Turning Vista Business into Vista Home Premium

alikum

Distinguished
Nov 28, 2008
Hello guys, I have an issue with Vista.

I have two rigs, one running Vista Business and the other Vista Home Premium.

Vista Business
AMD Phenom II X4 955 @ stock
Kingston Value RAM KVR1333
MSI 790GX-G65
Seagate 7200.12
HIS HD4850 i-Cooler

Vista Home Premium
Core 2 Duo E7400 @ stock
Kingston Hyper-X KHX800 4-4-4-12
Gigabyte P45-DS3R
Seagate 7200.11
Gigabyte HD4850

Now, the problem is that Vista Home Premium rig boots faster than Vista Business. I just cannot figure out why. Is it because Vista Business has many more services running at startup? If so, please let me know which are unnecessary to make it boot faster than the Home Premium rig. Windows 7 is not an option as I do not want to spend much more on OS. Cheers.

dmroeder

Distinguished
Jan 15, 2005
The only real way to compare their boot times is to do a fresh install of both OS's on the exact same rig.

Or in your case, you could install them fresh (no other software), time their boot up (do several and record their time). Then swap OS's on the two rigs and do the same.

Or you could just pick one rig and install Business on it, time it, then install Home Premium on the same one rig and time it again.

alikum

Distinguished
Nov 28, 2008
I understand what you mean dmroeder. However, the rig that has Vista Business installed is fresh and new while the rig that has Vista Home Premium installed is one year old. Now, I believe it comes down to 2 possibilities (need someone to verify them).

1. The Vista Business rig is running on value rams. Btw, I left out the info that both rigs have 4GB installed and Vista Business is x64 while Home Premium is x86-32.

2. Vista Business has many unnecessary services and features compared to Home Premium. Both are running with latest updates.

dmroeder

Distinguished
Jan 15, 2005
I see what you are saying. The freshly installed Business is slower than the older install of Home Premium.

I can't offer you any sound advice on Business, since I have zero experience. Hopefully someone will come along that can.

Maybe this will help? I'd be curious if any of it does.

I know it doesn't really answer your question as to why, but I thought I'd try something until someone smarter comes along.

TRENDING THREADS