Sign in with
Sign up | Sign in
Your question

Reformatted/reinstalled XP after issues, seems flakey now

Last response: in Windows XP
Share
August 30, 2009 5:11:27 AM

Ok here's the story first, I built a PC for my gf's family a month ago, and until a couple days ago there had been no problems. Specs-

CORSAIR Dominator 2GB (2 x 1GB) 240-Pin DDR2 SDRAM DDR2 1066 (PC2 8500) Dual Channel Kit Desktop Memory Model

. 1 SAMSUNG DVD Burner Black SATA Model SH-S223L LightScribe Support - OEM

. 1 Western Digital Caviar Black WD6401AALS 640GB 7200 RPM SATA 3.0Gb/s 3.5" Internal Hard Drive - OEM

. 1 Microsoft Windows XP Home SP3 for System Builders - OEM

. 1 GIGABYTE GA-EP43-UD3L LGA 775 Intel P43 ATX Intel Motherboard - Retail

. 1 Intel Core 2 Duo E7400 Wolfdale 2.8GHz LGA 775 65W Dual-Core Processor Model BX80571E7400 - Retail

. 1 OCZ ModXStream Pro OCZ500MXSP 500W ATX12V V2.2 / EPS12V SLI Certified CrossFire Ready 80 PLUS Certified Modular
1 SAPPHIRE 100255U Radeon HD 4670 512MB 128-bit GDDR3 PCI Express 2.0 x16 HDCP Ready Video Card - Retail



They bought a new Logitech wireless mouse/kb combo with speakers thrown in a couple weeks ago, but the buttons stuck on the keyboard so they exchanged it. Well soon after hooking up the replacement (same product) it would randomly restart and sometimes pause on the bios, about once an hour. There's nothing to installing the Logitech stuff, you just plug the usb cables in and it auto-installs what it has to. I thought it had something to do with it because apparently it started crashing/restarting after installing that. It threw a BSOD code of "STOP 0xC000021A" which led me to believe it was a faulty 3rd party app driver as indicated here-
http://support.microsoft.com/kb/156669

I uninstalled the background software for the Logitech stuff and ended up with this code, "STOP: 0x00000050"

Tried Dr Watson/Windows debugger tool, but after getting a memory dump I couldn't analyze the .dmp log due to "missing symbols".

Also, by this point it seemed the system had a hard time installing anything, AVG 8.5 failed, then Avira failed, even though the same download worked on another PC upstairs. Finally I uninstalled the drivers for all the Logitech stuff, put a wired kb/mouse in and tried AVG 8.5 free again and it was well on its way to installing before the PC randomly restarted again.

I said hell with it and did another clean install of XP, deleting old partition and reformatting. The new install had some puzzling issues though, first was after activating Windows online, and going here to download IE 8-
http://www.microsoft.com/windows/internet-explorer/defa...

....the box that usually tells you to download IE 8 merely said, "Internet Explorer 8 is only available for systems running Windows." ........wtf? I also went to download the latest Catalyst driver and it wouldn't complete, so went to history to redownload it and the page I dl'd it from was replaced with something that said, "An unauthorized download on this page has occurred, link is unavailable, etc." It worked when I went back through the motions of selecting the correct driver, but then CCC wouldn't open after that install. It might've been because it didn't detect .NET 2.0, but why was that missing in the first place after a fresh install of XP with SP3?

As you can see this is kind've a fubar'd situation that I'm sure will give me more headaches. So far the PC hasn't crashed after a few hours of use, but who knows. It sounds like it could even be a glitchy motherboard or harddrive not writing properly.



Any ideas or insight into this issue are much appreciated.
August 30, 2009 1:10:32 PM

typically an incompatible third-party program has been installed, heres the link for the check out
http://support.microsoft.com/kb/156669,
good luck, also it could be a issue with having the same files 2 times including the registry entries, did you remove the old device from the system before the installation of the new stuff
August 30, 2009 7:00:04 PM

That could be too (installing over the old). I hooked the wireless Logitech stuff back up once and there were quite a few "new hardware found" chimes that sounded, seemed like too many, like a stutter for each one. Never know with third party stuff, and what can make it worse is trying to correct it a roundabout way, which is what I think caused the download/install issues for other programs.
!