Authorized dell service centers

nsanford

Distinguished
Aug 11, 2011
Hello,
I have a Dell Inspiron 1750 and the left touch pad mouse button is very loose and causes problems. The laptop is now out of warranty, but I have heard that there are problems with that touch pad and am wondering if service might be covered. Also I am having trouble locating an authorized DELL service center in the Dothan Alabama area. I am also having trouble signing into Windows after using a back up drive. The computer seemed to want to boot to that drive so I uninstalled the software and now I have multiple sign in identities and have to go through C Alt Del to reach the right one that allows me to sign into Windows. I need technical help in removing the extra sign in identities so that the computer defaults to the right user. I have been denied access to the other accounts so that I can remove them even though I am the administrator.

nsanford

Distinguished
Aug 11, 2011

Thank you for this information. I have not accessed the boot menu for a long time and if I remember correctly, I just press the escape key to exit that menu. I will be surprised if I can get to the accounts that I want to delete since I have been trying to do that from the Control panel. The problem is that before I can make any changes to the accounts that I want to manage, I have to sign in to those accounts and cannot sign in since my password is being rejected and I cannot seem to find a workable password reset backup which it demands that I use. When I select change users and then am able to eventually navigate to the original Dell sign in account with the proper password etc. the accounts that I need to get rid of do not display themselves. It seems as though I have to be signed in to those accounts to modify/delete them and I can't do that. I did a system recovery DVD on June 20th, 2011, but am fearful of using that since in might create more problems when all I want to do is work with my signin information to Windows 7. I am not sure if I can just navigate to a password reset option in the restoration DVD. Right now my computer works wekk with the with the hassle of going through a prolonged procedure to sign in and a poorly functioning touch pad. Once signed in, I use hibernate for awhile so that the right Windows Dell signin menu is displayed when I reboot my computer. I'm sorry to have such cold feet, but find that often I make a situation worse when I don't do the right thing. I may try the F8 boot menu option as long as I can be confident that I can escape the menu and return to Windows 7. Thanks for helping me. The Dell technical support site looks promising and I will contact them about the defective touch pad key.

were you able to log in using Safe Mode? in safe mode you should be able to log in as administrator and manage the other user accounts.

if you're logged in with an account, the obvious thing is, you cannot delete an account while it's in use. So, the method you're trying to use obviously wouldn't work.

What you want is to get on an admin account, use administrative tools to manage user accounts on the computer and then you can delete whichever ones you don't like/need.

If you don't have any precious data on your HDD (if you do, then I suggest to back it up) and just user your recovery disk. Chances are it will probably get you to a point where you can use your computer properly, if not, then just format the HDD and reinstall windows fresh that way you won't have any lingering user accounts.

nsanford

Distinguished
Aug 11, 2011

I don't want to delete the account that I am logged into and cannot delete the undesireble accounts unless I am logged into those accounts so that's the catch! I can't log into the accounts that I want to remove, so I can't remove them? I have so much data on my computer and programs that take special tweaking, like Corel Photo Shop II that had been problematic in installing the plugins that I like since I am running Windows 7 64 bit and many of the plugins are only compatible with a 32 bit filing system and take extra tweeking. So, I guess for now, I will just live with the round-a-bout techinque I now have to use to log in. I appreciate the advice I have received and cannot evaluate it's effectiveness until I try it.

nsanford

Distinguished
Aug 11, 2011
Yes, I read what you wrote. I am able to log in as the Administrator using an account other than the one that I want to get rid of. However, when I then select "manage accounts" the other account I want to delete is not displayed in the list of accounts to manage. Therefore, I cannot manage it. If from that menu I then select "change users" and the faulty sign in account is displayed,again, I cannot manage it since I cannot sign into it and that is the whole problem. I seem to have no way to manage the account that somehow is set as the default sign in user. If I could access the troublesome user account, I could reset the password and once I have a working password for that account I could then do what I want. But, that problem account will not allow me to change the password without a password reset disk which I don't have.

this account wouldn't happen to be the Administrator account?

it seems to me that you have some significant mess with UAP on your computer.

if you can access and back up the files that you need, I'd recommend to reformat the hard drive an install a clean copy of windows.