A random lack of voices in Oblivion.

oswold

Distinguished
Feb 27, 2007
I know this question is not sound card related exactly, but the software forum is quite deserted.

In TES: Oblivion, when I first installed it, none of the NPCs would have voices when spoken to (all other sounds played). At first I thought this was just how it was in the game, but after I got a new heatsink, OCed the CPU, rearranged the wiring and got some new speakers, all the voices came back. Great!.

Now after dismantiling the PC for some cleaning, the voices have gone again. WTF. Do you think this would be a sound card problem or a data problem with the files or something?

My soundcard is a generic daughter card that came with my mobo made by Realtek.

It could be that Oblivion may be just by passing your audio card. Sounds odd, but I experienced a similar problem with a game called Galactic Civilization when I play it on my ThinkPad T40.

Most of the time when I start the game the ThinkPad will not play any sound at all in Gal Civ. I believe it uses a SoundMax chip. If I switch back to the desktop and play an MP3 song, I would here sound. Switching back to Gal Civ I get complete silence. Switching back to the desktop, I can hear the song.

Very, very rarely would I get sound when playing Gal Civ on my laptop. It was literally 1 out of 100 times (perhaps even lower chances than that) I would get sound. This problem only happened with Gal Civ, no other game or program reproduced this problem.

I tried everything from reinstalling the game, to reinstalling Windows XP, to installing updated sound drivers from IBM's website. Nothing I did increased the chances of hearing sound in Gal Civ.

My suggestion, if all else fails, is to simply install a SoundBlaster card. That should solve your problem.

oswold

Distinguished
Feb 27, 2007
Yes that sounds exactly whats happening to me, every so often the voices come back, but then go again. Whats annoying is that it did work once. I'll have another play around with the connections etc tomorrow

oswold

Distinguished
Feb 27, 2007
Yeah hows that going for ya? ( :roll: )

I got Supreme Commander this morning, and its having the same problem, only the music plays due the game. Cutscenes are fine, but there a no sound effects during gameplay. I dont think anyone can diagnose this problem so i'll just keep findiling with the connections untill they produce a result.