How to make my slink-e work with windows vista

G

Is there a way to make my slink-e work with windows vista?

arkansastexan

Distinguished
Dec 12, 2009
The Slink-e itself is a hardware controller unit for communicating between a computer and your home or professional electronics equipment. The Slink-e communicates with any Sony S-link (Control-A1 (II) and Control-S) enabled equipment including CD changers. The Slink-e was manufactured and distributed by Nirvis but has since sold their company to Microsoft.

I am attempting to use the CDJ software, provided by Nirvis, to connect my Slink- with my laptop running Windows Vista Home Premium to my Sony Jukebox CDP CX455. I have made this connection successfully with my Dell desktop running Windows XP.

When I install the Slink-e software I receive an error message at the end of the installation that says: CDJ requires a version of Comct32.dll with a version of 4.71 or newer. A Comct32.dll update is available from the Microsoft website. This is the only time you will see this warning.

When I go to the Microsoft website there is quite a bit of information about the Comct32.dll file but I cannot figure out how to go about installing the said file. I did an advanced search for the file and find many existing files with this name. I am stumped?! Your assistance is much appreciated!

G

Comct32.dll file goes by the name common controls. This dll or dynamic link library contains code that generates controls like buttons, edit fields, and so on... Which version of the dll was loaded? version 5 or 6? U can have 2 version of the dll present on the machine, but the os has to know which one to load. Version 5 allows to load Windows Classic style look and feel. version 6 shows programs with Windows XP styles. Slinke on vista probably is looking for version 5 considering that it an older application. If u have a cd with XP service pack 1 on it, browse the cd and u will find the dll. Search the current vista image for the location of the current Comct32.dll and copy the version from the Xp SP1 disc to that location. Then launch slinke app to see if the error appears

arkansastexan

Distinguished
Dec 12, 2009
Comct32.dll file goes by the name common controls. This dll or dynamic link library contains code that generates controls like buttons, edit fields, and so on... Which version of the dll was loaded? version 5 or 6? U can have 2 version of the dll present on the machine, but the os has to know which one to load. Version 5 allows to load Windows Classic style look and feel. version 6 shows programs with Windows XP styles. Slinke on vista probably is looking for version 5 considering that it an older application. If u have a cd with XP service pack 1 on it, browse the cd and u will find the dll. Search the current vista image for the location of the current Comct32.dll and copy the version from the Xp SP1 disc to that location. Then launch slinke app to see if the error appears

Thank you very much for your instruction and information! What you have suggested makes very good sense and sounds plausable. I will give it try and see if it works. Thanks again!

TRENDING THREADS