If You Had To Choose - HDTV - PCI cards

26 answers Last reply
More about choose hdtv cards

    Phil R. (screenname@domain.com) wrote in alt.tv.tech.hdtv:
    > http://www.scorptec.com.au/index.php?prdid=00009900

    Never heard of it. If I were to get a software card today, I'd get the
    Fusion III.

    > http://shop.ati.com/product.asp?sku=2546404

    This has gotten some pretty bad reviews. The chipset isn't bad, but the
    software is horrid.

    > http://www.digitalconnection.com/Products/Video/mdp120.asp

    Wait (about a month) for the MDP-130, which will feature digital cable
    tuning and an ATI 5th-generation chipset.

    --
    Jeff Rife | "A rabbit's foot? You slaughtered an innocent

    On Tue, 1 Feb 2005 16:13:11 -0500, Jeff Rife <wevsr@nabs.net> wrote:

    >Phil R. (screenname@domain.com) wrote in alt.tv.tech.hdtv:
    >> http://www.scorptec.com.au/index.php?prdid=00009900
    >
    >Never heard of it. If I were to get a software card today, I'd get the
    >Fusion III.
    >
    >> http://shop.ati.com/product.asp?sku=2546404
    >
    >This has gotten some pretty bad reviews. The chipset isn't bad, but the
    >software is horrid.
    >
    >> http://www.digitalconnection.com/Products/Video/mdp120.asp
    >
    >Wait (about a month) for the MDP-130, which will feature digital cable
    >tuning and an ATI 5th-generation chipset.

    Thanks, Jeff.

    --Phil

    On Tue, 1 Feb 2005 16:13:11 -0500, Jeff Rife <wevsr@nabs.net> wrote:

    >Phil R. (screenname@domain.com) wrote in alt.tv.tech.hdtv:
    >> http://www.scorptec.com.au/index.php?prdid=00009900
    >
    >Never heard of it. If I were to get a software card today, I'd get the
    >Fusion III.

    I just downloaded the demo version with the demo clips. Unbelievable.

    Thanks for the suggestion.

    --Phil

    On Tue, 01 Feb 2005 12:19:47 -0800, Phil R <screenname@domain.com> wrote:
    > http://www.scorptec.com.au/index.php?prdid=00009900

    It looks like this card only supports DVB, not ATSC. Not sure where in
    the world you're located, but if the card doesn't support ATSC, you
    can't use it in the US (and probably Canada, too).

    > http://shop.ati.com/product.asp?sku=2546404

    The software and drivers for this card are really bad. I have the
    misfortune of purchasing the card before any of the bad reviews came to
    my attention (I did look for reviews before buying...). DTV freezes at
    random when recording certain channels. Re-installing/upgrading the
    drivers is also a pain. I have only managed to get that to work by
    physically moving the card to another slot.

    Eric Millican webboy@somerandomdomain.com

    On Tue, 01 Feb 2005 16:18:58 -0600, Eric Millican
    <webboy@somerandomdomain.com> wrote:

    >On Tue, 01 Feb 2005 12:19:47 -0800, Phil R <screenname@domain.com> wrote:
    >> http://www.scorptec.com.au/index.php?prdid=00009900
    >
    >It looks like this card only supports DVB, not ATSC. Not sure where in
    >the world you're located, but if the card doesn't support ATSC, you
    >can't use it in the US (and probably Canada, too).
    >
    >> http://shop.ati.com/product.asp?sku=2546404
    >
    >The software and drivers for this card are really bad. I have the
    >misfortune of purchasing the card before any of the bad reviews came to
    >my attention (I did look for reviews before buying...). DTV freezes at
    >random when recording certain channels. Re-installing/upgrading the
    >drivers is also a pain. I have only managed to get that to work by
    >physically moving the card to another slot.

    Keep in mind, I'm only interested in viewing HD content only. I'm not
    using these cards as PVRs. So with that said, does your opinion
    change?

    --Phil

    Phil R. (screenname@domain.com) wrote in alt.tv.tech.hdtv:
    > Keep in mind, I'm only interested in viewing HD content only. I'm not
    > using these cards as PVRs. So with that said, does your opinion
    > change?

    There is zero effort needed to use these cards as PVRs...if you can watch
    HDTV with them, you can do recordings. Timer recordings are also simple to
    do.

    That said, the MyHD software (for the MIT MDP-1xx cards) is absolutely the
    best commercial software designed for any of these cards. Currently, it
    does timer recordings, one-touch recordings, and "time shift" (watching
    behind live TV). In the next major software release (later this year,
    probably), it will allow you to watch a recording while recording something
    else. This will give it all the functionality of TiVo with respect to
    "simple" (possibly repeating) recordings. With the built-in TitanTV
    integration, you get some search-based recording capability, although not
    automatic.

    MyHD will also play DVDs in spectacular fashion, although you need a program
    like AnyDVD to disable the CSS encryption on the disk.

    --

    On Tue, 1 Feb 2005 18:56:10 -0500, Jeff Rife <wevsr@nabs.net> wrote:

    >Phil R. (screenname@domain.com) wrote in alt.tv.tech.hdtv:
    >> Keep in mind, I'm only interested in viewing HD content only. I'm not
    >> using these cards as PVRs. So with that said, does your opinion
    >> change?
    >
    >There is zero effort needed to use these cards as PVRs...if you can watch
    >HDTV with them, you can do recordings. Timer recordings are also simple to
    >do.

    I thought, inherently, capturing HD video would be a little more
    tricky than just to view it, no?

    >That said, the MyHD software (for the MIT MDP-1xx cards) is absolutely the
    >best commercial software designed for any of these cards. Currently, it
    >does timer recordings, one-touch recordings, and "time shift" (watching
    >behind live TV). In the next major software release (later this year,
    >probably), it will allow you to watch a recording while recording something
    >else. This will give it all the functionality of TiVo with respect to
    >"simple" (possibly repeating) recordings. With the built-in TitanTV
    >integration, you get some search-based recording capability, although not
    >automatic.

    I'm not sure If I can wait that long. I'm dying to get my hands on
    this Fusion HDTV3 card.

    >MyHD will also play DVDs in spectacular fashion,

    How so? Aren't I getting the best picture possible playing the DVD
    through PowerDVD/WinDVD on my monitor? Disabling that function through
    AnyDVD does what exactly? Curious.

    --Phil

    "Phil R." <screenname@domain.com> wrote in message
    > On Tue, 1 Feb 2005 16:13:11 -0500, Jeff Rife <wevsr@nabs.net> wrote:
    >
    >>Phil R. (screenname@domain.com) wrote in alt.tv.tech.hdtv:
    >>> http://www.scorptec.com.au/index.php?prdid=00009900
    >>
    >>Never heard of it. If I were to get a software card today, I'd get the
    >>Fusion III.
    >>

    > I just downloaded the demo version with the demo clips. Unbelievable.
    >
    > Thanks for the suggestion.
    >
    > --Phil

    You should see those clips on a native 1080p display, like the Samsung 240t.
    _Really_ beautiful.

    On Tue, 1 Feb 2005 19:15:48 -0500, "David" <davey@home.net> wrote:

    >"Phil R." <screenname@domain.com> wrote in message

    >>>Never heard of it. If I were to get a software card today, I'd get the
    >>>Fusion III.
    >>>

    >> I just downloaded the demo version with the demo clips. Unbelievable.
    >>
    >> Thanks for the suggestion.
    >>
    >> --Phil
    >
    >You should see those clips on a native 1080p display, like the Samsung 240t.
    >_Really_ beautiful.

    I watched them on my flatscreen Sony Trinitron monitor, and I gasped
    with amazement. The resolution on my monitor goes up to 1900x1700 I
    believe. It's stunning.

    --Phil

    Phil R. (screenname@domain.com) wrote in alt.tv.tech.hdtv:
    > I thought, inherently, capturing HD video would be a little more
    > tricky than just to view it, no?

    Nope. The bit rate is nothing for modern hard drive writes.

    > >That said, the MyHD software (for the MIT MDP-1xx cards) is absolutely the
    > >best commercial software designed for any of these cards. Currently, it
    > >does timer recordings, one-touch recordings, and "time shift" (watching
    > >behind live TV). In the next major software release (later this year,
    > >probably), it will allow you to watch a recording while recording something
    > >else. This will give it all the functionality of TiVo with respect to
    > >"simple" (possibly repeating) recordings. With the built-in TitanTV
    > >integration, you get some search-based recording capability, although not
    > >automatic.
    > >

    > I'm not sure If I can wait that long. I'm dying to get my hands on
    > this Fusion HDTV3 card.

    Just get the MDP-130 in 15 days and use the current very good software:
    http://www.digitalconnection.com/Products/Video/mdp130.asp

    The new software will just install over the old and give new features.

    > >MyHD will also play DVDs in spectacular fashion,
    >
    > How so? Aren't I getting the best picture possible playing the DVD
    > through PowerDVD/WinDVD on my monitor?

    Well, first your monitor isn't 42" diagonal, right? The MyHD cards have
    built-in component video output, so it's easy to connect to an HDTV. You
    can also get a daughtercard with DVI output.

    Second, the scaler in the MyHD card is very, very good, so you can watch
    DVDs at 720p or 1080i on a big screen. It's also a hardware decoder,
    so DVD playback takes about 1% CPU on my P4 2.4GHz.

    > Disabling that function through
    > AnyDVD does what exactly?

    AnyDVD is a "DeCSS on the fly" driver that allows any app to see a
    copy-protected DVD-Video disc as if it isn't copy-protected. This is
    necessary for MyHD since they could not get permission to play DVDs from
    the DVD Consortium because they up-scale and output to "insecure" outputs
    (component video and DVI).

    --
    Jeff Rife | "Ahhh, what an awful dream! Ones and zeroes

    On Tue, 1 Feb 2005 23:16:29 -0500, Jeff Rife <wevsr@nabs.net> wrote:

    >> I'm not sure If I can wait that long. I'm dying to get my hands on
    >> this Fusion HDTV3 card.
    >
    >Just get the MDP-130 in 15 days and use the current very good software:
    > http://www.digitalconnection.com/Products/Video/mdp130.asp
    >
    >The new software will just install over the old and give new features.

    I'll have to think about this. You might want to convince me some
    more.

    >> >MyHD will also play DVDs in spectacular fashion,
    >>
    >> How so? Aren't I getting the best picture possible playing the DVD
    >> through PowerDVD/WinDVD on my monitor?
    >
    >Well, first your monitor isn't 42" diagonal, right?

    No.. but I have friends who do and I can tell you that the resolution
    on my monitor is far superior than their 42" HDTV. It looks great, but
    man, does HD shine on my monitor. I'm not really in the market for an
    HDTV, so this will have to do for me.

    >The MyHD cards have
    >built-in component video output, so it's easy to connect to an HDTV. You
    >can also get a daughtercard with DVI output.

    Yeah, this is what's going to sell me on this card. Whether or not I
    plan on getting an HDTV sometime soon, and it doesn't look like I am.

    >Second, the scaler in the MyHD card is very, very good, so you can watch
    >DVDs at 720p or 1080i on a big screen.

    How can a DVD output at 1080i? I thought the highest resolution is
    around 680p/720p?

    >> Disabling that function through
    >> AnyDVD does what exactly?
    >
    >AnyDVD is a "DeCSS on the fly" driver that allows any app to see a
    >copy-protected DVD-Video disc as if it isn't copy-protected. This is
    >necessary for MyHD since they could not get permission to play DVDs from
    >the DVD Consortium because they up-scale and output to "insecure" outputs
    >(component video and DVI).

    I see. But how does AnyDVD up-scale the DVD? What I am to believe here
    is that DVDs can be stretched to a higher resolution output using
    certain programs?

    > On Tue, 1 Feb 2005 19:15:48 -0500, "David" <davey@home.net> wrote:
    >
    >>"Phil R." <screenname@domain.com> wrote in message

    >>> I just downloaded the demo version with the demo clips. Unbelievable.
    >>>
    >>> Thanks for the suggestion.
    >>>
    >>> --Phil

    >>You should see those clips on a native 1080p display, like the Samsung
    >>240t.
    >>_Really_ beautiful.
    >>
    > I watched them on my flatscreen Sony Trinitron monitor, and I gasped
    > with amazement. The resolution on my monitor goes up to 1900x1700 I
    > believe. It's stunning.
    >
    > --Phil

    It sure is. :-0
    Are you using DVI with your monitor?
    I saw a huge improvement when I changed over to it.

    On Wed, 2 Feb 2005 06:14:25 -0500, "David" <davey@home.com> wrote:

    > > I watched them on my flatscreen Sony Trinitron monitor, and I gasped
    >> with amazement. The resolution on my monitor goes up to 1900x1700 I
    >> believe. It's stunning.
    >>
    >> --Phil
    >

    >It sure is. :-0
    >Are you using DVI with your monitor?
    >I saw a huge improvement when I changed over to it.

    No. Right now, I'm testing the software and the HD clips that came
    with it. I'm not sure which card I will purchase... one with the DVI
    output w/optional daughter card or without. I'm leaning towards just
    viewing OTA HD on my monitor and go from there.

    --Phil

    On Tue, 01 Feb 2005 14:38:41 -0800, Phil R <screenname@domain.com> wrote:
    >>my attention (I did look for reviews before buying...). DTV freezes at
    >>random when recording certain channels. Re-installing/upgrading the
    >>drivers is also a pain. I have only managed to get that to work by
    >>physically moving the card to another slot.
    >
    > Keep in mind, I'm only interested in viewing HD content only. I'm not
    > using these cards as PVRs. So with that said, does your opinion
    > change?

    No. The problem has occurred while watching live TV as well. I tend
    not to watch live TV on the channel that usually causes problems for
    recordings, so that may have something to do with it. Keep in mind that
    the only difference with live vs. recorded TV with the HDTV wonder is
    that recorded means the stream is written to the disk in a more
    permanent manner. As far as I can tell, there's no way to disable the
    trick play functions in DTV, so it's always writing something to the
    disk.

    Eric Millican webboy@somerandomdomain.com

    I downloaded the Fusion 2.6 demo and all the demo clips but none of
    them play. Fusion comes up (but with an error about the date), and
    then I open folder the clips are in and hit the play button but
    nothing happens. Also, in the Config screen the video and audio
    decoders pulldows are corrupt - they show various ascii chars. Have
    redownloaded and reinstalled, same thing.

    Using Radeon 8500 with current drivers, P4 2.8GHz (intel 850emv mobo).
    I googled and groups but nothing yet. Any ideas?

    Jeff Rife wroteL
    > This is necessary for MyHD since they could not get permission to play
    DVDs from
    > the DVD Consortium because they up-scale and output to "insecure" outputs
    > (component video and DVI).

    The Broadcast Flag becomes mandatory in the US starting July 2005. Any word
    on what changes MyHD and the other HDTV PCI cards will do in order to
    remain on the market after July 2005?

    Near as I can tell, none of the HDTV PCI cards utilize one or more of the 13
    approved DRM methods for handling BF'ed content, as described in:

    http://hraunfoss.fcc.gov/edocs_public/attachmatch/DOC-250532A1.pdf
    http://hraunfoss.fcc.gov/edocs_public/attachmatch/FCC-04-193A1.pdf
    http://hraunfoss.fcc.gov/edocs_public/attachmatch/FCC-04-193A2.pdf

    Take special note that "insecure outputs" and insecure recordings will
    become
    no-nos starting in July.

    I didn't want this thread to become boring ;-)

    Thomas Gilg

    news.cup.hp.com (thomasDELME_gilgDELME@hpDELME.com) wrote in alt.tv.tech.hdtv:
    > The Broadcast Flag becomes mandatory in the US starting July 2005. Any word
    > on what changes MyHD and the other HDTV PCI cards will do in order to
    > remain on the market after July 2005?

    MIT has said that any MyHD card sold before July 1, 2005 will *never* have
    the recordings encrypted on disk.

    I don't know what they will do about cards sold after that date.

    --
    Jeff Rife | "I have a question that could affect our entire
    | relationship...did you kill Coach Mattay?"
    | "No!"
    | "But, you did dress him up like a woman...?"
    | "Yeah."
    | "Just checking."
    | -- Alex Lambert and Brian Hackett, "Wings"

    > >> How so? Aren't I getting the best picture possible playing the DVD
    > >> through PowerDVD/WinDVD on my monitor?
    > >
    > >Well, first your monitor isn't 42" diagonal, right?
    >
    > No.. but I have friends who do and I can tell you that the resolution
    > on my monitor is far superior than their 42" HDTV.

    For standard DVDs, I'm sure that even an EDTV has far more than enough
    resolution. I have no problem sitting 5 feet away from my 38" set and
    watching DVDs (although that's closer than I normally sit) even though
    it has less resolution than my computer monitor. But, from 5' away, it's
    a lot bigger.

    Basically, the extra resolution of HD is mostly wasted on a small monitor,
    even if it can display full HD resolution.

    > >Second, the scaler in the MyHD card is very, very good, so you can watch
    > >DVDs at 720p or 1080i on a big screen.
    >
    > How can a DVD output at 1080i? I thought the highest resolution is
    > around 680p/720p?
    >
    > I see. But how does AnyDVD up-scale the DVD?

    OK, you seem very confused.

    MyHD can play back DVDs as long as they aren't copy-protected. It can
    output the DVD video at any "standard" resolution (640x480/60i, 640x480/60p,
    1280x720/60p, 1920x1080/60i, 852x480/60p, plus about 8 more). The problem
    is that only about 1% of commercial DVDs have no copy protection. This
    is where AnyDVD comes it. It is a driver that makes every DVD look like
    they aren't copy-protected (because AnyDVD removes the copy-protection on
    the fly).

    Now, up-scaling DVDs has some advantages. With a good scaler, you can
    improve the quality by "filling in" between pixels that actually exist on
    the DVD. This makes them appear to have a higher resolution than they
    actually have, which is very important when you are viewing on a 40"+
    display.

    Up-scaling the DVD while still in the digital domain has even more
    advantages. Doing the scaling inside the DVD player is even better,
    because then you have access to *all* the MPEG information.

    Software DVD players can also do this, but they have several drawbacks:
    - most have lousy scalers (ZoomPlayer is an exception)
    - getting the output to anything but a computer monitor is tough
    - calibrating the output correctly (black level, contrast, color) isn't
    easy

    --
    Jeff Rife | "Space. It seems to go on and on forever. But

    Jeff Rife wrote:
    > MIT has said that any MyHD card sold before July 1, 2005 will *never* have
    > the recordings encrypted on disk.

    For a variety of reasons it would be hard to retroactively bring older
    systems
    into compliance, but fortunately, the mandate only applies to systems sold
    after July.

    I'll be honest, I'm glad I have 2 "old" MyHD cards so far ;-)

    Thomas Gilg

    ** >> DO NOT get the HDTV WONDER™ << **

    I have one and it is TOTAL GARBAGE !!

    Dead...

    wrote:

    >http://www.scorptec.com.au/index.php?prdid=00009900
    >
    >http://shop.ati.com/product.asp?sku=2546404
    >
    >http://www.digitalconnection.com/Products/Video/mdp120.asp
    >
    >I'm having trouble deciding.
    >
    >Thanks.
    >
    >--Phil

    Does anyone know of a hdtv pci card with a hdmi output? Most I have
    seen have component video outputs at best. Can anyone tell me how the
    resolution varies between the two? Does component video allow for
    1080i?

    --
    Danoelise

    "Danoelise" <Danoelise.1k1hhy@satelliteguys.us> wrote in message

    > Does anyone know of a hdtv pci card with a hdmi output?

    You'll probably never see one, as those are normally filled with copy
    protection schemes that can be easily defeated on a computer.

    However, many cards out there have DVI outputs, most, if not all, can be
    converted to HDMI with a simple cable or adapter.

    > Most I have
    > seen have component video outputs at best. Can anyone tell me how the
    > resolution varies between the two?

    I see no difference.

    > Does component video allow for
    > 1080i?

    Yup. The only real difference is that the signal is converted to analog at
    the source, rather than the destination. Supposedly, HDMI/DVI is 'better'
    for the signal, but as I said, I've noticed no difference between the two.
    The only reason I switched from my HDMI/DVI cable to component is so I could
    run my sat and DVD through my A/V receiver, simplifying the switching
    between the two so I didn't have to juggle remotes, or show the frustrated
    wife which button to push when.

    Pagan

    > You'll probably never see one, as those are normally filled with copy
    > protection schemes that can be easily defeated on a computer.
    >
    > However, many cards out there have DVI outputs, most, if not all, can be
    > converted to HDMI with a simple cable or adapter.
    ATI provides a method of doing this in the sense that the HDTV Wonder
    can have its output via one of ATI's high end video cards. We use a
    Crucial Radeon X800 video adapter that is HDMI and HDCP compliant. This
    output is connected to the HDMI input on a Sharp Aquous LC-45GD6U.
    There are several catches. We don't have the HDTV Wonder. It is
    currently unavailable from multiple suppliers and has also has received
    very bad user reviews due to poor receiver sensitivity and software
    problems. An alternative might be the MyHD card. It is, however, my
    understanding that it uses the same receiver as the ATI and it doesn't
    support HDMI and HDCP. Also, the MyHD software will not time shift
    analog TV.
    What is needed is a quality, sensitive receiver that is capable of
    receiving OTA HD and analog TV, and cable analog TV. It should also be
    able to accept Satellite and Cable HDMI output and hardware convert
    these data to MPEG-2 or MPEG-4 format. Unfortunately, such a beast does
    not exist at the consumer level.
    The HDTV Wonder is probably the best current compromise given its HDMI
    connectivity and HDMI/HDCP compliance via ATIs video adapters, and the
    time shifting application software. You would, however, have the severe
    problems of poor receiver sensitivity and shaky driver software.

    Robbie

    Robbie <robbiex@bellsouth.net> wrote (in part):

    >We don't have the HDTV Wonder. It is
    >currently unavailable from multiple suppliers and has also has received
    >very bad user reviews due to poor receiver sensitivity and software
    >problems. An alternative might be the MyHD card. It is, however, my
    >understanding that it uses the same receiver as the ATI

    It uses some ATI chips, but I haven't read of sensitivity problems,
    and my MDP-120 seems comparable to my LG LST-3410A, which many have
    praised for its sensitivity. I have no reception problems with either
    even though one local station is on low power.

    > and it doesn't support HDMI and HDCP.

    Unlike the ATI HDTV Wonder the MyHD card has its own output in
    addition to appearing on whatever video card you have. Component on
    the card, and you can add a DVI daughterboard. DVI is easily
    converted to HDMI. It does not support HDCP, but that's not a problem
    for source devices. Some would say it's a plus. The problem comes if
    the source supports it but the destination (the display) does not.

    > Also, the MyHD software will not time shift analog TV.

    No, but the latest software will timeshift digital. I wouldn't buy an
    HDTV card to do much of anything with analog.

    >What is needed is a quality, sensitive receiver that is capable of
    >receiving OTA HD and analog TV, and cable analog TV.

    The MyHD cards will do all of these. The new MDP-130 (not available
    yet, but soon) will also handle unscrambled QAM, which is what most
    cable companies use for the broadcast digitals they carry.

    > It should also be
    >able to accept Satellite and Cable HDMI output and hardware convert
    >these data to MPEG-2 or MPEG-4 format. Unfortunately, such a beast does
    >not exist at the consumer level.

    And won't any time soon. Aside from the fact the MPAA would go
    ballistic if someone offered that at a consumer price, it requires
    some pretty sophisticated hardware to do high-quality real-time HD
    data compression. And it doesn't make a lot of sense to recompress it
    anyway. Much better to grab it while it's still compressed.
    Unfortunately most tuners won't let you do that.

    What we really need for ease of use is a device to grab the transport
    stream, whether from a tuner or a disk file, make it ATSC if it isn't
    already and modulate it on a TV channel for any ATSC receiver to use.
    Dish Network offered such a device as an add-on for one of their
    receivers, but later changed their encoding format so that device
    doesn't work anymore.

    Del Mibbler

    Del Mibbler wrote:
    > Robbie <robbiex@bellsouth.net> wrote (in part):
    >

    >>We don't have the HDTV Wonder. It is
    >>currently unavailable from multiple suppliers and has also has received
    >>very bad user reviews due to poor receiver sensitivity and software
    >>problems. An alternative might be the MyHD card. It is, however, my
    >>understanding that it uses the same receiver as the ATI
    >

    > It uses some ATI chips, but I haven't read of sensitivity problems,
    > and my MDP-120 seems comparable to my LG LST-3410A, which many have
    > praised for its sensitivity. I have no reception problems with either
    > even though one local station is on low power.
    >

    >>and it doesn't support HDMI and HDCP.
    >

    > Unlike the ATI HDTV Wonder the MyHD card has its own output in
    > addition to appearing on whatever video card you have. Component on
    > the card, and you can add a DVI daughterboard. DVI is easily
    > converted to HDMI. It does not support HDCP, but that's not a problem
    > for source devices. Some would say it's a plus. The problem comes if
    > the source supports it but the destination (the display) does not.
    >

    >>Also, the MyHD software will not time shift analog TV.
    >

    > No, but the latest software will timeshift digital. I wouldn't buy an
    > HDTV card to do much of anything with analog.
    >

    >>What is needed is a quality, sensitive receiver that is capable of
    >>receiving OTA HD and analog TV, and cable analog TV.
    >

    > The MyHD cards will do all of these. The new MDP-130 (not available
    > yet, but soon) will also handle unscrambled QAM, which is what most
    > cable companies use for the broadcast digitals they carry.
    >

    >>It should also be
    >>able to accept Satellite and Cable HDMI output and hardware convert
    >>these data to MPEG-2 or MPEG-4 format. Unfortunately, such a beast does
    >>not exist at the consumer level.
    >

    > And won't any time soon. Aside from the fact the MPAA would go
    > ballistic if someone offered that at a consumer price, it requires
    > some pretty sophisticated hardware to do high-quality real-time HD
    > data compression. And it doesn't make a lot of sense to recompress it
    > anyway. Much better to grab it while it's still compressed.
    > Unfortunately most tuners won't let you do that.
    >
    > What we really need for ease of use is a device to grab the transport
    > stream, whether from a tuner or a disk file, make it ATSC if it isn't
    > already and modulate it on a TV channel for any ATSC receiver to use.
    > Dish Network offered such a device as an add-on for one of their
    > receivers, but later changed their encoding format so that device
    > doesn't work anymore.
    >
    > Del Mibbler
    Hi Del,

    I agree with your points. The real problem is the misguided efforts of
    the MPAA and the RIAA that have finally resulted in elimination of "fair
    use" after many years of trying to do this. Their effort to restrict
    technology has recently been abetted by a very consumer unfriendly FCC.
    I agree that authors have the right to protect their property, but this
    shouldn't be at the expense of unnecessarily hindering consumer use of
    technology. The ability to temporarily store, time shift, and distribute
    digital data throughout one's home is a great asset and it is a shame
    that it is so difficult to do this. We use a LAN connected computer
    based jukebox for audio. We own all the CDs, but it is certainly nice to
    have the convenience of the jukebox.

    Robbie

    Del Mibbler (mibbler@nycap.rr.com) wrote in alt.tv.tech.hdtv:
    > >What is needed is a quality, sensitive receiver that is capable of
    > >receiving OTA HD and analog TV, and cable analog TV.
    >
    > The MyHD cards will do all of these. The new MDP-130 (not available
    > yet, but soon) will also handle unscrambled QAM, which is what most
    > cable companies use for the broadcast digitals they carry.

    Digital Connection just started shipping the MDP-130.

    --
    Jeff Rife | "I have a question that could affect our entire
    | relationship...did you kill Coach Mattay?"
    | "No!"
    | "But, you did dress him up like a woman...?"
    | "Yeah."
    | "Just checking."
    | -- Alex Lambert and Brian Hackett, "Wings"

HDTV TV PCI Home Theatre Product