How to solve this situation?

Last response: in Home Theatre
February 1, 2005 12:30:54 PM

I have the DirecTiVo HD DVR connected to the TV set via an HDMI cable,
and to the VCR via composite cables (the VCR has only composite jacks).

I tried to view and record a show at the same time. The VCR accepts
only 480i signals, and the TV will not accept 480i over the HDMI cable.
(I have the DirecTV receiver set to output 720p, the native resolution
of the TV set.)

Other than watching the show and recording the VCR at separate times, is
there anything else I can do with this setup.

I was thinking of getting a DVD recorder to use instead of the VCR, but
I record programming very seldomly, so it would probably not be cost
effective.

More about : solve situation

Anonymous
February 1, 2005 9:55:51 PM

You might get the best answer over at the Tivo Foum -
http://www.tivocommunity.com/tivo-vb/
YMMV

"Sleep is a poor substitute for coffee."
- Anon

"Michelle Steiner" <michelle@michelle.org> wrote in message
>I have the DirecTiVo HD DVR connected to the TV set via an HDMI cable,
> and to the VCR via composite cables (the VCR has only composite jacks).
>
> I tried to view and record a show at the same time. The VCR accepts
> only 480i signals, and the TV will not accept 480i over the HDMI cable.
> (I have the DirecTV receiver set to output 720p, the native resolution
> of the TV set.)
>
> Other than watching the show and recording the VCR at separate times, is
> there anything else I can do with this setup.
>
> I was thinking of getting a DVD recorder to use instead of the VCR, but
> I record programming very seldomly, so it would probably not be cost
> effective.
>
> --
> Stop Mad Cowboy Disease: Impeach the son of a Bush.
Anonymous
February 1, 2005 9:55:52 PM

In article <IfKdnXvgodqWip3fRVn-1Q@comcast.com>,
"MrMike6by9" <MrMike6by9@tepidmail.com> wrote:

> You might get the best answer over at the Tivo Foum -
> http://www.tivocommunity.com/tivo-vb/
> YMMV

This isn't a TiVo problem; it's an HDTV receiver problem.

> "Sleep is a poor substitute for coffee."
> - Anon
>
> "Michelle Steiner" <michelle@michelle.org> wrote in message
> >I have the DirecTiVo HD DVR connected to the TV set via an HDMI cable,
> > and to the VCR via composite cables (the VCR has only composite jacks).
> >
> > I tried to view and record a show at the same time. The VCR accepts
> > only 480i signals, and the TV will not accept 480i over the HDMI cable.
> > (I have the DirecTV receiver set to output 720p, the native resolution
> > of the TV set.)
> >
> > Other than watching the show and recording the VCR at separate times, is
> > there anything else I can do with this setup.
> >
> > I was thinking of getting a DVD recorder to use instead of the VCR, but
> > I record programming very seldomly, so it would probably not be cost
> > effective.
> >
> > --
> > Stop Mad Cowboy Disease: Impeach the son of a Bush.

February 2, 2005 8:27:26 AM

I guess reading the "DirecTivo HD DVR" made me think it was a Tivo related
question. That's where I would look. Having only Tivo, a VCR, and cable HD,
I already figured out my layout for connectivity. Suit yourself.

--

> In article <IfKdnXvgodqWip3fRVn-1Q@comcast.com>,
> "MrMike6by9" <MrMike6by9@tepidmail.com> wrote:
>
>> You might get the best answer over at the Tivo Foum -
>> http://www.tivocommunity.com/tivo-vb/
>> YMMV
>
> This isn't a TiVo problem; it's an HDTV receiver problem.
>
>> "Sleep is a poor substitute for coffee."
>> - Anon
>>
>> "Michelle Steiner" <michelle@michelle.org> wrote in message
>> >I have the DirecTiVo HD DVR connected to the TV set via an HDMI cable,
>> > and to the VCR via composite cables (the VCR has only composite jacks).
>> >
>> > I tried to view and record a show at the same time. The VCR accepts
>> > only 480i signals, and the TV will not accept 480i over the HDMI cable.
>> > (I have the DirecTV receiver set to output 720p, the native resolution
>> > of the TV set.)
>> >
>> > Other than watching the show and recording the VCR at separate times,
>> > is
>> > there anything else I can do with this setup.
>> >
>> > I was thinking of getting a DVD recorder to use instead of the VCR, but
>> > I record programming very seldomly, so it would probably not be cost
>> > effective.
>> >
>> > --
>> > Stop Mad Cowboy Disease: Impeach the son of a Bush.
>
> --
> Stop Mad Cowboy Disease: Impeach the son of a Bush.
Anonymous
February 2, 2005 9:33:01 AM

You can always opt for a second CATV Supplied Box, one desiginated
specifically to the VCR for your recording pleasures. After all the monthly
charge is only $5.00 USD. Eh? May be too much of a technicial challenge to
actually have both of them available, responding to the same remote commands
tho.
"MrMike6by9" <MrMike6by9@tepidmail.com> wrote in message
news:o 7WdneD0XdKSNp3fRVn-hg@comcast.com...
>I guess reading the "DirecTivo HD DVR" made me think it was a Tivo related
>question. That's where I would look. Having only Tivo, a VCR, and cable HD,
>I already figured out my layout for connectivity. Suit yourself.
>
> --
> "Sleep is a poor substitute for coffee."
> - Anon
>
> "Michelle Steiner" <michelle@michelle.org> wrote in message
>> In article <IfKdnXvgodqWip3fRVn-1Q@comcast.com>,
>> "MrMike6by9" <MrMike6by9@tepidmail.com> wrote:
>>
>>> You might get the best answer over at the Tivo Foum -
>>> http://www.tivocommunity.com/tivo-vb/
>>> YMMV
>>
>> This isn't a TiVo problem; it's an HDTV receiver problem.
>>
>>> "Sleep is a poor substitute for coffee."
>>> - Anon
>>>
>>> "Michelle Steiner" <michelle@michelle.org> wrote in message

>> --
>> Stop Mad Cowboy Disease: Impeach the son of a Bush.

Anonymous
February 2, 2005 1:13:44 PM

In article <_sedncSAvN7sJ53fRVn-tA@comcast.com>,
"Art" <plotsligt@comcast.net> wrote:

> You can always opt for a second CATV Supplied Box,

It's DirecTV, not CATV. And the frequency I record things makes that
not worth the cost.

I was trying to record a show for a friend who wasn't able to record it
for himself.