.

Let the company be. There are only TWO X86 CPU companies and people act like Via overtook them along with Transmeta and Cyrix and now AMD is bringing up the rear in 5th place.

I think that those beautiful HD2600 and HD2400s are going to mae AMD a lot of dough as Computex reported that AMD has 60% of OEM orders and climbing with those 65nm chips.
The HD2600 and 2400s are apparently not shaping up to hopes. If rumours are correct, and the R600s were intended for 65/45nm production, then producing them @ 80nm was quite possibly a large mistake, unless ATI wanted to solidify the Uarch before transitioning to the new node. In any event, we will have to wait to see actual performance numbers, but if the rumours floating out of comptuex are to be beileved, then there is not much to be excited about.

Now with WalMart and Sam's Club carrying AMD, that's a bit more share along with Toshiba who says they will be at least 20% AMD. If they sell 5 million laptops, that's 1 million AMD chips sold.

I think that Barcelona will be what they said and with the minimal benches around it's easy to believe.

Forgive my rant.

We will see when the EOQ numbers are posted, but IMO, personally, I dont think Walmart sales will have that big an impact on AMDs marketshare.

edit spelling errors