Build my own XP PC spec: any good?

joskos

Distinguished
May 17, 2007
i want to build my first ever pc system for personal use like word tpying, internet, email, uploads digital cam videos, store loads and loads of pictures from photo album (really HUGE).

i have come up with the following motherboard and processor:

P5N32-SLI Premium/WiFi-AP
Intel Core 2 Duo E6600 2.4GHz

shall i use the heatsink and fan included in the processor box or use the ARCTIC COOLING Freezer 7 Pro CPU COOLER?

and also the WiFi icluded with the motherboard, will it be able to pick my internet wirless connection?

do i have to buy an external graphics card to connect to the monitor? which one would you recommend?

I would read the motherboard manual cover to cover before building. Use the standard Intel heatsink; you can get an rpm adjuster if the noise if too loud. I use a zalman "fan mate" rpm adjuster, about $7 at Frys. If not gaming and using windows xp, the 7600gt will be more than adequate. I would recommend evga or bfg video cards. Some come with a lifetime warranty if you register them online.

g-paw

Splendid
Jan 31, 2006
Agree if your not seriously overclocking, use the retail HSF. While there is nothing wrong with the CPU/mobo it's really pretty high end, read expensive, for what you're doing. I have the BFG 7600GT and very happy with it and do pretty much what you are plus video editing. You could easily do with a 6300 or 6400 Intel or an AMD dual core. Sounds like you'll need a lot of storage, would suggest an Seagate 80GB SATA for you OS and programs and a 320GB for storage. If you can find a small Seagate for the OS and programs, it would work. Would get a case with a 120mm fan(s) for the quiet as well as passive cooling for the mobo. What is your budget?