Distinguished
Dec 1, 2009
specs
CPU phenom X3 2.2
Ram 2GB
Vista home prem 32bit
vid ASUS ATI HD 4650 ram 1gb
550 watt PSU
whats happing with this computer is I reinstalled the computer to factory settings last night. put in the new video card. and started to install the drivers, and widnows updates. first thing I notice is that window update is running slow, and its hard for me to run more then one thing at a time. it keeps on crashing and saying not responding. at first I try to unstill and reinstall the vid card software. ( and i found that I didn't uninstall the old onboard nvidea drivers) that help a little, it went form 10 mins waiting on the program down to 3 mins. but I know thats not how vista is designed to run because we have two other vista machines in my house.

also it seems to do this more when installing and uninstalling programs and updates.

mtmuir

Distinguished
Dec 1, 2009
can you define tapped out that is a term I haven header before. ( that I can remember) as for whats running the only app is firefox right now
there are 53 process running. but one that is really sticking out is the TrustedInstaller.exe its taking up 104,080 of the system ram.

Tapped out = resources are all being used. Meaning, is the CPU useage getting up to 100% or close? Is the RAM?

Look in the process tab. Click on the cpu column to arrange by useage (highest on top). Look for the processes that are using high amounts of the CPU.

mtmuir

Distinguished
Dec 1, 2009
right now the most if firefox and the highest it has peaked is 7. also i talked to tec support ( shoots self in head) and the best option they could give me was that the system programs like updates was slowing it down

I just ran the update right now took 4 mins before firefox responded, but the highest the CPU is being used it 15% but its normaly around 7% so its not even close to max

Ram is in the 45% range

mtmuir

Distinguished
Dec 1, 2009
im going to try and do other stuff like install a few games, downloading some stuff, and maybe running a game or two to see if it happens outside of the windows updates

mtmuir

Distinguished
Dec 1, 2009
Update it crashed with three tabs, and steam installing
this sad to because i could do more on my XP P4 then this can grr I can't wait until i get the green for 7

Edit also Im installing WAW right now setup takes up 34% max Im starting to think vista was just being stupid with its updates

mtmuir

Distinguished
Dec 1, 2009
Yes AVG and malwarebytes ive run both both came out clean. added to that it is happening on a clean install.

it seems that most of my problems happen when vista programs like update defender, and the windows rating scan

also when i click on my computer it stops and about a min later i got there error,

logon process has failed to create the security options dialog

failure - security options

this happened mid way in typing this but I don't seem to be losing anything

mtmuir

Distinguished
Dec 1, 2009
I was doing some research in to the error and from what i can tell Norton Anti virus mite be the problem. it mite be that traces from the program when i uninstalled it are still in my HD some where

mtmuir

Distinguished
Dec 1, 2009
Im going to agree with you on that I was doing some research on it to error message, but I don't have threatfire installed

anyway im going to uninstall AVG and give this a try. then I will report back

mtmuir

Distinguished
Dec 1, 2009
its 100 times better, but i still get not responding when the vista updater is trying to install, or if im looking at advanced setting in prefrences.

can anyone tell me if this is normal with vista ( i haven't really had that much time with vista) and if there is any guides to make it run faster/ better

mtmuir

Distinguished
Dec 1, 2009
negative on that SP1 is installed.
also the problem didn't go away. im got the error. but it seems like it happens when i try to do stuff like updating, and the newest one was when i was formating a flash drive to see if it could use readyboost. slowed down but it isn't as bad

doing other stuff is ok games run great,, but it still seems like programs are installing slow. i guess i could learn to live with it.

also im having trouble installing SP2 it always fails for some reason

Edit when i ment slowed down im ment stopped cold but not as long as it was doing

mtmuir

Distinguished
Dec 1, 2009
Im going to try that in the morning ( can't get to the other computers yet)
quick question do you think this mite be a hardware problem. i don't think so because these mess ups only happen when it a microsoft system program running. if it were a hard drive or PSU problem wouldn't this happen with those running with out the other.

anyway I mite try reloading vista in i can't get it to work by 3pm tomorrow.

mtmuir

Distinguished
Dec 1, 2009
I agree. anyways I had a good three hours 58 dollar talk with microsoft trying everything to fix the problem, and we came to the conclusion that the recovery was messed up so when i reinstalled vista I was messed up. anyways i called ZT systems the people who made my machine, and there sending me the OEM disk for it.

its running better but still messing up to much

mtmuir

Distinguished
Dec 1, 2009
your most likely right there just saying that so the blame isn't on them. do you think a new recovery disk will work? also this happened after i did a recovery did i forget to say that?

mtmuir

Distinguished
Dec 1, 2009
wells its going to be monday before the disk comes in, but i was wondering. I have a 2nd PC from the same maker. its like this computer same motherboard, but the CPU is a AMD x2 core. but his came witha disk of windows vista 64bit. would it hurt if i tried his disk with my key? Im just asking because it mite give me something to do over the weekend.