965P-DS3 Questions (SATA, RAM, FAN speed, Startup time)

AgamemnonZ

Distinguished
Apr 23, 2007
Before talking about my problem; this is my config:

965P-DS3
e6600
Kingston KHX6400D2LLK2/2G (PC6400 CL4 2x 1GB)
Sunsway PCI-IDECMD0680R (2x ATA133, PCI32/66) (PCI IDE contoller)
Arctic Freezer Pro 7

HDDs:

Hitachi Deskstar T7K250, 250GB (7200rpm, SATA II, 8MB, NCQ)
Maxtor DiamondMax Plus 9, 120GB (7200rpm, ATA133, 8MB)
Seagate Barracuda IV, 40GB (7200rpm, ATA100, 2MB)

DVD&CD-writer:
Pioneer DVR-109, 16x (Dual-Layer)
Philips 52x32x52x PCRW5232K (Retail)

I have quite a few questions and since I'm sure that not everybody can answer all of them I've split them up to contain there own section. So you can respond to the problem where you know the answer to.

MEMORY Question:
I have PC6400 cl4 memory (which is 400MHz), but it is set to 333 MHz using 5-5-5-15 timings.
So I'll have to change these settings in the BIOS (using ctrl+F1) to:
Cas Latency Time: 4
DRAM RAS# to CAS# Delay: 4
DRAM RAS# Precharge: 4
Precharge Delay(tRAS): 15
The problem is that I don't know what I have to fill in for these settings:
ACT to ACT Delay(tRRD):
Rank Write to Read Delay:
Write to Precharge Delay:
Refresh to ACT Delay:
Read to Precharge Delay:
Furthermore I'll have to put the memory clock to 400MHz and multiplier to 2 I guess?

SATA Question:
I wonder what the best configuration for my HDDs and optical writers is.
My current config:
ICH8 SATA: Hitachi Deskstar T7K250, 250GB (7200rpm, SATA II, 8MB, NCQ)
ICH8 IDE:
- Maxtor DiamondMax Plus 9, 120GB (7200rpm, ATA133, 8MB)
- Seagate Barracuda IV, 40GB (7200rpm, ATA100, 2MB)
Sunsway IDE:
- Pioneer DVR-109, 16x (Dual-Layer)
- Philips 52x32x52x PCRW5232K (Retail)

I heard the SATA connections using the ICH8 Southbridge don't support some SATA AHCI features like NCQ and hot plug. The Jmicron controller provides two extra SATA connections and one IDE slot. The Jmicron controller does provide the SATA features that the ICH8 Doesn't. But I also heard that the JMicron uses more CPU power then the ICH8. So what is the best configuration?

FAN Question:
There are a few ways to define how fast my fan rotates.
Auto: BIOS sets fan speed automatically.
Intel QST: Intel QST manages the fan speed.
Legacy: Fan speed is adjusted according to temperature.
Disable: Fan rotates at max speed.
I have it running @ max speed at the moment, but I think it can rotate slower (thus making less sound), Which of the 3 options should I use?

STARTUP TIME Question:
I don't know if anybody knows what I can do about this. My startup time is extremely long (2-3 minutes). This PC should boot quite fast considering its specs. The startup screen showing the controller specs (IRQ etc) takes very long and after that it takes quite a while to get to the windows loading screen. It might be caused by the PCI card "Sunsway IDE Controller". It's made by a noname HongKong based manufacturer (AFAIK), so this might cause some delays. If you have an idea on how to solve this; let me kow :D

scifiguy

Distinguished
May 18, 2007
Wusy did a VERY detailed "HOW-TO" OC a DS3 board and C2D sometime around the 30th of May. Do a search and you will surely find it. I have mine at 3.15Ghz on air it the whole system runs like a dream. I'll look around and see if I can find the link.
8)

AgamemnonZ

Distinguished
Apr 23, 2007
Thanks for the tip, I found the guide here

my memory question is answered by reading this.

I'd be great if someone could help me out on my SATA and FAN control questions.

Armanox

Distinguished
Apr 3, 2007
Well for the sata question : Try to boot without the controller u have installed and look if there is any significant boost in booting.

And for the fans, i think all choices are good besides of the last one (max), because if u are just browsing the web or downloading over night something u dont need ur fan to spin at max speed and produce max noise. When u play and cpu produces more heat and ur fan will spin up when he shoud, so let it be controlled, by which option does not really matter