Video Driver Failure

jerkinjohn

Distinguished
Apr 8, 2009
I hope I'm posting this in the right thread. I was playing a game on my PC tonight and all the sudden the game froze on me! I haven't had that happen since I built it a few months ago. I wasn't sure what to do because I couldn't use my mouse or Esc. key, they didn't do anything so I hit Ctrl Alt Delete. A few seconds went by and I was back to windows but the resolution was way down at 600X800 like it was in safe mode. A window popped up that said " Video Driver failure report to microsoft after rebooting". Well I tried to shut it down but it wouldn't so I had to hit the main power switch on the PSU to shut it down.

I rebooted and everything seems to be back to normal and I also tried the same game again that I was playing when this happened and all is well. Running like it should. Through the device manager I looked up the driver and did a scan to see if it was up to date and it said yes. Could this just be a glitch? Just something gone a little hay wire for a minute? Or could I have a problem with my GPU driver? It's been working with out a problem for months and I'm not even sure if I should be concerned about so I figured I would ask you guy's. If you need more details just let me know. Specs, ect.....

Some drivers can be flaky. With an intermittent issue like that, it could be a few different things. I wouldn't be concerned with it yet. If it happens again, you may want to go to the video card manufacturer's website to see if there is an updated driver available.

jerkinjohn

Distinguished
Apr 8, 2009
Thank you! I have looked it up and there was a new one released on the 21st. I have done a couple conservative steps that may have helped and I'll just play it by ear like you said. If it continues I will try the newer video driver. ;)

TRENDING THREADS