Your question

8800GTX SLI problem. Help please!!!!!

Tags:
  • Graphics Cards
  • Graphics
  • Product
Last response: in Graphics & Displays
June 12, 2007 8:59:27 PM

So I updated latest drivers for everything (VGA driver, logitech setpoint manager, etc.) Everything was working fine until I got in BF2142. Right after the game finished loading, both mouse and keyboard became inactive. None of the button would work and the mouse cursor would not move, period. I could only Alt+Tab or bring up the task manager bar. Everything was working fine while I was in the general game menu but just after joining a server and complete loading, everything just stop working. I joined many servers and the same problem occurred. I disabled Setpoint and the same problem happened. Disabling SLI while both cards in the machine produced the same problem. If only one card was plugged in, everything was working just fine. I tried w/ and w/o rivatuner, same problem. The x-fi card was running just fine, too. WTF??? Any help would be appreciated! TIA!

Here's my comp stat:
C2D E6400
EVGA 680i SE SLI mobo
Crucial Ballixtix DDR2-1000 4GB
Thermalright Ultra 120 Extreme
Creative X-fi Fatal1ty
2 8800GTX SLI (EVGA + XFX)
WD 150GB Raptor drive
Corsair HX620
Window XP pro 64 bit OS.

More about : 8800gtx sli problem

June 12, 2007 9:45:55 PM

Try flipping your cards. I had a problem whereby when SLI was enabled, things were slower than with one and sometimes everything just froze up but not crash.

Flipping cards fixed it.? don't know why in my case.

Also make sure your PS is strong enough as it is not listed in your data. The extra card may be drawing to much juice when switching to SLI mode as they do.

Last, try first with one card see if that works than try with just the other. One of your cards may have some sort of voltage regulator issue. Again, this is something one of my earlier cards experienced.

good luck
June 12, 2007 9:59:33 PM

Quote:
Try flipping your cards. I had a problem whereby when SLI was enabled, things were slower than with one and sometimes everything just froze up but not crash.

Also make sure your PS is strong enough as it is not listed in your data. The extra card may be drawing to much juice when switching to SLI mode as they do.

Last, try first with one card see if that works than try with just the other. One of your cards may have some sort of voltage regulator issue. Again, this is something one of my earlier cards experienced.

good luck

I used Corsair HX620 620W. This is definitely more than adequate to power 2 8800GTX's.
Related resources
June 12, 2007 10:36:49 PM

I'm suprized you are even able to run this SLI setup, since you have two different manufacturer's cards in your system.
June 12, 2007 10:49:50 PM

You can run different cards but it is not reccommended. But I would say it is the power supply. You only have 50A on the 12V rail and each 8800gtx calls for as much as 28A.

Good luck
June 12, 2007 11:01:31 PM

Are you sure your psu is up to the task. On nvidia's SLI certified powersupply list for two GTX's it lists nothing below 750 W, even the next step down doesn't list anything below 650 W.
Linkage: http://www.slizone.com/object/slizone_build_psu.html

Is this problem only happening in BF2142 or are there other games not running. Have you tried both cards in single configuration to see the second card is working at all?
Also it should not be a problem to run different brand cards in SLI as long as they are based on the same core.

GL
June 12, 2007 11:10:35 PM

It isn't so much the watts on his power supply that are lacking, but the amperage on the 12V rails. I'm not so sure that psu can push out the amperage needed for 2 8800gtx's.
June 12, 2007 11:18:24 PM

Bizarrely enough, the title of this thread is crap. It doesn't actually relate to the problem which is BF2142 and the Nvidia drivers, and a conflict with the soundcard.

If you are a victim of this common error, stick tight, play something else and wait for the patch.
June 12, 2007 11:34:45 PM

I didn't even know there was a problem there. I have an X-Fi and a 8800GTX and have no problems playing BF2142.
a c 274 U Graphics card
June 13, 2007 1:02:59 AM

You can run two different makes of card in Sli without problems, I have been for nearly a year now (Asus & XFX) and your PSU should be OK (I also use a 620HX) your problems may well be as The_Abyss suggests something to do with the Nvidia driver version you are using, have you tried any earlier drivers?, or failing that what about using a 32bit install of XP to play your games on?.
June 13, 2007 3:55:18 AM

I don't think the dual 8800GTX is causing the problem. After running just one card, the same problem exist. Mouse and keyboard became unresponsive after the game finished loading. Strange thing is they both function properly while in general game menu still. Reinstalling the game and latest patch did not help.
June 13, 2007 12:38:24 PM

Quote:

good luck

I used Corsair HX620 620W. This is definitely more than adequate to power 2 8800GTX's.

Hmm, 620W, I don't know. It may be just adequate for your 2 8800GTX's but when you add mobo, cpu, 4GB of RAM, cards, drives etc., then you put both cards under full load in game...well I really don't think you do.

It may be marginal and run but wont be stable and could damage your system. PSU's don't warn you when they go bad.
June 13, 2007 1:16:47 PM

Quote:
You can run different cards but it is not reccommended. But I would say it is the power supply. You only have 50A on the 12V rail and each 8800gtx calls for as much as 28A.

Good luck

Hardly true, nvidia's specification for power draw includes the cpu, memory, haddrives and other components and their 8800GTX, in this case, to draw 28A. Each card only draws about 12-15A. Hardly 28A for each graphic card.

i'd recommend to have about 45A or more on the 12V rails to support an 8800GTX Sli setup and not go overboard on harddrives or overclocks.

So in the end his Corsair 620W is more than up for the job based on its ratings. Something else must be amiss.
June 13, 2007 1:46:47 PM

Quote:

Good luck

Hardly true, nvidia's specification for power draw includes the cpu, memory, haddrives and other components and their 8800GTX, in this case, to draw 28A. Each card only draws about 12-15A. Hardly 28A for each graphic card.

i'd recommend to have about 45A or more on the 12V rails to support an 8800GTX Sli setup and not go overboard on harddrives or overclocks.

So in the end his Corsair 620W is more than up for the job based on its ratings. Something else must be amiss.

Anandtech tests of dual 8800GTX SLI states this: "Armed with four PCIe power connectors, the 1kW unit handled the incredible load placed on it by two 8800 GTX cards without a problem. Total system power consumption when running our benchmarks, at times, peaked at over 520W with the SLI setup." on a system similar to his.

So if their system can peak to 520W under load and your running 620W which is likely to be the peak manufacture wattage under ideal conditions of 25C or so I still think you're hitting the max power of that PS. It does not leave much room for fluctuations or drop in efficiency due to heat build up. Its just not safe. A PCP&C 750Watt yes, a 1Kw PS yes, a 620Watt no or marginal at best.
June 13, 2007 2:26:22 PM

I don't want to start a whole other debate about the power draw of 8800GTX's in SLi but trust me i've looked it up and although i would not recommend from the outset to get this Corsair 620W psu in this type of configuration it is more than capable based on its ratings, as it can deliver 50A on the 12V rails.

Its rated at 620W at 50C with a 5 yr warranty. The PC P and P is rated at 750W at 40C with a 3 yr warranty. So in the end this is a quality unit, combine that with the fact that 8800GTX in SLi power requirements are over exagerrated everyday this system should be fine and stable unless he has a plethora of hard drives and fans and accessories in his computer along with an overclock. Unless there is a problem with the psu it should be perfectly stable for now.

Again in the long run i would too want some more headroom for overclocking or more hard drives or what have you but for now, for how long the op has had this system it is not the psu it is something else.

EDIT: Was it so long ago that a very hot X1900XT Crossfire setup and an overclocked Core 2 X6800 with no less than 4 120mm fans and a gigabyte liquid cooling system were run on a 620W power supply. HERE

Now a 8800GTX which consumes only slightly more power than a X1950XTX and we all need 1KW psu's! 8O
June 13, 2007 3:07:25 PM

Quote:
I don't want to start a whole other debate about the power draw of 8800GTX's in SLi but trust me i've looked it up and although i would not recommend from the outset to get this Corsair 620W psu in this type of configuration it is more than capable based on its ratings, as it can deliver 50A on the 12V rails.

Its rated at 620W at 50C with a 5 yr warranty. The PC P and P is rated at 750W at 40C with a 3 yr warranty. So in the end this is a quality unit, combine that with the fact that 8800GTX in SLi power requirements are over exagerrated everyday this system should be fine and stable unless he has a plethora of hard drives and fans and accessories in his computer along with an overclock. Unless there is a problem with the psu it should be perfectly stable for now.

Again in the long run i would too want some more headroom for overclocking or more hard drives or what have you but for now, for how long the op has had this system it is not the psu it is something else.

EDIT: Was it so long ago that a very hot X1900XT Crossfire setup and an overclocked Core 2 X6800 with no less than 4 120mm fans and a gigabyte liquid cooling system were run on a 620W power supply. HERE

Now a 8800GTX which consumes only slightly more power than a X1950XTX and we all need 1KW psu's! 8O

That sounds like a well made "honestly" rated PSU. That makes a big difference compared to some Xbrand Fung Shuay PSU. I am personally leery of Corsair since I am on a third set of their much awarded XMS2 memory modules which have died off every month or so and they are in the business of high performance memory for the most part.

For Corsair I would have to call them out on their quality control just from past experience with their products. If this PSU is working as designed it should do well with no issues.
June 13, 2007 11:04:20 PM

Ahhh the system is crapping out. Now I am getting BSOD. Restoring manufacture setting and bios did not help. So I reformatted the drive. Hope this will resolve everything or at least most.
June 14, 2007 6:48:37 AM

Hi Warezme, I don't know if you heard this or not, but nvidia released an official statement regarding high voltage memory modules and their 680i chipsets (and others). Here's the link:

http://www.evga.com/articles/350.asp

Basically they say that the higher voltage is responsible for the failure and memory manufacturers have been notified.
June 14, 2007 12:26:20 PM

How much voltage and what speed are you running your memory at?

If your running at full speed or overclocked just back it down to ddr2-800 with low voltage and see if the problem continues.
June 22, 2007 6:59:52 PM

Quote:

One 8800 gtx runs on 400 watts alone so your misguided. You need atleast 800 watts of PSU to run dduel cards. I run a 1600 watt for my quad cards and it works but its not enough. You have to then add my duel/duel core processors fx74's which is 4 processors really then 8 gig of ram lights etc.

It works but its not what it should be.

Your machine needs a larger psu if you do not belive me call bfg or something vnvidea they will all tell you what I am saying. I can not tell you who I work for but I assure you I am correct in what I am stating.
June 22, 2007 7:45:52 PM

Quote:

One 8800 gtx runs on 400 watts alone so your misguided. You need atleast 800 watts of PSU to run dduel cards. I run a 1600 watt for my quad cards and it works but its not enough. You have to then add my duel/duel core processors fx74's which is 4 processors really then 8 gig of ram lights etc.

It works but its not what it should be.

Your machine needs a larger psu if you do not belive me call bfg or something vnvidea they will all tell you what I am saying. I can not tell you who I work for but I assure you I am correct in what I am stating.

Accoarding to SLI you don't even need a PSU over 975W to run two 8800 ULTRAs in SLI,

Check out this site and the first PSU they have certified.

http://www.slizone.com/object/slizone_build_psu.html

If you just have the 8800GTX you can go as low as 750 depending on what PSU you have.

Remember it's about the amps and the actual current being delivered, to a degree they are directly related to the overall rating in terms of watts but not directly and not one for one.

You have to consider the rails and the overall efficiency as well.
June 22, 2007 7:56:44 PM

Well, either way I am unable to get my cards to run more than a 60fps on company of heroes as a high... I switched the cards from top to bottom etc and no change. I called bfg and they said it can not be the cards.. wtf.. This is ridiculious..

I ran 250 fps with this one card solo last week and now they all run at 60 this is pathetic..

Drivers are current and im stuck..

as for the psu I just got off thhe phone as I stated and I was told thhe same as the company I work for.. 400 watts a piece.
June 22, 2007 8:27:51 PM

Perhaps this will help, according to this information you really only need 12V at 22Amps, of which only 11 of that has to be delivered to the card the other 11 to the MoBo (Dedicated to the Graphics card) (12*22=264Watts dedicated) Keep in mind these are minimums for SLi

Check out the info at this link:

http://www.slizone.com/object/slizone_howtobuild_2.html
June 22, 2007 9:35:59 PM

Have you tried testing your system with 3Dmark06 :?:

Mike.
June 22, 2007 10:33:56 PM

its a software problem, 100%, was working fine before, nto working now? install a fresh coy of xp on a spare hdd and give it a whirl, i bet everything will work fine.
June 23, 2007 12:09:33 AM

I can support that possibility, I would be also wouldn't be too surprised if your PSU hasn't stared to decay, that is in terms of performance, give the demand you have placed on it over time, sometimes faster then we think, it will fail to a point where it operates, but not at the levels required and as such, you start to have problems that can not be explained.

Anyway, just my two cents, as installing windows over, or on another drive doesn't cost anything, I suggest giving that a try.... IF not, get a new PSU.
June 23, 2007 7:13:37 PM

You are all scaring me... I bought a 700W GamerXtreme PSU so I could run two 8800GTS 640MB, and now im reading that I can't even run a single GTX card with this power supply? What will happen with the two 8800GTS 640MB cards I plan on putting in here?
a b U Graphics card
June 23, 2007 7:45:05 PM

Quote:
You are all scaring me... I bought a 700W GamerXtreme PSU so I could run two 8800GTS 640MB, and now im reading that I can't even run a single GTX card with this power supply? What will happen with the two 8800GTS 640MB cards I plan on putting in here?

Your psu will push 2 88gts,s just fine :wink:
June 23, 2007 7:57:52 PM

does any1 know how many amps the ocz gamextreme 700 watt has?
June 23, 2007 8:08:44 PM

So they all add up to 72????
June 23, 2007 8:16:17 PM

If your 8800GTX SLI cards work ok with other games it means either you have to update your drivers or find a patch for BF2142. However if this happens with other games probably is your PSU that cause the problems. I suggest you 700w PSU minimum for your setup. That's all i can tell.
!