Cassiopeia, how to load sw from CF card??

Tags:
August 1, 2004 7:32:23 AM

Archived from groups: uk.comp.sys.palmtops,comp.sys.handhelds (More info?)

Cassiopeia, how to load sw from CF card??

I have a Cassiopeia E100. The battery charging
circuit is busted, so I want to get some use out of it
as an MP3 player running on external power.

Here's the rub...without a battery, it comes up virgin.
It eats backup batteries for lunch when there's no main
battery, so that's not an option.

All I want to do is install the mp3 player from the CF card
and then play the mp3s that are on the CF card.

I can't find any way to execute a program from the virgin machine.
I have to hook up the serial cable and install a program that
can execute programs so I can execute the program that I want
to play the mp3s that I want to listen to. That kinda defeats
the whole purpose...

Is there some way to execute the install program on the CF card
from a virgin machine?
Or maybe there's a place to put a program on the CF card
that gets executed on power up...like autoexec.bat on a dos machine?

Anybody got a dead E100 I can steal a FET off for cheap?

Thanks, mike
--
Return address is VALID.
Compaq Aero floppy,ram,battery.

More about : cassiopeia load card

Anonymous
August 1, 2004 4:31:57 PM

"mike" <spamme0@juno.com> wrote in message news:410CC6B7.7040703@juno.com...
> Cassiopeia, how to load sw from CF card??
>
> I have a Cassiopeia E100. The battery charging
> circuit is busted, so I want to get some use out of it
> as an MP3 player running on external power.
>
> Here's the rub...without a battery, it comes up virgin.
> It eats backup batteries for lunch when there's no main
> battery, so that's not an option.
>
> All I want to do is install the mp3 player from the CF card
> and then play the mp3s that are on the CF card.
>
> I can't find any way to execute a program from the virgin machine.
> I have to hook up the serial cable and install a program that
> can execute programs so I can execute the program that I want
> to play the mp3s that I want to listen to. That kinda defeats
> the whole purpose...
>
> Is there some way to execute the install program on the CF card
> from a virgin machine?
> Or maybe there's a place to put a program on the CF card
> that gets executed on power up...like autoexec.bat on a dos machine?
>
> Anybody got a dead E100 I can steal a FET off for cheap?
>
> Thanks, mike
> --
> Return address is VALID.
> Wanted, 12.1" LCD for Gateway Solo 5300. Samsung LT121SU-121
> Bunch of stuff For Sale and Wanted at the link below.
> Compaq Aero floppy,ram,battery.
> FT-212RH 2-meter 45W transceiver. 2-meter linear
> Toshiba & Compaq LiIon Batteries, Test Equipment
> 30pS pulser, Tektronix Concept Books, spot welding head...
> http://www.geocities.com/SiliconValley/Monitor/4710/

Are you sure that it's the charging circuit and not just a worn out battery?
This doesn't answer your particular question, however, if you want to bring
your Cassiopeia back to life with a new battery, you can buy them from
http://www.pdainternalbattery.com - then click on the appropriate link,
your's will be http://www.cassiopeiabattery.com/ - and the battery for your
model is $35 USD. Just another option.
August 1, 2004 6:49:28 PM

clevelandtech wrote:
> "mike" <spamme0@juno.com> wrote in message news:410CC6B7.7040703@juno.com...
>
>>Cassiopeia, how to load sw from CF card??
>>
>>I have a Cassiopeia E100. The battery charging
>>circuit is busted, so I want to get some use out of it
>>as an MP3 player running on external power.
>>
>>Here's the rub...without a battery, it comes up virgin.
>>It eats backup batteries for lunch when there's no main
>>battery, so that's not an option.
>>
>>All I want to do is install the mp3 player from the CF card
>>and then play the mp3s that are on the CF card.
>>
>>I can't find any way to execute a program from the virgin machine.
>>I have to hook up the serial cable and install a program that
>>can execute programs so I can execute the program that I want
>>to play the mp3s that I want to listen to. That kinda defeats
>>the whole purpose...
>>
>>Is there some way to execute the install program on the CF card
>>from a virgin machine?
>>Or maybe there's a place to put a program on the CF card
>>that gets executed on power up...like autoexec.bat on a dos machine?
>>
>>Anybody got a dead E100 I can steal a FET off for cheap?
>>
>>Thanks, mike
>>--
>>Return address is VALID.
>>Wanted, 12.1" LCD for Gateway Solo 5300. Samsung LT121SU-121
>>Bunch of stuff For Sale and Wanted at the link below.
>>Compaq Aero floppy,ram,battery.
>>FT-212RH 2-meter 45W transceiver. 2-meter linear
>>Toshiba & Compaq LiIon Batteries, Test Equipment
>>30pS pulser, Tektronix Concept Books, spot welding head...
>>http://www.geocities.com/SiliconValley/Monitor/4710/
>>

> Are you sure that it's the charging circuit and not just a worn out battery?

Yep, it's a shorted FET. marked 8L:S2001. TSSOP-8 package.
There are several in there, a bad board would likely have at least one
good one.

mike