Start Windows normally

Use up and down arrow keys to move the highlight

to your choice.

Seconds until windows starts:....
================================================

My keyboard doesn't respond. It counts down to

zero then freezes right there.

In CMOS, I've set the machine to boot first from

CD and I get the same results I've just indicated.

The CD drive is active but is not being addressed

in the boot process.

Can anyone tell me how to get my machine to boot

from my WinXP CD?

csheim

Distinguished
Aug 29, 2009
Yes, I can get at BIOS. It is only in the boot process, when posting hits the Windows executable that I lose the keyboard. To be even more accurate, the keyboard still have power, it is lighted, but there is no response from key presses. Similarly, the CD has power, but isn't addressed once the Windows executable is posted.

btk1w1

Distinguished
Oct 13, 2008
Does the CD drive light flicker during the POST like it is beginning to read the CD?

Or does it flicker briefly then stop and continue to boot?

How is the condition of the CD itself that you are trying to boot from?

csheim

Distinguished
Aug 29, 2009
Yes... for the most part, it is. Now, it won't boot at all, because it hangs at this early point in the boot process. However, it is an old and well-used install of Windows that probably wasn't far from a needed reinstall anyway. Having said that, I'd like to get it running again with this install of windows so I can back up files that will otherwise have to be salvaged by slaving the drive to another computer. And... I have reset the defaults in BIOS without any favorable change.

btk1w1

Distinguished
Oct 13, 2008
What I have done in the past is set the CD drive as the only boot device. Disable all other boot options.

This has forced the BIOS to only boot from the CD drive and not seek out any other available boot options.

Also, on my motherboard, I have a second page with boot options and my CD / DVD drive is selected there, although there is a CD drive option on the first. The drives actually show the manufacturer name.

If you try this method and it works, remember when the Windows install does it's first boot after copying the files over, to go straight into the BIOS before it boots up and include the HDD in the options again otherwise your PC will continue to boot from the CD and loop install.