JElks

Distinguished
May 24, 2007
I need to upgrade my computer soon, I've had it for years, and I want to upgrade it with gaming in mind. Here are my two options:
Upgrade this summer and get
*EVGA nForce 680i SE SLI (TR Version)
*2 EVGA GeForce 8800 GTS 320MB (2 of them, for SLI)
*2GB Corsair Dominator DDR2 Memory
*1000 Watt power supply
*Intel Core 2 Duo E440 2.0 Ghz
or upgrade around Christmas and get;
*One of those G92 1 teraflop cards that people are talking about (how expensive?)
*and I don't know what else... help me?

turpit

Splendid
Feb 12, 2006
I need to upgrade my computer soon, I've had it for years, and I want to upgrade it with gaming in mind. Here are my two options:
Upgrade this summer and get
*EVGA nForce 680i SE SLI (TR Version)
*2 EVGA GeForce 8800 GTS 320MB (2 of them, for SLI)
*2GB Corsair Dominator DDR2 Memory
*1000 Watt power supply
*Intel Core 2 Duo E440 2.0 Ghz
or upgrade around Christmas and get;
*One of those G92 1 teraflop cards that people are talking about (how expensive?)
*and I don't know what else... help me?

Unless you heart is set on having 2 video cards for bragging rights, 2 cards in SLI isnt going to buy you that much more performance (frames per second) over a single 8800GTX. With the newer physics intensive games down the road, you may very well be better off buying the GTX, and investing the remaining $ in a faster CPU, though if you are going to overclock, the 4400 will do fine.

On the HDD, with performance in mind, and your stated budget, you may want to consider a SSD HDD as a primary OS drive with a standard HDD as storage. SSDs are very pricey right now and have low capacity, but are much faster than conventional HDDs.

If you are planning on running Vista, you may also want to consider more ram. 2GB will be fine, but with Vista, more (up to 4) is better.

speedbird

Distinguished
Apr 19, 2007
There's really no point waiting for new technology to become available unless it's just round the corner. There's always going to be something better in the near future :) .

JElks

Distinguished
May 24, 2007
so should I wait for the new series, or just get an 8800 Ultra or something? Oh, what do you mean by SSD and HDD?

JElks

Distinguished
May 24, 2007
4GB Corsair Dominator RAM
Intel Core 2 dua E6600 Conroe 2.4GHz
EVGA GeForce GTX 768 MB
what motherboard should I get, and is there anything else I need to worry about?

turpit

Splendid
Feb 12, 2006
so should I wait for the new series, or just get an 8800 Ultra or something? Oh, what do you mean by SSD and HDD?

Depends. As already pointed out, there is always something new right around the corner. Honestly, with the Dx10 driver difficulites both Nvidi and ATI are having right now, I would wait a bit for things to settle out and the latest frimware to hit the shelves before shelling out Big $ for a new video card.

But if you want right now, the 8800GTX is about the best single card you are going to get.

SSD = Solid State Drive
HDD = Hard Disk Drive (standard hard drive)

SSDs are an emerging replacement for standard mechanical disk hard drives. No moving parts, much lower energy usage, much lower waste heat generated and much faster data transfer rates. They have been in use for some time in the server market, but due to their high costs are only recently making their way into the laptop and descktop segments.

JElks

Distinguished
May 24, 2007
I need to do it soon, so I guess I'll do the setup with the 8800 GTX and the better CPU/more RAM. What motherboard should I get, and shold I get anything else?

turpit

Splendid
Feb 12, 2006
I need to do it soon, so I guess I'll do the setup with the 8800 GTX and the better CPU/more RAM. What motherboard should I get, and shold I get anything else?

Well honestly, if I were in your position, Id wait a month or 2 and get a P35 based mobo. It will be upgradable to Penryn when that comes out, giving you definate potential to expand beyond the 65nm C2D/C2Qs, but those mobos are only just hitting the market, so there are no current users from which to draw experience and information from. I havent seen if the 680i chipsets will support Penryn or not, and I dont trust any rumours floating about 975/965-Penryn compatability, so I cant say about those. The one known bad thing about the P35s is....DDR3.

1 to 2 months will also allow time for both Nvidia and ATI to continue working on their drivers, and see if the ATI R600 series GPUs cant have some more performance coaxed out of them, pushing them past the Nvidia 8800s.

Right this second, there are a bunch of good 775 mobos out. All depends what you want to do really, especially if you want to overclock or not.

YoHoJoe

Distinguished
May 30, 2007
From the sounds of it, you should start off slow. Compile the more accurate advice and knowledge others have in this forum and act on that information. Plus whatever you buy today that is top, will soon not be top any longer. Computer technology is snowballing now, getting bigger and bigger and growing faster and faster.